• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ironman Annual # 1 9.8 signed by jeff bridges for sale

129 posts in this topic

Difference is, I'm not acting as a de facto CGC rep in an area that a # of people have questions on. I'm not selling a service to people. Don't you think CGC main grading gets tired of answering the same questions all the time? You don't see Steve posting here responding in a like manner. And they do answer most every question about regular submission on the website. This is just an inherent side effect of not having all the information in a format that people can access without interacting with people (witnesses).

And I haven't mentioned it before now, but I did think it was a little funny that the OP seemed to get peturbed that people didn't understand how rare this item was a whole 90 minutes after he posted.

I have no problem answering the same question over and over again to new people. Nor do I have a problem repeating myself, I just decided that it was a good time to make a more definite statement on the subject to prevent future repetitions of the question by the poster I was responding to as well as leaving something out there for others to refer to.

A comic book that has received the Signature Series label has to be from an approved signing. I'm sorry that is not as straight-forward to some people as it should be. Non-approved books would not be accepted for Signature Series.

Signatures Series is not set up in the same manner as other CGC services in that you can't simply pack your books up in a box and say "here you go, grade my books". As you know, you have to explain who you want, then we have to price it out, give you an estimated timeline, etc. Putting out specifics in the detail that you seem to be requesting would end up being a lengthy and even more confusing. So what we do is provide the basic information, and indicate if you are interested we will work things out with you and give you an estimate.

And what can you say about Kris except that he was excited and anxious?

Well said in both posts Kevin. My point is just that this type of questioning is to be expected when you rely on the boards to flesh out the rules of SS. I will derail Kris' thread no more. :tonofbricks:

Hey Kev, maybe you should create a "sticky" thread that answers these questions about SS so you can avoid retyping this stuff over and over again.

Granted there's a sticky thread for "questions about" ss, but maybe a simple thread with the straight up answers for the most commonly asked questions is needed.

Well Gentleman The book has Been taken off the market. I accepted a nice offer from grails for the Tron Book which is signed by jeff bridges aswell.

Now the Iron Man book will go in my collection as I was going to keep one for myself.

If I see any further argument in this thread I will Ask the arch to close it.

To those who defended me and the SS program in this thread I salute you. You are true gentlemen.

As for those who questioned me or the SS program Shame on you.

I have been around here for awhile and I have a good rep. The SS program is solid.

Have some faith.

Kris

Kris,

Congratulations on the sale of the Tron book.

I don't feel that it is unfair to question things when it's done in a non-insulting manner, as was the case here in this thread. So far, as a board moderator I don't feel that anyone stepped over any lines when it came to questioning you specifically beyond simple curiousity -- such as how do you, Kris, preserve a book well enough to maintain a high grade at a signing and you handled that response well. The "was this an SS approved signing" question wasn't meant to slight you either, Sam has explained that he wasn't being malicious in asking. Most of the questions seemed directed more towards the process than you personally.

If things did devolve into insults and name-calling then the thread will be closed. So far there's not been any of that.

Kevin

Well Gentleman The book has Been taken off the market. I accepted a nice offer from grails for the Tron Book which is signed by jeff bridges aswell.

Now the Iron Man book will go in my collection as I was going to keep one for myself.

To those who defended me and the SS program in this thread I salute you. You are true gentlemen.

I have been around here for awhile and I have a good rep. The SS program is solid.

Have some faith.

Kris

Sensitive much?

Transplant I do not know who you are nor do I care to know who you are. In the future refrain from posting in any threads I start.

I have collected autographs and comics for 18 years. I have a shining reputation, and have made many friends in this business.

I Don't need a Johnny come Lately board member questioning me about anything.

Especially an autograph, or how/where it was obtained, or how/why it was approved for signature series.

If you do not like Signature series or CGC leave the boards it is simple as that.

As for being sensitive. No I am not.

I am aggressive though.

Have some faith.

Kris

Sensitive much?

You did derail the thread and now are doing it again, but that's par for the course

Transplant I do not know who you are nor do I care to know who you are. In the future refrain from posting in any threads I start.

