• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ironman Annual # 1 9.8 signed by jeff bridges for sale

129 posts in this topic

Not necessarily digs. You perceive it as a dig because you were the one that suggested SS was secretive on a couple of occasions.

My feeling on that is this --- if you perceived it as such enough to state it that way, even if it's just less clear, it only stands to reason that others must also be perceiving it as such. Am I off-base to reason that is the case?

Taken to PM.

Without this program a guy like me wouldn't have a chance to have his favorite creators sign books without having to deal with countless, untrustworthy internet sharks (worship)

Agreed! I rarely get to attend shows and meet the creators that I would love to meet. The people on these boards and the witnesses have been a great thing for me! I've also made some great new friends! (thumbs u

I'm loving your oh so veiled snarkiness in my direction. You know very well, and acknowledge in your response that I'm not the only one with questions.

Just like you, I had a lot of questions when I started down the CGC SS path. Just like you, I asked them. Unlike you, I received what I considered to be satisfactory responses that helped me better understand this niche. Now, when I wonder about how signatures were obtained, approved, or just can't make out a label in a pic, I PM the witness/seller to find out what I want to know. It makes it less accusatory and is much less likely to put anyone on the defensive.

I also think that if you will go back through this thread objectively, that you will see that there is very little "snarkiness."

Take the chip off of your shoulder, relax, and enjoy your hobby and the interaction with those that share it. (thumbs u

Not necessarily digs. You perceive it as a dig because you were the one that suggested SS was secretive on a couple of occasions.

My feeling on that is this --- if you perceived it as such enough to state it that way, even if it's just less clear, it only stands to reason that others must also be perceiving it as such.. Am I off-base to reason that is the case?

I was one of the biggest "CGC Haters" out there when the business started up. I have slowly come in from the cold and see it for what it is. A tool for me to use. An incredibly handy tool, but by no means a perfect one. I would definitely like a lot more transparency with regards to grading standards and criteria, but that's me.

When it comes to CGC SS, I don't know how it could be more transparent. A witness applies for an event, (hopefully) gets that event approved, gets an item or items signed and keeps those items in their possession until shipped out for grading. The last step has a bit of flexability in that they don't get an item signed and immediately ship it, but can get multiple signatures at a few events before submitting it. Am I missing anything?

(shrug)

Thank you MedicAR for trying to get us back on course.

Transplant I will say this again. Do not post in this thread or any other thread I start.

If you continue to ignore my request. I will contact a moderator.

This thread was to advertise a Book I had for sale. The intent of the thread was ruined.

In addition the Book has been taken off the market and the other Jeff Bridges book has been sold.

No offense, but you don't get to pick and choose who replies in your thread. Since you took the book off the market, kinda hard to derail it now isn't it? P.S. you haven't responded to my logical responses to your emotional post earlier. I.e., I didn't question your ability or truthfulness.

This thread was to advertise a Book I had for sale. The intent of the thread was ruined.

In addition the Book has been taken off the market and the other Jeff Bridges book has been sold.

So it's not really your thread any more. :thumbsup:

Kris, grow a thicker skin... you're not the first (nor will you be the last) to have a thread derailed (even a sales thread). Just be glad Greggy is not into SS.

My feeling on that is this --- if you perceived it as such enough to state it that way, even if it's just less clear, it only stands to reason that others must also be perceiving it as such. Am I off-base to reason that is the case?

Taken to PM.
:golfclap:

My feeling on that is this --- if you perceived it as such enough to state it that way, even if it's just less clear, it only stands to reason that others must also be perceiving it as such.. Am I off-base to reason that is the case?

I was one of the biggest "CGC Haters" out there when the business started up. I have slowly come in from the cold and see it for what it is. A tool for me to use. An incredibly handy tool, but by no means a perfect one. I would definitely like a lot more transparency with regards to grading standards and criteria, but that's me.

When it comes to CGC SS, I don't know how it could be more transparent. A witness applies for an event, (hopefully) gets that event approved, gets an item or items signed and keeps those items in their possession until shipped out for grading. The last step has a bit of flexability in that they don't get an item signed and immediately ship it, but can get multiple signatures at a few events before submitting it. Am I missing anything?

(shrug)

the secret handshake and deals with the devil, but you got the jist of it.

Thank you MedicAR for trying to get us back on course.

Transplant I will say this again. Do not post in this thread or any other thread I start.

If you continue to ignore my request. I will contact a moderator.

CLOSE THE THREAD THEN

There is also the perception that SS witnesses are nothing but hawks and do nothing but get books signed in order to flip. Imagine being at a con and seeing a witness with 100 books getting signed and then, 6 weeks later, that same person is selling the same books. Right or wrong this is the perception by many (especially those off the board) and it's starting to filter to the artists and writers. Unless you guys do some damage control in the way of letting the mainstream know what it is you do and how it's done I think you're going to start seeing some pushback from talent willing to sign for SS.

I somewhat agree with this. It seems odd that witnesses can attend events on their own, with their own books, get them signed, and then sell them later for a profit. (without ever telling anyone else about the event).

If the witnesses are supposed to be impartial, then the event should be announced in advance so others are able to submit books if they like.

I somewhat agree with this. It seems odd that witnesses can attend events on their own, with their own books, get them signed, and then sell them later for a profit. (without ever telling anyone else about the event).

If the witnesses are supposed to be impartial, then the event should be announced in advance so others are able to submit books if they like.

CGC Signature Series Witnesses that are private individuals (that are not employed by CGC) that have been given permission by CGC to obtain autographs on collectibles - primarily for their own collectibles - they are also allowed to accept and Witness books on behalf of others if they so choose. They are not required to do this.

As defined elsewhere in the Q&A thread they are allowed to do this only after they have been screened and signed a Witness Agreement with very specific rules on what is and isn't allowed and these Witnesses are regularly monitored.

CGC Signature Series Witnesses that are private individuals (that are not employed by CGC) that have been given permission by CGC to obtain autographs on collectibles - primarily for their own collectibles - they are also allowed to accept and Witness books on behalf of others if they so choose. They are not required to do this.

As defined elsewhere in the Q&A thread they are allowed to do this only after they have been screened and signed a Witness Agreement with very specific rules on what is and isn't allowed and these Witnesses are regularly monitored.

Seems to leave it wide open for fraudulent practices with no REAL guarantee of authenticity.

Seems to leave it wide open for fraudulent practices with no REAL guarantee of authenticity.

Let me stick up for SS witnesses here. My understanding is that there is a good prescreen process for witnesses to avoid just this. None of the witnesses have given any reason to question their honesty. Plus, how much of a premium is there for having a book signed anyway. Some, but not enough for most honest people to turn bad.

This seems to be the question that keeps coming up in the thread. People seem to view witnesses as an extension of CGC. They aren't paid traditionally, but are CGC witnesses compensated somehow by CGC for becoming certified (fee adjustments, free grading, etc)? If there is, it seems people have issue with them not being held to the same ethical business standards as other CGC employees. If they're not, CGC/Kevin don't have anything to defend really (it's all about business). Again, not an attack or jab, just an observation as to what the core issue seems to be by those who don't normally frequent the room.