• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 GRADING CONTEST: ROUND 7

174 posts in this topic

I actually came close to hitting it with a 7.5 on this one. Now, ask me if I would actually grade it this high for my own collection? No chance.

Chances are pretty good that I would have put this in my collection as a 5.0-5.5. It's a great looking comic, but that spine split! I have some FN books that look better, BUT I decided to give it a fat bump, and lucky me (for once)!

What really bugs me, though, is a Hawkman #1 that I have. It looks VFish, but it has a popped staple, and it got hammered at 5.0. To me a spine split and popped staple are in the same ballpark...

Hawkman1.jpg

I'm more concerned about the reader's crease on that one than the popped staple...

Non sequitur. AMC is showing the five movies. Just started. So, answer it. No, I only get drunk at cons. Seriously, I'm usually dry the rest of the year.

Ohhhh, I get it. I was looking for a thinly-veiled insult in that question, but came up blank lol

Which one is "Escape From"? Is that the new one, with Marky Mark and Helena Bonham-Carter? If so, I would only watch this if there was truly NOTHING else on and had already re-alphabetized my long boxes. Decent special effects and ape make-up, but falls flat otherwise.

No, the original one where 3 of the chimps come from the future into present day LA.

Yes it's good (just ignore the movies explanation of how the three were able to get the ship out of the lake, and be able to pilot it) Conquest and Battle were throw away movies for me.

By the way; nice way of diverting this thread away from angry posters; or trying to anyway.

I hope everyone has a safe rise home tonight (those that are out).

Battle is such a lame movie.

Non sequitur. AMC is showing the five movies. Just started. So, answer it. No, I only get drunk at cons. Seriously, I'm usually dry the rest of the year.

Ohhhh, I get it. I was looking for a thinly-veiled insult in that question, but came up blank lol

Which one is "Escape From"? Is that the new one, with Marky Mark and Helena Bonham-Carter? If so, I would only watch this if there was truly NOTHING else on and had already re-alphabetized my long boxes. Decent special effects and ape make-up, but falls flat otherwise.

No, the original one where 3 of the chimps come from the future into present day LA.

Yes it's good (just ignore the movies explanation of how the three were able to get the ship out of the lake, and be able to pilot it) Conquest and Battle were throw away movies for me.

By the way; nice way of diverting this thread away from angry posters; or trying to anyway.

They didn't make any more after that cause it killed the franchise.

:mad:

They made the TV show

They made the TV show

Years later.

It wasn't very bright either.

The two idoits would always hit the apes on the head and leave their guns.

Gee if one of the apes woke up while they were walking away...

:screwy:

Round 7: 7.0 :sumo:

It does appear to be a 3/8" spine split with an associated 2" crease along the BEBC . . . hm

Nik gave me this answer about the defect:

Spine split, almost an inch long

So either Nik lied about the defect :mad: or your grading sucks. lol

:/

Y'know, it's funny. Most of the comments that we've posted since the "grade reveal" were surprised that the book graded so high . . . but, the majority of the grades submitted had it even higher:

37 people graded this lower than a 7.0

25 nailed it

68 had it higher --- maybe some of these didn't see the spine split? (shrug)

But, more people had it at 7.0 than any other (single) guesstimate.

Is Escape from the Planet of the Apes worth watching? (shrug)

If you didn't see them split, then you might be higher for having not seen it... hm

Y'know, it's funny. Most of the comments that we've posted since the "grade reveal" were surprised that the book graded so high . . . but, the majority of the grades submitted had it even higher:

25 nailed it

Interesting point, but I don't know what to make of it. What do you think? Do you chalk that all up to people not noticing the split, or do 2/3 of boardies think that a spine split is less serious than CGC?

Obviously the book would be VF or above without the split. The main issue that we all had to consider was what would CGC do with a spine split. If you go by Overstreet, the grade would be lower, case closed. If you try to figure out what CGC is going to do, however, you have to go on your own experience with other books they have graded, because they have this secret grading scale that they supposedly use. In my case, I have a VF book with a popped staple, and they gave it a 5.0. So I guessed 6.0, figuring that they would consider a popped staple a more serious defect. I'm amazed that they gave this book a 7.0...but hey, it's a secret scale, so it's all guesswork.