I have collected autographs and comics for 18 years. I have a shining reputation, and have made many friends in this business.

I Don't need a Johnny come Lately board member questioning me about anything.

Especially an autograph, or how/where it was obtained, or how/why it was approved for signature series.

If you do not like Signature series or CGC leave the boards it is simple as that.

As for being sensitive. No I am not.

I am aggressive though. OOOOHHHH

:roflmao:

You might want to read the thread again. I never questioned you or the autograph or how you got it or any of that. :screwy: I just said that Kevin may have reacted a little strong to valid questions that were raised, not about you but about people wanting to know how the process works. I think this serves as evidence of that fact:

I don't feel that it is unfair to question things when it's done in a non-insulting manner, as was the case here in this thread. So far, as a board moderator I don't feel that anyone stepped over any lines when it came to questioning you specifically beyond simple curiousity -- such as how do you, Kris, preserve a book well enough to maintain a high grade at a signing and you handled that response well. The "was this an SS approved signing" question wasn't meant to slight you either, Sam has explained that he wasn't being malicious in asking. Most of the questions seemed directed more towards the process than you personally.

As for SS and the CGC boards, I think I'll stay. In fact, I still have a couple of things that I'm waiting for the right person to appear.

Pirate: I'm not sure what you mean by par for the course, but I didn't derail the thread. It was already off track when I got here.

Then how can we make Signature Series more clear for you?

Kevin, I see where he's coming from. If you're new to the SS thing or not paying attention then it could appear a bit confusing. This is a question coming from someone on the board, just imagine what the perception is off the boards.

Oddball books seem to be popping up from time to time and it fully understandable that people would wonder where they came from (and why they didn't hear about it.)

There is also the perception that SS witnesses are nothing but hawks and do nothing but get books signed in order to flip. Imagine being at a con and seeing a witness with 100 books getting signed and then, 6 weeks later, that same person is selling the same books. Right or wrong this is the perception by many (especially those off the board) and it's starting to filter to the artists and writers. Unless you guys do some damage control in the way of letting the mainstream know what it is you do and how it's done I think you're going to start seeing some pushback from talent willing to sign for SS.

Kevin, I see where he's coming from. If you're new to the SS thing or not paying attention then it could appear a bit confusing. This is a question coming from someone on the board, just imagine what the perception is off the boards.

Oddball books seem to be popping up from time to time and it fully understandable that people would wonder where they came from (and why they didn't hear about it.)

There is also the perception that SS witnesses are nothing but hawks and do nothing but get books signed in order to flip. Imagine being at a con and seeing a witness with 100 books getting signed and then, 6 weeks later, that same person is selling the same books. Right or wrong this is the perception by many (especially those off the board) and it's starting to filter to the artists and writers. Unless you guys do some damage control in the way of letting the mainstream know what it is you do and how it's done I think you're going to start seeing some pushback from talent willing to sign for SS.

I completely understand that Signature Series is confusing to many. We've tried to provide the basic facts on how we do it, and we've asked that if people have more questions that they contact CGC directly for more information and we also refer people to the chatboard for information on upcoming signings and shows, as well as being a place to ask questions publicly.

That's why I asked --- if Transplant was still unclear about SS - ask and I'll help clear up some of his questions. SS isn't secretive, but we'll all agree that at times it can be very confusing. Last year I attended 14 conventions so that I can answer such questions and help the public (and some creators with questions) understand just what it is we are doing and how the process works.

Now on the flip side, when active message board participants keep asking the same question every time a book from outside of a convention shows up, then obviously we aren't providing the correct information, which is why I stated this in as clearest terms as I can state --- if it's Signature Series, then someone from CGC supervising Signature Series signings had to approve it. It's not secretive, the Witnesses learn of a signing (or make arrangements to set one up) and then they send in the details and the either get approved or not.

What I'm suggesting is that those who are now familiar might approach the "where did this book come from question" by asking "when did you meet X to get this book signed?", which makes a lot more sense than "was this SS approved"? I'm sure that Kris Moore would be more than happy to relate his exciting meeting with actor Jeff Bridges at a movie premiere in Dallas. But if it's an SS book, it had to have been approved before it was signed, graded and encapsulated.

