• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice Amazing Fantasy #15 up on ebay - Too good to be true?

26 posts in this topic

Well he takes Paypal and apparently can write.

Probably legit in the sense he's not an outright scammer (send money you get nothing).

But buying that book raw in grades above 2.0 is awful risky.

It's his first eBay sale at least for that account too... hm

Too good to be true!?!? Anybody think this guy is legit? If so, that's a sweet copy!

"too good to be true"...yes

"anybody think this guy is legit"...no

just my opinion

gator

Here was his response to my $2500 bid:

We have Collected Spiderman since we were kids. I paid twice that for it at estate auction. Any collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If we do not find the right buyer this time, we'll wait and probly take it to a show to find the right buyer. We will not just give it away to make a dollar. We are selling off all our 30 years of collecting and it is going to take me a long time to go thru it all, as well as get acclimated with Ebay.

It is a comicbook that will well make its return down the years for the right collector. It has never been graded by a professional, however, from what I've read on it. It is in near mint condition. A rare find indeed.

Here was his response to my $2500 bid:

We have Collected Spiderman since we were kids. I paid twice that for it at estate auction. Any collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If we do not find the right buyer this time, we'll wait and probly take it to a show to find the right buyer. We will not just give it away to make a dollar. We are selling off all our 30 years of collecting and it is going to take me a long time to go thru it all, as well as get acclimated with Ebay.

It is a comicbook that will well make its return down the years for the right collector. It has never been graded by a professional, however, from what I've read on it. It is in near mint condition. A rare find indeed.

near mint with that spine wear and sub crease?...maybe a vg/fn?

thoughts?

rick

near mint with that spine wear and sub crease?...maybe a vg/fn?

thoughts?

rick

Yeah, I tried to explain to him that it was nowhere near a NM but he hasn't responded yet. Maybe a CGC 5.0 based upon the pics (??) which, if unrestored, would be worth around his asking price.

Hard pressed to see a FN with a noticeable subscription crease and that spine wear as Rick pointed out. I think 4.5-5.0 is a pretty fair assessment.

It'd be interesting to know if this is legit or not. Maybe send in the Paratrooper?-)

5,5 if it's a folding crease

4.5 if it's a sub-crease crease

Uh, what's the difference between a folding crease and a sub-crease crease? Why would a subscription crease impact the grade more? Would it be because it goes all the way through the book? (shrug)

tough to grade from pics... :eek:

Agreed! If I'm going to pay that much for a book, it needs to be either graded or I have to see it in hand. :sumo:

Just received this message from the seller. He's still got a lot to learn about grading (no way this is a CGC 6.0) but if he has as many books to sell as he claims (30 years worth), someone might want to give him a call. :popcorn:

I'll happily accept a finder's fee :wishluck:

Thanks for your insight. I've seen the 6.0 graded copies and again, I'm no expert in grading, however the 6.0 grading images I've seen are less quality than our book. However, I'm sure there is a range within the grading so who knows how it would turn out unless it is graded. Thanks Again for your insite, I've already learned a lot just from this one posting.

Even if it gets some proverbial "slack" at best it is still a high mid-grade but without a high res scan, pull a straw. (shrug)

I have found especially with older comics that pics from a slight distance especially in the right kind of lighting usually make something prettier then reality.

Higher range raw fines are actually fetching about $5K these days auction style at least; what the seller wants may be a different story:

AF 15