• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does centering matter to you on a 9.8

39 posts in this topic

This is today's CGC comic of the day:

DetectiveComics47598.jpg

What a beauty. This is probably my second favorite Marshall Rogers cover in this run (the first being "The Batman Is Dead")

But I can't help noticing the CENT symbol is trimmed off a bit on the right edge. It's not bad, at least the cover is not crooked, unlike some other 9.8 comics I hae seen.

Now I know CGC does not consider centering issues when grading, but I just wondered how much it mattered to the prices collectors of 9.8 late 1970's comic would be willing to pay.

All other things being equal, how much more might a perfectly centered copy command on the market, compared to this copy.

It would really depend on how bad I needed the slab and/or the available float in the census. I actually do not mind the spine showing terribly as long as its straight all the way down. Something that I would definitely not buy would be spine mis-wrap where you get half the spine showing and then it disappears either on the way down or way up and the centering is totally thrown off.

I actually like a little white strip down the spine...however...I don't like when a letter box or price gets clipped....

Yes a much more desirable scenario. The flip side of the straight white spine is something wrapped too tightly where its actually blending into the back cover and like you said some of the price disappears.

This is today's CGC comic of the day:

DetectiveComics47598.jpg

What a beauty. This is probably my second favorite Marshall Rogers cover in this run (the first being "The Batman Is Dead")

But I can't help noticing the CENT symbol is trimmed off a bit on the right edge. It's not bad, at least the cover is not crooked, unlike some other 9.8 comics I hae seen.

Now I know CGC does not consider centering issues when grading, but I just wondered how much it mattered to the prices collectors of 9.8 late 1970's comic would be willing to pay.

All other things being equal, how much more might a perfectly centered copy command on the market, compared to this copy.

I'd much rather have a perfectly centered 9.6 with a slightly rounded corner...than a 9.8 with a miswrap. It's all about eye appeal for me....and a lesser grade copy without the miswrap would present better.

If the other 9.8 is centered nicely...I imagine it would sell for a premium over this one.

I. . . I actually do not mind the spine showing terribly as long as its straight all the way down.

(thumbs u I agree with this! a back-to-front miswrap that is even like this one doesn;t really bother me at all. But, a tapered (crooked) white edge on the spine is distracting. LOTS of my silver age Marvels are mis-wrapped front-to-back, so that the "1" in the "12¢" price is not visible from the front. Makes it look like a 2¢ cover price.

Kinda like this one:

IMandSM-1.jpg

hmmm . . . I wonder if Cal has one of these 2¢ variants?

The way I figure it, when you are buying a late 1970's comic in 9.8, you are paying that premium for PERFECTION over all the 9.4's and 9.6's that could be readily achieved if they were worth submitting. And if a comic is not centered perfectly, then you are not getting PERFECTION, even if CGC chooses to ignore centering issues.

I. . . I actually do not mind the spine showing terribly as long as its straight all the way down.

(thumbs u I agree with this! a back-to-front miswrap that is even like this one doesn;t really bother me at all. But, a tapered (crooked) white edge on the spine is distracting. LOTS of my silver age Marvels are mis-wrapped front-to-back, so that the "1" in the "12¢" price is not visible from the front. Makes it look like a 2¢ cover price.

Kinda like this one:

IMandSM-1.jpg

hmmm . . . I wonder if Cal has one of these 2¢ variants?

Yeah I have a bunch of silver with this kind of production phenom. There were times when I even had a few specific issues on my radar and could never find one without the spine mishap, so it was a mass produced problem.

Just off the top of my head and a book most people have seen, the original Star Wars # 1 from the 70's usually has white spine or some kind of spine issue from the front view. I have rarely seen one dead centered straight. They are usually like this one - the spine is a half and half:

50817-94a0_1.JPG.abcd6a335a8602c207882e4f5d68b85a.JPG

Centering is important to me. As Beyonder stated, I'll take a centered 9.6 over a miswrapped 9.8. I'm still trying to upgrade some of my 9.8 SA Marvel keys to centered ones.

Centering on 9.8s doesn't matter to me at all.....because I don't buy 9.8s.....because 9.8s are for suckers. :baiting:

(tsk)

Buy the book, not the grade. I personally will refrain from 9.8s without good centering, although I have some in my collection I purchased before I wised up.

Centering on 9.8s doesn't matter to me at all.....because I don't buy 9.8s.....because 9.8s are for suckers. :baiting:

(tsk)

Buy the book, not the grade. I personally will refrain from 9.8s without good centering, although I have some in my collection I purchased before I wised up.

I agree 100%, buy the book not the grade. I look for the finest examples I can find and if they happen to be 9.6 or 9.8 or 9.9, so be it.

(tsk)

Sucker.

Centering is very important to me although in some cases there are books with a large % of misswrap problems when they are printed... case in point - X-Men 31. The book is almost always misswrapped front to back... this is the only case where I would buy a book that is misswrapped unattractively. For BA-MA stuff I wait for a nicely centered copy

(tsk)

Sucker.

:acclaim:

Centering matters to me ALWAYS...regardless of grade.

Yep.

Although I don't require "perfect" centering.

Just well-centered is OK with me.

The way I figure it, when you are buying a late 1970's comic in 9.8, you are paying that premium for PERFECTION over all the 9.4's and 9.6's that could be readily achieved if they were worth submitting. And if a comic is not centered perfectly, then you are not getting PERFECTION, even if CGC chooses to ignore centering issues.

:applause:

A badly centered 9.8 isn't a 9.8. :gossip: