• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

advice for new collectors

186 posts in this topic

I am new to comics and this site seems to be the hands down best place to learn. I have been reading on here for a few days ALL day.

This new hobby is going to take over my life, I needed something new to take up my time and this has done for sure. I'm itching to load up on some SA comics but I'll let this few thousand I got keep burning a hole in my pocket so I don't do something stupid.

Only thing this fourm needs is a welcome fourm for new guys.

my advice im sure has been posted.

1: collect what YOU like.

2: dont collect for resale

3: do your homework.

4: CGC books are graded correctly, the other companys grades are crapola

Edited by Griff

my advice im sure has been posted.

1: collect what YOU like.

2: dont collect for resale

3: do your homework.

4: CGC books are graded correctly, the other companys grades are crapola

I could not agree more!

(thumbs u

Welcome to the boards! This place rocks!

As for totally new collectors start slow and buy what you really enjoy and you cannot lose. (as long as you dont enjoy Iron Man 1's in CGC 9.6, lol)

...I'm new and that is definitely on my want list :/

Oh well...I didn't plan on getting it until I get a real job anyway.

Thanks for this thread. I'm new to the hobby and so far I don't have too much time for new stuff haha. I've got 75 years of comics to read!

As for totally new collectors start slow and buy what you really enjoy and you cannot lose. (as long as you dont enjoy Iron Man 1's in CGC 9.6, lol)

Thanks for this thread. I'm new to the hobby and so far I don't have too much time for new stuff haha. I've got 75 years of comics to read!

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

Thank you! Everyone is so welcoming here haha. I love your sig! I want just about every one of them!

Just noticed a higher end looking FF4 on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-4-1st-SA-SUB-MARINER-APP-GRADE-9-2-NM-9-4-NM-CGC-PGX-WORTHY-/271191082734?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f243f86ee

This has been cracked and taken from:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3Dfantastic%2Bfour%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D4%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26SearchPageQuality%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D27%26y%3D11%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy&id=965334

Any new collectors really be careful of such links and please report and tell others.... Scammers sadly can steal your money!

For ebay vets it was obviously a scam, but thanks for the research. (thumbs u

At first I thought it's our old friend Dupcak, as it has many of the hallmarks of his old auctions, although there's less florid gibberish in the blurb.

As a relative "newbie," a great way to start a collection full of enjoyables is to stay within the modern/copper age for the first little bit unless you absolutely MUST have an older book.

Why, do you ask? Apart from a few noted examples, most collectible books in this range are under $200 slabbed 9.0+ (X-men 135, 136 pop to mind). As well, books should be easier to find as this is the age when comic book sales shot through the roof and supply is out there. Again, however, there are noted examples of rarity (misprints, valuable variant covers, 1-in-1000 variants, etc).

While I am not new to collecting books, I am new to the hobby of COLLECTING books. I have found that staying newer than 1980 has made my hobby eminently affordable (where else can you trade 6 1980's books and get 160 modern age books that you REALLY want back? :whee: )

Also, and this is important: bargain bins are your friend. $1 bins are definitely your friend. And, if you're in good rapport with your LCS, never be afraid to haggle if you're buying lots of back issues. I bought $70 worth of X-Men comics for $50 because my LCS owner knew me and gave me cover price on all the books, instead of guide price.

And even more important (and a good part of being on these boards): Network network network!!!! Get out there, visit LCSs, buy some books, get on their radar. Talk to people on these forums (I already have one contact on these boards that is potentially going to get me a full Dark Phoenix run :whee: ), talk to dealers and exhibitors at cons, meet the artists/writers/studio directors (like I did with Aspen MLT at Calgary Con) and get their twitter/facebook/contact information (I am on first name basis with at least 3 comic book artists, and am networking with about 5 more and getting known to them as a valid source of interest for commissions). Nothing saves your butt in this hobby more than friends that can tell you: "That book you want for $150? I have a better copy for $40, he's out to make a buck, I'm here to build your collection." :headbang:

Edited by Vagabond142

Can we have a list of acronyms and stuff?

I've seen "GAP" a few times, but have been ashamed to ask what it means.

Do you mean GPA? It is CGC's way of keeping track of sales of their books.

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/

I am not sure what the letters stand for, other than the 'a.' :)

-slym

That's the one, thanks.

Ha, I couldn't even get the Acronym right.