• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Never-Ending Comic Book Quiz

1,202 posts in this topic

Flash proposes Adam Strange as a candidate in issue #4, but can't remember if he is directly asked (and refuses)...?

My copy of that issue isn't handy but I did find the following:

Adam Strange

"Strange's first encounter with the League was with their help in defeating the alien Kanjar Ro. Ro was at war with Hyathis of Alstair, Kromm of Mosteel, and Sayvar of Llarr. (JLofA #3) Afterwards, Flash proposes to offer Adam Strange Justice League membership. Adam declined, knowing that his commitment to Rann would keep him too busy for active JLA duty. He was awarded honorary membership instead. (#4)"

Also:

Metamorpho

"Metamorpho also appeared during this time in an issue of Justice League of America, but became the second superhero to decline an invitation to join that organization (Adam Strange being the first)."

(shrug)

Flash proposes Adam Strange as a candidate in issue #4, but can't remember if he is directly asked (and refuses)...?

My copy of that issue isn't handy but I did find the following:

Adam Strange

"Strange's first encounter with the League was with their help in defeating the alien Kanjar Ro. Ro was at war with Hyathis of Alstair, Kromm of Mosteel, and Sayvar of Llarr. (JLofA #3) Afterwards, Flash proposes to offer Adam Strange Justice League membership. Adam declined, knowing that his commitment to Rann would keep him too busy for active JLA duty. He was awarded honorary membership instead. (#4)"

Also:

Metamorpho

"Metamorpho also appeared during this time in an issue of Justice League of America, but became the second superhero to decline an invitation to join that organization (Adam Strange being the first)."

(shrug)

Bangzoom, I think wikipedia must be quoting some latter day retcon. I think if you check the original issues, you'll find that Adam Strange is proposed in passing conversation in JLA #4 (Green Arrow was voted in instead). Then the readers asked the editor how come the JLA even knew about Adam Strange, since he was only famous on the planet Rann. So then later Gardner Fox creates the flashback story "The Planet That Came to a Standstill" in Mystery in Space #75, which answers that question by pitting the JLA and Adam Strange against the JLA foe from JLA #3, Kanjar Ro. Supposedly MIS #75 takes place between JLA #3 and #4, explaining the discrepency. (thumbs u

Rocketeer... we need a ruling! (shrug)

...I was going for Adam Strange,...only a JLA connoisseur would have picked that up,...JLA #42 "Metamorph Says No" was the obvious but wrong answer,...ponit goes to Bang-Zoom,... (thumbs u

...I was going for Adam Strange,...only a JLA connoisseur would have picked that up,...JLA #42 "Metamorph Says No" was the obvious but wrong answer,...ponit goes to Bang-Zoom,... (thumbs u

The Rocketeer has spoken! (worship)

Jerry Siegel lived how many blocks away from Joe Shuster when they were kids growing up in Cleveland, Ohio ?

No.

...I kindly disagree,..

Jerry would then have trouble sleeping one summer night in 1934. As he tossed and turned because of the heat, he kept thinking more and more about a new Superman character. He would wake up with little bit's of ideas and he would scribble them down on paper each time. By the time morning arrived Jerry had his character. He ran all 12 blocks to Joe Shuster apartment and explained the new version of Superman. Joe also became excited and the two of them would start to work on a costume design for the character.

...source... linkage

Edited by Rocketeer

...second reference,...

The Birth of Superman

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the two ordinary young men who created an extraordinary hero, lived twelve blocks apart from each other in Cleveland. The pair collaborated on stories for their high school newspaper and shared a passion for science fiction and pulp comics. It was the 1930s, and comic book publishing was in its infancy. Like many young Jews with artistic aspirations, Siegel and Shuster yearned to break into this fledgling industry. Comic book publishers actively hired Jews, who were largely excluded from more "legitimate" illustration work.

...source... linkage duex

Edited by Rocketeer

...source... linkage

That info is incorrect. (shrug)

I know where they lived and have Google Maps on the screen in front of me.

I double-checked the address a few days ago with a Cleveland reporter and he confirmed that it was correct.

...and you dont think the streets have changed in 88 years?,...I showed you two sources that confirm 12,...show me one that confirms otherwise,... 4.gif

So all the refferences out there are wrong? :shrug:

What adresses do you have for Siegel and Shuster?

..well right now they are both dead,...

For those interested in visiting the community, Siegel's childhood home (which just happens to be painted Superman blue, red and yellow) is at 10622 Kimberly Avenue. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

linkage

How many blocks away is Joe Shuster's childhood home?

Hint: The Cleveland City Council recently agreed to issue a proclamation honoring Siegel, Shuster and Superman and the street signs on Kimberly and ____ (where Joe Shuster lived).