• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 GRADING CONTEST: ROUND 7

174 posts in this topic

Grades sent in were:

4.0 - 1

4.5 - 2

5.0 - 4

5.5 - 5

6.0 - 12

6.5 - 13

7.0 - 25

7.5 - 23

8.0 - 24

8.5 - 14

9.0 - 5

9.4 - 2

CGC says

ff73012.jpg

I'd be really ticked if I bought a 7.0 F/VF book with a 1" spine split and that kind of crease on the back....

At least I only missed it by 5 grades...............................-2.................

Guess my 5.0 (including bump) was waaaaay off!

According to OSGG splits are allowed up to 1" in 4.5. I went with the 5.o to cover any bump and also cover the 4 if need be. The book presents really well though.... I guess thats why it got the grade

(shrug)

Happy New Year!

John :sorry:

Guess my 5.0 (including bump) was waaaaay off!

According to OSGG splits are allowed up to 1" in 4.5. I went with the 5.o to cover any bump and also cover the 4 if need be. The book presents really well though.... I guess thats why it got the grade

(shrug)

Happy New Year!

John :sorry:

If there's one thing I've learned from this contest, it's that you can throw out everything you learned from Overstreet. This CGC thing is a completely different scale--and the standards they use are a mystery.

I decided to ignore Overstreet on this one, but I still figured that a 3/8" spine split was a major defect that CGC couldn't ignore. They may not have ignored it, but they didn't hammer it like I thought they would (I guessed 6.0).

Like someone else said, I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a 7.0 and it had a big ol' spine split. I just don't get it.

What really bugs me, though, is a Hawkman #1 that I have. It looks VFish, but it has a popped staple, and it got hammered at 5.0. To me a spine split and popped staple are in the same ballpark...

Hawkman1.jpg