John,

I gave it a CGC 7.0---(figured it was a 8.5 or so and knocked off 1.5 grades).

I remember a thread in the Golden Age section---Someone bought a book off Jim

Payette (Golden Age Batman) and it had been graded pretty low (4.5-5.0 maybe)

because of a spine split----it came back a 7.0 from CGC.

It seems CGC doesn't knock down that much for a spine split (shrug)

25 nailed it

Interesting point, but I don't know what to make of it. What do you think? Do you chalk that all up to people not noticing the split, or do 2/3 of boardies think that a spine split is less serious than CGC?

Obviously the book would be VF or above without the split. The main issue that we all had to consider was what would CGC do with a spine split. If you go by Overstreet, the grade would be lower, case closed. If you try to figure out what CGC is going to do, however, you have to go on your own experience with other books they have graded, because they have this secret grading scale that they supposedly use. In my case, I have a VF book with a popped staple, and they gave it a 5.0. So I guessed 6.0, figuring that they would consider a popped staple a more serious defect. I'm amazed that they gave this book a 7.0...but hey, it's a secret scale, so it's all guesswork.

John,

Thanks Spookly, one thing about this contest is I'm learning a lot. I'm just person_without_enough_empathying because I learned on one system and am trying to figure out another system.

Lessons so far:

CGC is easier on small, inconspuous creases than a strict reading of Overstreet.

Spine splits aren't absolute killers on otherwise high grade books.

CGC is much easier on soiling than Overstreet.

I'll probably learn a few more along the way! lol

25 nailed it

John,

Yea, and you were so confident, you saw " a -2 coming my way." lol

I think those of us that guessed high didn't think it was a split, just a rough area.

I misinterpreted the sentence that the defects were "pretty clear from the scan". doh!

PM on the Round 8 scan about to be written. Guess to follow Nik's response. :jokealert:

25 nailed it

John,

Thanks Spookly, one thing about this contest is I'm learning a lot. I'm just person_without_enough_empathying because I learned on one system and am trying to figure out another system.

Lessons so far:

CGC is easier on small, inconspuous creases than a strict reading of Overstreet.

Spine splits aren't absolute killers on otherwise high grade books.

CGC is much easier on soiling than Overstreet. I'll probably learn a few more along the way! lol

You can say that again. My most disappointing purchase of last year was an ASM # 64 8.0 White page book.

I gave it a 6.5 based on a similar book that I had received with a 2 1/2 inch crease and small spine split. Granted it was a bronze age book and I should have allowed for the silver age bump.

Still the best beer out there...

No doubt a splendid brew . . . for the uninitiated :sumo::baiting:

Have a dozen Spaten's and rethink that FF 73 :baiting:

A six-pack says I score more points than you on that one . . . :baiting:

:takeit: Game on! Loser (or non-winner if it makes you feel better) PayPal's the other the cost of a six of Spaten?

I haven't enter my grade yet, have you?

Cool. Divad and I have a gentleman's bet. :applause:

Well played Divad (thumbs u I also had this at 7.0, but gave it the obligatory Nik bump to push it to a 7.5. I am just happy to grab my three points and move to the next round.

Payment sent. 2c

I took a risk with a higher grade thinking that the spine problem could have been a printing/binding error.

i (wrongly) figured no one would pay the slabbing costs on a copy of a fairly low key FF with such a split

I took a risk with a higher grade thinking that the spine problem could have been a printing/binding error.

i (wrongly) figured no one would pay the slabbing costs on a copy of a fairly low key FF with such a split

your second thought is absolutely legit and well thought out. especially our nik - who knew that even he misses one occasionally......... doh!

or did he submit this one just for the grading contest????hm

your second thought is absolutely legit and well thought out. especially our nik - who knew that even he misses one occasionally......... doh!

or did he submit this one just for the grading contest????hm

Just to clear the air here.

I have sent a few junkers in for this contest, even though its a waste of money, I wanted to make this contest more interesting. It would be dull if nothing but 9.2-9.6 books are hosted :banana: