• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Artist For Sinister House of Secret Love

61 posts in this topic

maybe somewhere in between would be ideal... because the stat looks too bright and cheerful compared to the dark and moody printed version. The other eye is nice but not really necessary. Bottom line though is quality control was not job number one, as Ford Motor used to say.

Good Art, as in Beauty, is in the eye (wink wink --- geez, another pun) of the beholder. So, until I see an "in between" rendering, I'll take my girl with both eyes, having only these two from which to choose.

Hey fellas,

First of all, great find!!! That's always been one of my favorite gothic-type covers.

And seeing that negative and the printed cover leads me to believe that this is a graytone / washtone cover. In other words, not printed with the typical CMYK (cyan/magenta/yellow/black) four colour process, but rather with the Jack Adler patented technique of employing washes of spot colour.

In many cases, there was a final black plate printed over the colour washes... what you have found appears to be the piece of negative film for etching the black plate.. the giveaway is the piece of red tape around the edges of the film.. it's called rubylith, and it is used by lithographers to create black areas of film - the process camera see the red tape as black.

As great as greytones are, sometimes they came out a little muddy... that's probably the case here too. Graytones were a bit of a hit and miss process.

Anyway... a lot of printing tomfoolery, but a sweetass piece of comics history.

Shep

Hey fellas,

First of all, great find!!! That's always been one of my favorite gothic-type covers.

And seeing that negative and the printed cover leads me to believe that this is a graytone / washtone cover. In other words, not printed with the typical CMYK (cyan/magenta/yellow/black) four colour process, but rather with the Jack Adler patented technique of employing washes of spot colour.

In many cases, there was a final black plate printed over the colour washes... what you have found appears to be the piece of negative film for etching the black plate.. the giveaway is the piece of red tape around the edges of the film.. it's called rubylith, and it is used by lithographers to create black areas of film - the process camera see the red tape as black.

As great as greytones are, sometimes they came out a little muddy... that's probably the case here too. Graytones were a bit of a hit and miss process.

Anyway... a lot of printing tomfoolery, but a sweetass piece of comics history.

Shep

Great info, Shep!

sig.jpg

You see above the Close up of the signature for the original oil painting for Sinister House of Secret love issue 2. The owner asked that I respect his wishes and not show the complete image. He is a very private person and slightly eccentric. A very nice guy but he would rather not let others know exactly what he has. I have seen this art and can verify that this signature is from The art mentioned. I have a full scan in fact but again he asked that I not show the full image. I really need to try to get this guy to join the boards. He is a literal fountain of knowledge and he has literally thousands of peices of OA from all of the major artiststs from the 50 thru the 70s and quite a few from the Golden Age as well. His collection is ridicullously large and comprehensive. It would be fun for us all to have him join up and display his treasures. Ok as mentioned earlier here is an example of an artist not getting his due. Jeff Jones is credited in overstreet with the art on this cover. If you look can you can clearly see that is not Mr Jones signature. I wont predjudice any one with telling you what it looks like as I would really like some help solving the mystery of the true artist. Any information and Ideas on what you see would help.

Iknow it is weird he wont let me show the full image but that is his wish.

Hey guys,

I am pretty sure that I have seen the artwork to this book and House of Secrets 88 on the covers of Gothic Romance novels. Anyone know anything about this dual use or which came first? It might be helpful in tracking down the original artist.

--S.

Yes the Artist who did the first issue of this series did a lot of Paperback Gothic romance in the 60s and 70s maybe this Guy did the same.

Thanks Seanh for the suggestion!

I would really like some help solving the mystery of the true artist. Any information and Ideas on what you see would help.

Iknow it is weird he wont let me show the full image but that is his wish.

Find a way to get this posted in the Never-Ending Comic Book Quiz in Comics General, and Bangzoom, Selegue, Scrooge or bronze_rules will certainly get the answer! :grin::banana:

Inversion with a little color added.

14mt5b6.jpg

My goodness. It is time to start doing some prints & t-shirts.

This might have to be my new avatar.

Holy cr@p on a stick, I love it.

The artist's signature and artwork looks very much like that of Victor Kalin.

Although, I am close to certain it is his work, if you truly wanted 100% verification, you

could try to contact his daughter through the blog I show beneath.

Her entry was very recent.

Here is some info culled and put together from various sources on the web...

Check out the little light that was on upstairs in the castle tower. :)

35ddfft.jpg