• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your foreign Spider-man comics!

91 posts in this topic

Now these are probably more what you have in mind; two issues from the former republic of Yugoslavia

File2966.jpg

File2965.jpg

Note the awesome mullet wig Hulk is sporting. Main story in that one is also Spider-Man.

What is going on in that first cover?

Hulk's mullet, yes, but Mr Fantastic's "3" emblem, the Vision has a heart (?), what on earth has happened to Thing?

It is almost like the artist was given reference material for a limited period, and then had to draw/colour from memory.

Great screwball cover

Does anyone have any of the last issues of the weekly UK Spidey title, when it was called only 'Spidey comic' (issues #652-666)? I bought two on eBay about a year ago, those two are the only ones I have seen. They printed less and less copies before cancelling, and the last issues - almost any issue over #600 - are nearly impossible to find.

Does anyone have any of the last issues of the weekly UK Spidey title, when it was called only 'Spidey comic' (issues #652-666)? I bought two on eBay about a year ago, those two are the only ones I have seen. They printed less and less copies before cancelling, and the last issues - almost any issue over #600 - are nearly impossible to find.

Possibly, I'll check tomorrow. (thumbs u

I can speak for the Australian reprints and the British stuff (Wham, Smash, Pow, Fantastic, Terrific et al) that made their way here under appalling agreements that denied true fans access to the original stuff, may the distributors rot in he . . . . . .

But I digress.

The answer is these things, the last I looked, can be had for bugger all.

That is true for any of the british copies, regardless of how rare they are. British collectors are among the laziest in Europe! I have yet to see a site with cover pictures of all issues released in the United Kingdom. Working on a library myself (currently more than 6,000 covers from all over the world) and the British section consists mostly of eBay pictures, many of them out of focus... the Pow issues pop up from time to time, but the Smash, Wham and Terrific issues are never seen.

The british laziness is apparent when you travel to the European continent - there are numerous sites with complete cover libraries in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, even Yugoslavia! A bit worse in countries like Poland, Greece and Hungary, but they are somewhat excused because Internet has not evolved that far in those countries. For Britain, there is no excuse at all, just sheer laziness.

Marvel comics from France, Spain, Germany and Italy are highly sought after among collectors in those countries and some of them can command high prices. Values in the scandinavian countries are a bit less, but on their way up. A nice swedish Marvelserien #1 can be found for about $300-400.

That is true for any of the british copies, regardless of how rare they are. British collectors are among the laziest in Europe! I have yet to see a site with cover pictures of all issues released in the United Kingdom. Working on a library myself (currently more than 6,000 covers from all over the world) and the British section consists mostly of eBay pictures, many of them out of focus... the Pow issues pop up from time to time, but the Smash, Wham and Terrific issues are never seen.

The british laziness is apparent when you travel to the European continent - there are numerous sites with complete cover libraries in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, even Yugoslavia! A bit worse in countries like Poland, Greece and Hungary, but they are somewhat excused because Internet has not evolved that far in those countries. For Britain, there is no excuse at all, just sheer laziness.

Marvel comics from France, Spain, Germany and Italy are highly sought after among collectors in those countries and some of them can command high prices. Values in the scandinavian countries are a bit less, but on their way up. A nice swedish Marvelserien #1 can be found for about $300-400.

I can explain the lack of British interest in UK published marvel comics.

We don't need a translation, so why not collect the original US comics? Anyone who develops a real interest in Spiderman etc quickly starts to disdain the UK publications and seek out the source. At least, that was my attitude! I never imagined there were comic collectors who cared about those flimsy UK reprint titles. I threw stacks of them in the bin, whilst carefully tending and cataloguing my US comics.

Of course, as for being flat out lazy, that's true too :grin:

This will probably be just me talking... I hope some of you find it interesting enough to reply...

I recently acquired this one from Spain. It was published in Portugal in 1983 by Distri Editora. It is the only comic in any country I know of that has used the rejected Steve Ditko cover to Amazing Fantasy #15.

skanna0002uc3.jpg

The first publisher to distribute Spider-man comics in Portugal was APR (Agencia Portuguesa de Revistas) who started publishing 'Aventuras do Homem-Aranha' in 1978. I do not yet have any of those issues in my collection. It is unknown how many issues were published, the highest issue number I've found is #42. APR also published several one-shots.

If enough interest, I will continue to post covers (only from my own collection) and information about other countries.

Wow, these were great...i had this one as a kid!

thanks for the trip to memory lane... :D

regards

More of the portuguese language: This one, issue #27 from 1971, was published in Brasil by EBAL (Editôra Brasil-América Limitada). Ebal published 70 issues from 1969 to 1974. Spider-man first appeared in Brasil in 1968, in another comic published by Ebal, 'Album Gigante' which featured different heroes in each issue.

skanna0003rd3.jpg

the brazilian editons!

keep in mkind these were less than half the original/US editions. I remember being impressed the first time i saw the US comics.

Reading and enjoying the art was a completly different experience.

regards

I just found this terriffic greek site with pictures of not only the early greek Spider-man comics (editor Kabanas Hellas started publishing Spider-man in Greece in 1976) but of ALL the other early Marvel titles! Go have a look!

http://www.mycomics.gr/kabanas/kabanas.htm

When I was in Greece in '79, I used to buy these all the time. The production values were atrocious, but they were comics. I think I still have a few buried in a box somewhere.

Ultimate Spider-Man from France foil version. This book had #79 and 80 in it with no ads. Hard to show with scanner but the Moon Knight character has like a plastic coating on him.

usfoilvariantfrance.jpg