• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #48 - STILL a major key book?!?!

142 posts in this topic

You changed your avatar from the "Supa-Bobbin-Head-Anorexic-China-Doll" to this one? I forgot to tell you.....from bad to worse! Looks like a Honeymoon couple from Motel-Hell (the guy with the tats looks like he's expelling air into one of those inflatable bras)! laugh.gif And you KNOW I'm right (that's why you LOVE and need me)! tongue.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif SNARF SNARF SNARF!

Not a "hypocrite", I AM always the Peacemaker, but I have a special clause in my contract that excludes....... YOU!!!!! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif Snarfe' ..and are you sleep posting??? confused.gif I thought you were asleep!! smirk.gif

RE:

People didn't hold back FF 48s because they were worth a lot; it didn't shoot up in value until over 10 years after its release date. It didn't really start shooting up for almost 20 years. The leading theories in another thread about why there are so many FF 48s were:

1) A lot of them were stored in a warehouse that never made it to the stands. This possibility is supported by the fact that the other Marvels from that same time period, such as Spidey #33, are also more readily available than other issues from the same year.

2) Marvel reprinted it without marking the reprints in any explicit way. Methuselah says that after seeing a bunch of FF 48s that he has noticed two different shades of red in the background of the issue. This could mean that the differently-shaded backgrounds are the reprints, if this truly is a pattern.

COOL thanks for the info that at least gives me few ideas on how there are so many. I actually was going to buy an ASM 33 as well as its my favorite cover/story but the census kind of knocks it down some for me. Does nayone know of any links that detail some of the warehouse finds??? Chet

Oh my God! Everyone run for the bomb shelters! Are there enough radiation suits to go around? I think this site went a week without stirring up this hornet's nest again. Oh well, i guess as new members come aboard, questions and threads will be rerun - at the risk of everyone's health and sanity. I bet in about 2 or 3 more posts there will be threats of use of foreign objects to the eye or groin, bicep flexin', snot sliggin', lawsuits, dogs and cats living together, and a wrastlin' match in a dark alley and sack full of money. That always seems to be the inevitable end to these melodramas. But it is a tad more amusing than the debate about the "keyness" of FF 48.

2) Marvel reprinted it without marking the reprints in any explicit way. Methuselah says that after seeing a bunch of FF 48s that he has noticed two different shades of red in the background of the issue. This could mean that the differently-shaded backgrounds are the reprints, if this truly is a pattern.

You know,The pressman sets the color,they try and match what's called a "go-by" this is how the customer wants the color to look like.Now then,when the press starts up a new job everything is off,and they keep getting thrown away until they are savable,the pressman has to bring up all the colors manually,1 color at a time.until it comes close to the go-by.then it gets fine tuned from there..even though it doesn't match the color to perfection,doesn't mean they get thrown out,I could have 4 or 5 copies of ANY book in my hand and can see the differance in color,most likey they will not all match,some will some won't.But as for a FF 48 reprint back in 66 I doubt it.They didn't reprint comics back then like they do now. Kevin

i agree with your posts, they would've put it in a marvel collectors item classics or in an FF annual. i don't think they would make second printings and release them into the market without notifying distrubutors. good post grin.gif

The plates used to make these books were HUGE. They'd lay out the entire book on two large plates, each plate accounting for 12 unfolded pages. The covers would be printed that way too. What I was referring to on the different variations of FF48 was not just the color or hue composition (overlaying) on one color, but the patterning itself as being distinguishably different, unique to each of two different variations. I'm convinced that there are duplicate printings of the FF48, Spiderman 33, 45, 48, 49, X-Men 37, to name a few, and others. On these, there are two different matrix patterns just as there are different aspects of double print baseball cards (like the 1952T Mantle...a card that appears TWICE on the same high number baseball card Topps sheet). Different color schemes AND a different matrix pattern (thumb print) can be found. The colors associated with each distinct "thumbprint" are usually very consistant.

Hey, I was only trying to wake up Supa, who was obviously sleeping ("yawn") and my little jump start worked, thank God (what was next, hoof to mouth resuscitation?). And look, he changed his Avatar (as per my advice), and this one is much better, so all in all, alot of good came out of his snoozing and my little poke in his tender ribs!

Richard,

the plates we use are 66 inches wide,usually made by Kodak or PDi and get run on a Goss C-700 Printing Press,Plates in general are "burned" you place the film over the plate and then placed in an air tight plate burner,then flipped over and burned with like a ultra violet light,then a few other things are done,cause it's too techincial for your brain.Anyway there is no "patterns" or other B.S that goes on.There's no reason in trying to upstage me when it comes to printing,Im the 2nd pressman around here,not you.So..... tongue.gif

P.S. feel free to ask any printing questions you may have.

Kevin

First off, who the hell is trying to upstage you. I asked you a question. You're the printer, not me.

Secondly, why are the plates 66 inches wide if there's not more than ONE PAGE ON THE SHEETS THAT COME OFF OF THEM.

I'm talking about the MASTER engravings that echo the artwork, what are YOU talking about? The paper DOES have to be imprinted by SOMETHING that is engraved, doesn't it? Or is that concept to involved for your atrophied brain.

Why a midget with a handlebar moustache? If you're laboring under the assumption that I'm short in stature, you're as in the dark about that as you are everything else, unless you consider 5' 9" dwarfism.

Unlike everyone else's Avatar with gorgeous women, I actually live with the woman in mine, so what does it matter if I comment or approve of women in Avatars that wouldn't give the Board members displaying them the time of day? Ok, yeah, the woman in your bio box is great..just beeuuuuutiful!! How well do you know her? Speak to her today? smirk.gif

Some peace maker you are! HA! anyway,there is more than one page on the plate,open a comic up to the middle at the staples,now turn it sideways,now count the total pages,should be about 8 or so there,even though the top page says page 9 and the bottom is says page 4 it all comes together when it goes into the ribbon deck and into the folder.Just because it's a 22 page book,doesn't mean all 22 pages get printed seperatly,maybe you should have been a pressman instead of a RN... smirk.gif