There's not a lot I can do about the hawk perception except talk to the people who are disgruntled/concerned. It is a hawk and dove scenario, some people are doing this for themselves and for other collectors, others are dealers doing it to sell. For many it is a bit of both. My response would be that in both scenarios, someone had to buy the book and someone had to pay for the service fees. It's a long road from buying a comic to getting a Signature Series book back. On top of that, Witnesses have to pay to get themselves to these events - flight, hotels, meals. Since many Witnesses are fans and collectors themselves they are also buying original art or sketches or prints, and more comics at the shows and events they attend. It's all interconnected. I've known a few Witnesses who have become great friends with some creators over the years. I know I've made a few.

But certainly I've had questions from creators over the years. Selling autographed items is something most, if not all, are aware is a part of the hobby side of the business. If they don't understand what the SS service is from the literature, we've been more than happy to help answer any questions they might have.

Let me start by stating that I love SS. I obviously buy and submit books and I respect all of the witnesses I've met here. I've even "flipped" a book or two myself. One of the things that sets SS apart from all other CGC services is that those tasked with upholding its integrity (witnesses) also profit from it. Part of what makes CGC so trusted is its objectiveness (imo). I believe this is one of the reasons that CGC employees probably aren't allowed to be in the comic selling business. I think this may lead to some of the hostility/questioning of the service. I don't agree with it (I'm all for capitalism), but I think it'll eventually cause problems down the line.

I have no idea what could be done about it. Hell, why would a witness "witness" if there were no incentive. I'm just respectfully adding my 2c

P.S. Please don't take any of this personally, it's not an attack, just a thought. :hi: And witnesses ( :foryou: )

Without this program a guy like me wouldn't have a chance to have his favorite creators sign books without having to deal with countless, untrustworthy internet sharks (worship)

That's why I asked --- if Tangent was still unclear about SS - ask and I'll help clear up some of his questions. SS isn't secretive, but we'll all agree that at times it can be very confusing.

I'm loving your oh so veiled snarkiness in my direction. You know very well, and acknowledge in your response that I'm not the only one with questions.

SS isn't secretive, but we'll all agree that at times it can be very confusing.

Agreed. It's less so after you recent posts in the question thread (And yes, I did catch the sublte dig at my earlier "secretive" comments). I agree with other though that you might be better served compiling this info in a sticky separate thread, like a bigger FAQ than the one on the CGC site.

Let me start by stating that I love SS. I obviously buy and submit books and I respect all of the witnesses I've met here. I've even "flipped" a book or two myself. One of the things that sets SS apart from all other CGC services is that those tasked with upholding its integrity (witnesses) also profit from it. Part of what makes CGC so trusted is its objectiveness (imo). I believe this is one of the reasons that CGC employees probably aren't allowed to be in the comic selling business. I think this may lead to some of the hostility/questioning of the service. I don't agree with it (I'm all for capitalism), but I think it'll eventually cause problems down the line.

I have no idea what could be done about it. Hell, why would a witness "witness" if there were no incentive. I'm just respectfully adding my 2c

P.S. Please don't take any of this personally, it's not an attack, just a thought. :hi: And witnesses ( :foryou: )

Without this program a guy like me wouldn't have a chance to have his favorite creators sign books without having to deal with countless, untrustworthy internet sharks (worship)

Very well said, and I agree 100% (thumbs u

I love SS as well, and have nothing but respect for my witness buddies, but to the outside public (non-board members, etc.), it might look a little funny. This might lead to the questioning and doubts referred to above. Again, just my 2c , I will continue to submit and use this GREAT service!

Not necessarily digs. You perceive it as a dig because you were the one that suggested SS was secretive on a couple of occasions.

My feeling on that is this --- if you perceived it as such enough to state it that way, even if it's just less clear, it only stands to reason that others must also be perceiving it as such.. Am I off-base to reason that is the case?