• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.0 question - apparent contradiction in Overstreet

9 posts in this topic

I have done some searching here but have not found this discussed. Please bear with me if I missed it. I think what is probably at the root of my question is simply a lack of understanding of how defects bump a comic into a lower grade.

I am referencing the Third Edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide.

On page 144, in the text description of 9.0 (COVER/EXTERIOR) it says, "ever so slight blunting permitted but no creases."

That seems really plain and simple.

But in their examples you find Ghost Rider 41 (p. 155) with a clearly indicated corner crease.

Again, In the ASM 50 example on p. 342 you see a 9.0 comic with a corner crease.

How are these exceptions to the rules determined?

Thanks for your help and patience, and by all means direct me to a thread on this if you know of one.

When the 3rd edition came out, there was much discussion on the boards concerning the book's numerous errors, like the one you mention. As a result, some people prefer the 2nd or even 1st edition to the 3rd.

But then which is it? No creases, or those two comic examples ARE 9.0 with tiny corner creases?

Thanks!

In the meantime I will search for threads on 3rd edition grading guide.

When the 3rd edition came out, there was much discussion on the boards concerning the book's numerous errors, like the one you mention. As a result, some people prefer the 2nd or even 1st edition to the 3rd.

But then which is it? No creases, or those two comic examples ARE 9.0 with tiny corner creases?

Thanks!

In the meantime I will search for threads on 3rd edition grading guide.

there are many, many examples of books graded from 9.0 to 9.6 that have been shown to have corner creases. if memory serves me right, there's an example of an otherwise perfect book with a very small corner crease graded by CGC at 9.6.

tonights Grading Contest Spectre book had a small corner crease in the URC, among other minor defects, and got a 9.2 from CGC........

the size of the crease and the depth of the color break are key factors in how much a book will get downgraded.

What's even more confusing is that IMO, this is an instance where Overstreet is actually stricter than CGC.

Overstreet doesn't allow a color-breaking corner crease in 9.0 or higher, at least according to the text grading descriptions they've always published, whereas CGC clearly DOES as long as the rest of the book is near-immaculate. (See the ASM 124 in Round 2 of the grading contest for another good example -- a book with a small but clearly color-breaking crease slabbed as a 9.0.) So I guess it simply depends on whose standards you are aiming to follow.

Great question, pkw! And one that has puzzled me in the past as well. Maybe you can post the book in question in the grading forum for further opinions...