• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BUY: Hulk #55-59. AVOID: New X-Men #142-145

11 posts in this topic

I just read Hulk #55-59 yesterday, the "Hide in Plain Sight" storyline featuring the Absorbing Man. thumbsup2.gif This was one of the best storylines I've read in a long time, and I'm not even really a Hulk fan. I would highly, highly recommend picking up these issues or when it comes out in TPB format - I don't think you'll be disappointed. Furthermore, the storyline is removed from the whole "Mr. Blue" storyline, so you do not need to have read Hulk #34-54 to understand what's going on - aside from one or two references, it's basically a stand-alone story.

My appreciation for this tightly-woven story was made all the more higher since I read it immediately after the absolutely atrocious "Assault on Weapon Plus" storyline in New X-Men #142-145. foreheadslap.gif These are some of the worst issues I have ever read of any title. Definitely the low point of Morrison's run so far, and Chris Bachalo's art looks like a big steaming pile of 893censored-thumb.gif. Thankfully the current Planet X storyline looks somewhat more promising - at least there are some pretty pictures by Jimenez to look at.

Gene

gee - - this HULK storyline was the first since 34 that I couldnt stand. The artwork AND THE STORY. I WAS ENJOYING THE WHOLe MYSTERY FUGITIVE MR BLUE THING. (sorry I hit the caps key)

But I agree that the XMen storyline sucked . I just flipped thru the pages of each issue. And I have also like the New XMen since the new Quitely start.

I've never liked Hulk before, but I bought a copy of #34 out of sheer boredom. I've been a subscriber ever since. Some very very good stories in those pages.

Can't say anything about X-men though as I've never been an X-men fan nor reader.

Brian

Gene, can't agree with you on the Hulk storyline. That Absorbing Man storyline was just awful, and I don't know who that character was, but it sure wasn't the Absorbing Man, and that may be what tainted what might actually be a good story for me.

The first part of the story, the 25 cent issue (#55), was actually more harmful in the long run as it was probably one of the most offensive issues of a mainstream comic that I've read - completely wrong for an all ages audience you want to entice to read your books with the low price point and a mainstream motion picture and toy line enticing them to check out the comic book. After reviewing the comic and fearing parental backlash, the store I shop at removed it from their cheap comics display that had the previous 25/10/9 cent issues on it and put them out of sight.

On the flip side, the book has improved tremendously with the return of Deodato with issue #60.

As for New X-Men 142-145 - I agree, not very good. Bachalo's artwork is just awful these days and has led to my dropping Captain America from my pull file when he takes over as series artist after this current run by Ordway and Weeks.

On the other hand, "Planet X" has been great so far. 146 had one of the best surprises I've seen in comics in a long while.

Kev

Gene, can't agree with you on the Hulk storyline. That Absorbing Man storyline was just awful, and I don't know who that character was, but it sure wasn't the Absorbing Man, and that may be what tainted what might actually be a good story for me.

I think the people disagreeing with my take on the Hulk storyline are probably Hulk fans who probably had the same reaction ("that wasn't the version of the Absorbing Man that I'M used to") that you did. Personally, I think 99% of Hulk stories suck 893censored-thumb.gif, which is why I'm loving Jones' unconventional take on the Green Goliath.

The "Hide in Plain Sight" storyline read more like one of Jones' mature horror stories that he wrote for Warren or Pacific than an all-ages maintstream Hulk story (I agree with your comments that it was definitely not good for the kiddies). As a fan of the old Warren mags and DC's Vertigo line, though, I thought this more mature/horror-oriented take on the Hulk was simply excellent. But, I can see how many "established" Hulk fans might disagree.

I suspect many "neutral" fans, particularly those who like Vertigo-like stories, would enjoy this storyline. Perhaps I should have qualified that from the start.

Gene