• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Never-Ending Comic Book Quiz

1,202 posts in this topic

The Wizard.

powers unknown.

Original 6:

The Professor

Thermo

Reflex

Manlet

Misfit

Klank

Hey, what about Una?

Rick

ERROR IN QUESTION!

Sorry, I was in way too much of a rush yesterday.

You just scored the bonus by naming the eight original members.

Do you mind taking another shot at it?

Revision:

Name the ninth and tenth members of Miracles, Inc., and describe their superpowers.

Jack, demonstrating his power of Super-Duh!

:mad:

:cry:

Rick

:boo:

Sorry to rob you of the honor!

At least you got the bonus.

I only have #3

52011-unearthly.jpg

I glanced hurriedly at this page and counted 6 original members. doh!

52014-Miracles.jpg

Then found Kaput's introductory splash page.

52013-Kaput.jpg

I didn't realize that this story was also Super-Chef's first appearance until I looked in the GCD. Very cheesy superpower (so to speak). He attacks the bad guys with ze chef's A-La-Pepper Supreme (causes sneezing), Olive Oil Magnifique (slippery) and Instant-Drying Taffy Mix (think Paste-Pot Pete).

The book's from March, 1967, so Scarlet Witch had already been around for a while. Not that I ever really understood SW's power, but Kaput seems to be a cross between her and, even closer, "Joe Btfsplk, the world's worst jinx" from Li'l Abner (who is said to be the inspiration for Mr. Mxyztplk (original spelling) in Superman.

52020-800px-Joe_Btfsplk_Excerpt.jpg

Jack

Joe Btfsplk, the world's worst jinx" from Li'l Abner (who is said to be the inspiration for Mr. Mxyztplk (original spelling) in Superman.

What year was that from?

Joe Btfsplk, the world's worst jinx" from Li'l Abner (who is said to be the inspiration for Mr. Mxyztplk (original spelling) in Superman.

What year was that from?

Grabbed from the Wikipedia page:

Joe Btfsplk, the world's worst jinx, in this excerpt from the March 20, 1947 strip,

Found on www but not authenticated:

Joe Btfsplk's first appearance was June 11, 1942

Jack

He may also be the inspiration for eventual Plastic Man sidekick, Woozy Winks who carried a curse around with him. Woozy started in Police 13, Nov 1942.

^^

Excellent work, Scrooge. (thumbs u

(I thought I might have to post images of the gorillas before anyone figured out that cover.)

I knew that face but it took me a while to place it and associate it with a title ... I let it sit a minute or 30 ... and then remembered Jumbo!!

Next question:

Name at least 5 radio comedy stars that have had their own comics

^^

Excellent work, Scrooge. (thumbs u

(I thought I might have to post images of the gorillas before anyone figured out that cover.)

I knew that face but it took me a while to place it and associate it with a title ... I let it sit a minute or 30 ... and then remembered Jumbo!!

Next question:

To clarify:

Do the comics have to have the actual name of the star, or can they have the name of the radio show or the star's character?

(What I mean is, if the question were about TV, would Sergeant Bilko be a correct answer, or would it have to be Phil Silvers Comics?)

Jack

Next question:

The Adventures of Bob Hope

The Adventures of Alan Ladd (drama, not comedy)

I Love Lucy Comics (does that count?)

Uncle Milty (Berle)

The Official Soupy Sales Comic Book

Abbott and Costello Comics

The Adventures of (Dean Martin and) Jerry Lewis

The Adventures of Pinky Lee

Jack

Uncle Milty (Berle)

I would only count: Bob Hope, Uncle Milty, maybe Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and I don't think Pinky Lee, Lucy or Soupy Sales would qualify since they are more TV personalities than radio and Abbott and Costello are movie personalities and of course Alan Ladd is drama. So let's say you've got 3 so far (thumbs u I know of at least 4 more ...

Uncle Milty (Berle)

I would only count: Bob Hope, Uncle Milty, maybe Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and I don't think Pinky Lee, Lucy or Soupy Sales would qualify since they are more TV personalities than radio and Abbott and Costello are movie personalities and of course Alan Ladd is drama. So let's say you've got 3 so far (thumbs u I know of at least 4 more ...

They all had radio shows!

But you're the decidinator.

If the show name is enough, My Friend Irma and Henry Aldrich should work for #4 and #5.

Jack

:frustrated: I knew this would happen.

I'll declare Jack the ^^ with the addition of Henry Aldrich and My Friend Irma.

BZ had it right with Judy Canova and Ozzie & Harriet. I would also add: Will Rogers, Fibber McGee and Molly (as part of the A-1 Series) and Charlie McCarthy (and Edgar Bergen). I guess I should have phrased the question as radio comedians. Anyway, it's fun to see who got their own comic.

Take it away Jack. :applause: :applause:

BZ had it right with Judy Canova and Ozzie & Harriet. I would also add: Will Rogers, Fibber McGee and Molly (as part of the A-1 Series) and Charlie McCarthy (and Edgar Bergen). I guess I should have phrased the question as radio comedians. Anyway, it's fun to see who got their own comic.

The question was a bit confusing to me. I thought it was referring to actors not fictional creations. :(

If fictional characters are acceptable as answers, you could also add Our Miss Brooks to the list.

:frustrated: I knew this would happen.

Hey, if my answer's not right, I don't want to win!

That's why I asked for clarification about the name of the character or show (Sgt. Bilko) vs the name of the actor (Silvers).

I'll declare Jack the ^^ with the addition of Henry Aldrich and My Friend Irma.

Take it away Jack. :applause: :applause:

If the Panel of Experts decides my answer is OK, I'll send a question tomorrow. 8 am class to meet and I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

Jack

I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

Jack Frost

Jack, we don't allow any stalling for time while you try to think up a question for us! :sumo:

Whose woods these are I think I know. :foryou:

Could be Wally, could be Bob.

This is my problem today:

52102-RealLife27.jpg

and I don't mean that someone dropped an atomic bomb on me.

Watch this space!

Jack

Uncle Milty (Berle)

Lucille Ball had a popular radio show called "My Favorite Husband" which was later developed into "I Love Lucy" for television. I remember listening to it as a child on Sunday nights on a military base in Japan in a quonset hut, in the 60's with a transistor radio hidden under my pillow because it was past my bedtime. How's that for a run-on sentence? :D