• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newby Questions

15 posts in this topic

Hi, my name's Charlie, I'm new both to the Collector's Society and this message board. I have a few questions, I know I could contact CGC but I thought I'd try out my questions on this board. I sent a few books to CGC some years ago but I'm still a relative newby.

1. I notice CGC has different priced tiers, limited based on the estimated value of the comic. Now, I really don't know for sure what grades some of my books will get. Economy service ($29) must be worth $250 or less. Standard Service ($49) must be valued at $1,000 or less. And so on.

Naturally, choice of which service I may use (and submission itself, for that matter, which required assignment of a "Fair Market Value" which I imagine is for insurance purposes, and wouldn't even be considered by CGC when they assign a grade) would require that I make a good estimation of what grade my book will likely get.

On upper end books, this can be particularly significant. The difference between a Fine+ or a Very Fine, for example, could mean the difference between a $200 book (I'll use Economy Service) or a $500 book (I have to use Standard Service.)

Should I lowball my guesses and use Economy Service when such a book *might* be Very Fine? (Or, moving the same question up the chain, use Standard Service when the book *might* be a $700 book, or *might* be a $1400 book requiring Express Service.)

If they're actually the higher grade, might CGC reject them as ineligible for the service (because they're really worth more)? Might CGC give the books a lower grade just because I selected the lower service?

I can even imagine (hypothetically) extreme cases where a book is very rare in high grade where the difference between a Very Fine or a Near Mint might bring a $250 book (Economy Service okay) all the way up to a $1050 book (must use Express Service).

Frankly, these sort of decisions about which service to use and what Fair Market Values to assign is delaying me from making and sending my first batch. I sit for hours staring at my books and saying, "Well, if this ones a Fine it's this, if this ones a Fine+ it's that.." I'm kind of making myself crazy. ;-)

2. A questions about specific defects,and I may want to scan these books in and post "grade this book" posts as I've seen on these boards before I send them to CGC.

A. How would you grade a book that was formerly part of a hardbound collection which was subsequently seperated, therefore, the book has small pin holes along the spine where threads were? (I have a copy of Capain America Comics # 59 like that.)

B. I have a copy of Superboy # 1 (1949) which has a small circular piece on the spine which is detached. It's not missing--I have the peice. It's just detached.

I've been tempted to have the book restored, but I know there's a lot of resistance in the market to restored comics. How would such a defect affect the grade? Do you think restoration might be a good idea in this case? (The book could also use a cleaning, has a few minor stains and a rusty staple.)

Those are all the questions I can think of right now. Thanks for listening! I hope to scan some of these books in soon--not only to get your opinions, but also to share them with you, because I do have some really nice books and I think all of us here love to look at pictures. :-)

Charlie

Well, to answer your first question, I would "lowball" it using a good estimate of the book's value. I have herard that CGC will let a book go under Economy for $300.. just don't be blatant about it (sending a $1,500 book economy). If the tier you picked is way off, I heard they will call and request more money.

Welcome to the boards.

I can answer #1.

You estimate what your book will grade and put it in whatever service it would be in.

What this does is limit you to how much you can insure the book for on the trip back from CGC.

If the FMV is limited to $250, you can't insure it for $300.

So pick the one that you are comfortable with.

I can't help with the other questions, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can.

But I wouldn't restore the Superboy. Not unless there was a chance of the condition getting worse *without* restoration.

If that's rust on the bottom staple, you might consider getting it replaced and the rust cleaned off the book.

While you're at it, you could get the chip sealed just to keep it from falling off.

If the staple is not rusted, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's a very nice looking book and better kept unrestored for now.

That is indeed rust--are you suggesting I should have it restored because the book is at risk (the staple could get rustier?)

Can they clean the original staple and use the original staple, or must they replace the staple?

If they could attach that circular peice *without* doing any color touch, would that (plus the staple cleaning) count as "light restoration" instead of moderate or extensive?

The scan's a little fuzzy (I'm scanning *in* the mylars, I don't want to lay these books down on the scanner or even take them out) but there's a little stain in the right corner, perhaps I should get that cleaned while I'm at it, if I do decide to have any work done on it at all.

I've had one book restored before, a Batman # 2 I'll post pictures of shortly.

Charlie

I'm just saying that I would get the staple replaced to keep the rust from transferring to the book.

The longer it goes, the harder it will be to get it off the book.

They can clean the staple and put it back in, if the rust is not too deep.

If it's too deep, the staple will likely break and be unusable.

Get some of the Golden Age guys to answer this question.

You'll get a more solid answer as they have gone through this kinda thing before.

The back cover scan (as does the front), clearly shows that the rust has indeed migrated to the underlying and surrounding paper of the bottom staple. The staple itself looks to be a lost cause, but the oxidation of the paper appears to be slight.

Because the top staple is positioned in an indented fashion due to its placement, there may be some oxidation starting to form there as well. If not visible as of yet on the staple surface itself, there could be some under it on the paper. Usually, when a book has one staple rusted to the degree that the bottom one displays, the other is moving in that direction as far as oxidation as well.

Since the book is not an investment grade item (Fn+ or better), my suggestion is to replace the staples and have the restorer evaluate the paper and site of the oxidation for possible treatment/removal of the already affected paper (or it will become worse with time).

While he's at it, have him minimally restore the book in tacking down that piece, and possibly a cleaning and pressing as well.

It's a nice, attractive book, but the "life-clock" is always ticking twice as fast on books that exhibit oxidation that's compromised the paper. That clock can be slowed down considerably on this book with those minimal procedures that won't hurt the value because it's not an "investment" grade book. But it's a nice piece for a collection!

restoring the book might save future deterioration from occurring, but will have one immediate affect: the loss of 75% of its vaue. So, to prevent future damage to your comic I reccommend selling it now and putting the money into a better copy or a similar one without any rust or other ticking time bomb issues. One that will stay in the shape you buy it for quite some time.

looks real nice othersise!

I'm with Aman on this one... restoration might bump that copy from a VG to a FN or maybe a little better (if all the work being discussed was done)...and you'll end up with less value even though the book looks somewhat nicer and will be preserved more effectively. I think the choice is pretty simple: either sell it now as-is, or have it restored with the idea in mind that you're going to hang on to it for a fair period of time (10 years or more).

I couldn't tell from your posts whether you're planning to sell these after slabbing...

restoring the book might save future deterioration from occurring, but will have one immediate affect: the loss of 75% of its value.

Is this really true anymore?

For example, let's just say I have a resto-friendly VG and I pay for moderate resto to take it to Apparent VF/NM. Is this book now worth less than a VG?

restoring the book might save future deterioration from occurring, but will have one immediate affect: the loss of 75% of its value.

Is this really true anymore?

For example, let's just say I have a resto-friendly VG and I pay for moderate resto to take it to Apparent VF/NM. Is this book now worth less than a VG?

SHHHHH! gossip.gif

Don't let everyone in on this.