• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your foreign Spider-man comics!

91 posts in this topic

You learn something new every day. I live in Sweden, I've seen that cover I don't know how many times (both the swedish and the US version) and I never noticed they chopped off Empire State Building!

Månebaronen, in Sweden called Månriddaren, is probably norwegian... I have an issue somewhere... oh yes, here it is!

skanna0009mw6.jpg

If there's a 'bc' in the box in the lower left corner, it's a telltale sign the comic is from Norway. No other scandinavian country has the 'bc' code.

Time to get back on topic.

This is the Australian Strange Tales #5, reprinting Amazing Spider-Man #1.

It is an early reprint (first?) as according to the date on a mail away coupon inside front cover it was "dated" August 1963.

Black and white interior and for fun I have posted a scan of one page of the second story with the FF. It is interesting because it is "uncorrected" in referring to Mr Peter Parker as Peter Palmer - just as in the original.

Any other reprints let this editorial blooper through?

Cover by a NewZealand artist (I am pretty sure) name of Bramley. Art is not bad when compared to the other drek that was published here at the time.

100_0686508x381.jpg

Here is the internal page:

100_0687508x381.jpg

Duffmancomics,

That Strange Tales issue was the surprise of the day! I had no idea Australia published Spider-man so early. What is the name of the publisher? I had never heard of anything before Newton Comics which started 1975. Still missing Australian issues in my collection. I have comics from about 20 different countries, I know I can never get them all - that would require an endless wallet and an infinity of time - but I concentrate on getting at least one comic from every known country and publisher.

Duffmancomics,javascript: void(0);

javascript: void(0);

That Strange Tales issue was the surprise of the day! I had no idea Australia published Spider-man so early. What is the name of the publisher? I had never heard of anything before Newton Comics which started 1975. Still missing Australian issues in my collection. I have comics from about 20 different countries, I know I can never get them all - that would require an endless wallet and an infinity of time - but I concentrate on getting at least one comic from every known country and publisher.

Published by Horwitz, distributed by Gordon and Gotch :mad: (Aussie collectors will understand).

Very short lived title, bizarre makeup/continuity (this month, Fantastic Four #11, then Avengers # I forget, then Spidey 1 - you get the picture).

This one is from Colombia, from publisher Greco (Grupo Editor Colombiano), published in 1978, and incredibly difficult to find. Not just the first issue (which this is) but any comics from this publisher - just trying to find some information about them is nearly impossible. I was lucky enough to win an eBay auction with about 20 of these issues, I still don't know exactly how many were published. The first issue is named 'el Increible Hombre-Araña', then in some later issue (I have yet to see #2 and #3) the name changed to 'el Asombroso Hombre-Araña'.

skanna0012nc7.jpg

I actually like their #2 better. I love the use of pastel colours in the background. I have not seen this picture (originally the splash page of Amazing Spider-man #2) used as a cover in any other country. In 1968, how many other splash pages had made it into covers in foreign countries? Maybe this is a first?

skanna0016vq8.jpg

I actually like their #2 better. I love the use of pastel colours in the background. I have not seen this picture (originally the splash page of Amazing Spider-man #2) used as a cover in any other country. In 1968, how many other splash pages had made it into covers in foreign countries? Maybe this is a first?

skanna0016vq8.jpg

Awesome! :applause:

skanna0016vq8.jpg

What a shame he lost the fashionable yellow boots between #1 and 2.

Fun thread! I just ran across some foreign reprints in my boxes last night, but no Spider-Man to contribute.

Jack