• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XMen #1 page on ebay...again.

11 posts in this topic

Man, this guy has really marketed this all wrong. I'm not even close to being on the same level as a collector who would be interested in this, does anyone understand this seller's intent? Is this just to solicit offers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-1963-X-Men-1-Page-16-Jack-Kirby-Comic-Art_W0QQitemZ180200861283QQihZ008QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe it's just me, but I love this page. The old, unpopular X-Men were always my favorites and I'd jump through hoops to get a piece from #1 -- although I'd jump through hoops AND fire to get a piece that featured the Angel in a prominent role.

I disagree with the folks here that think that the re-exposure on eBay is diminishing the art's value. Sure, if it was X-Men #318, you'd have trouble convincing the crowd that this is worth a mint. But it ain't. It's a genuine rarity. And it's from a book with historical significance.

The collectors that want it AND can afford it are few in number. I just can't see them saying, "Hmmm, no. Been on eBay three times in the last year. Better to wait for a different page from X-Men #1 to come along. Or maybe I'll just pick up that cover from Betty and Veronica Double Digest, instead."

Good point. I just wonder if the seller wouldn't be better off using another auction site. Is there an advantage to listing on ebay versus heritage or c-link? Maybe it's easier to pull and do an off site deal this way? I really don't know, I'm just curious. hm

I also don't understand the selling strategy. I also believes it diminishes the desire. Someone that was seriously considering buying the page may not be thinking "I can hold off for now since it will be around". I know this is the case for myself on some stuff I have been watching literally for years! No hurry to buy because they are prices several years out so I am no too worried about missing out on them.

That is interesting information.

I did not know if they were part of the Christopher collection. I don't know if there was a list of the the early Kirby's he accumilated- before letting them go.

It is amazing that Xmen #8 / #9 stayed together as long as they did.

That is interesting information.

I did not know if they were part of the Christopher collection. I don't know if there was a list of the the early Kirby's he accumilated- before letting them go.

It is amazing that Xmen #8 / #9 stayed together as long as they did.

Rich, there was a list of everything Tony had when they were offered up for sale through Greg Manning auctions and various brokers.

Tony had the splash to 2, and 6 & 9 complete. 8 was offered as part of this collection but I was informed was not part of TCs collection.

1 was obtained from another collector and traded to GM for some choice items from TC collection. 7 is in the hands of a private collector and was not part of TC collection when sold.

Clem...