• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 Oct. Issue!

116 posts in this topic

I think Parker should negotiate with the seller, and switch covers on the 2 books. If the brittle copy's cover isn't brittle, then you have a mid-grade October copy which should be worth about the sum of the total paid for both books. Then you sell the brittle copy with the composite cover and come out ahead.

The interior of the November copies also have a blacked out date in the indicia.

Haha - nice one. But what does that have to do with switching the covers?

Yeah, I guess you are right. That is on the inside cover. doh!

Nevermind....switch away!

brilliant!

however, I would love to see degrees of resto...like slight 1 (for the very minimal, or ext 9, for a truly frankenbook)...etc

rick

That idea got shot down relatively quick a few years back. :(

well, I think it should be revisited....

as bluechip pointed out, because there "is" a difference in a frankenbook "ext" and a book that is borderline mod to ext (but gets ext), there should be some sort of standard or comparative measure...

I agree 100%. I was always in favor of the the "resto-grade" addition to the purple label. Unfortunately, too many thought the proposed system would be too confusing or not necessary.

however, I would love to see degrees of resto...like slight 1 (for the very minimal, or ext 9, for a truly frankenbook)...etc

rick

That idea got shot down relatively quick a few years back. :(

well, I think it should be revisited....

as bluechip pointed out, because there "is" a difference in a frankenbook "ext" and a book that is borderline mod to ext (but gets ext), there should be some sort of standard or comparative measure...

I agree 100%. I was always in favor of the the "resto-grade" addition to the purple label. Unfortunately, too many thought the proposed system would be too confusing or not necessary.

I always thought that it was a ridiculous arguement. Anyone buying a comic should know how to read so what is so difficult about reading the label? I'm sure going from a 3 point to a 5 or 7 or 100 point grading scale was a learning curve too but everyone adapted, didn't they?

R.

I think there's at least a little room for adjusting the restored label. To jump from slight to moderate seems a little silly to me. I think "Slight" should be reserved for a dot of CT, a cleaning, tear seal, bindery chip fill, etc. There should be a new category "Light" - that falls between a minor repair, and "Moderate". I've never understood why they skipped over that tier. Even salsa comes in mild, medium, and hot. Slight would be tomato paste with a little pepper.

Just think of the resubmission potential if the restored definitions are expanded on.

It would also make people more careful about what was done, and probably less likely to do unnecessary work. Now, the system favors those who simply go ahead and do the most amount of work and don't bother itemizing it.

It seems to me that it's in the companies favor to keep things as vague and ambiguous as possible. That way the rules are easier to tweak and evolve, thus providing profit flexibility.

I recall Borock telling me last year that they are working on new labels which specify different "tiers" of resto (ie more in depth than Slight, Mod, Ext). I imagine it would have specifics with PQ as well...some books have slight brittleness only in particular areas or pages and it wold be nice to note, so the buyers can have as much info as possible buying a book that they can't "see" in the slab.

It seems to me that it's in the companies favor to keep things as vague and ambiguous as possible. That way the rules are easier to tweak and evolve, thus providing profit flexibility.

Post of the day. (worship)

Post of the YEAR!

Did this book sell?

Book did look nicer than a 1.8

The question is:

does a book that looks like a VG (restored) and has brittleness on the 1st 2 wraps make it a restored G-. Does that make sense? Keep in mind that I did see this book years ago when it was still in the bound volume but have not had a chance to view it in its current state.

S