• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Breaking down your collection.

45 posts in this topic

i’m not sure if other collectors are like me, (no jokes) but in my collection i have my ‘A’ books which are what i consider to be my high grade really good stuff that is mine and i won’t be selling them.

then i have my ‘B’ books that basically just missed the cut to make it into the ‘A’ list. these are the books that i am waiting to sell at some point and i feel i will do pretty well with them.

then of course i have the C books which are lower grade readers or just plain worthless.

over the last few years i have been trying to upgrade my collection to mainly 'A' books. as of right now, just doing an inventory over the holiday i have 1000 GA, SA or BA total books give or take a few. 40% A, 30% B and 30% C.

anyone else view their collection this way?

Always looking to trim the fat, or C books as you put it.

Unfortunately, my CMI (comic mass index) is probably about 70% fat. In this number I count the runs of moderns I've been buying since the early 90s. May have been great reads, but the fact of the matter is that 200 issue runs of Superman, Action, Batman LOTDK and countless others are almost worthless on today's market.

So, I am faced with giving them away for pennies on the dollar (or free), or just sitting on them. I guess I'd rather keep them than give them away just for the sake of "trimming" the collection.

:P

Generally speaking (a few exceptions I'd say), all of my books would fall into your 'A' category- minus the grade qualifier. When I buy a book, I am want to be sure that this is the one I want. If I'm buying a low grade beater, it's probably because that's all I am willing to pay for that specific issue (a la Silver Age books and key issues). So if I buy a comic book, it's because it is one I don't plan on getting rid of at any point.

THAT said, there are a few I have in mind for upgrades years down the road. I probably picked these particular issues up because the deal was too good to pass on AND I needed it to fill a hole in my run. Books like this need to meet both qualifications though to justify buying below my goal grade range.

Really no 'C' category books for me since low graders do not equate to worthless for me AND I rarely buy a book that is worthless. It will either have some form of collectible value, great art, and/or a good storyline to make keeping it worthwhile.

I've recently started viewing my collection that way... money problems + space problems have finally gotten me out of the "collect everything" mentality, so I've got a mental list of the things that I don't plan to sell ("A"), the stuff I'd like to upgrade ("B") and the stuff I just want to get rid of ("C")

I don't have any specific condition guidelines or anything... just how much I care about the books.

The "Upgrade" stack is ideally always the smallest, so that I can stay somewhat focused.

Where this gets interesting is that it is all subjective. So one person's A could be another person's C and vice versa.

Back when I was trying to fill my gold Batman run, I found a dude who placed a bunch of his raw Batman issues in the proverbial "C" category, but to me they were a screaming A. The stuff he wanted from me, I could definitely live without, so it was a perfect match.

Is there anything lower than C? I'm thinking about actually storing my collection in the garbage bin. That way, I can still pull out a few and read them for about a week until the trash gets taken. :insane:

I don't really care about grade, I've a little over 10.000 comics (I think doh! ) and consider maybe 1% or 2% as "C" books. Books I don't really want or would consider selling.

I don't buy books I don't want or need, I stick to my want list and if something does creep in which doesn't fit my collection profile I give it away or leave at a public place (schools, dentist or doctor's office...) where maybe somebody will read it and enjoy it more than I do.

I must confess that 99% of the books I own have been bought as "backissues" meaning that I went after them fully knowing what kind of book I was getting. I do understand that people end up with box after box of "C" books if they ever bought books off the stand (as new books) for a long period of time. hm