• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,217 posts in this topic

Man, looking at your scans make it look like my pulps were stored in a grass hut somewhere in Africa for 80 years by comparison. Maybe I can claim them as the 'Tarzan' pedigree.

Awesome stuff, as usual!

:signfunny:

Thanks.

Bill Benulis cover

img565.jpg

I don't recognize the name, but I'm intrigued...

From Wikipedia:

Bill Benulis (born 1928 in Brooklyn, New York) was an American comic book artist in the 1950s. His style is distinctive, and he signed his work, but he drew only a small number of stories, in a variety of genres. His work appears in war comics, horror comics, and science fiction comics, and was reprinted in the Marvel Comics reprint series, War Is Hell, as well as in several of the reprints of fifties comic books published under the IW imprint in the sixties.

Benulis was born in 1928 in Brooklyn, New York. He married in 1959, and has three children and two grandchildren.

He decided not to pursue his art further past the early 50's in order to provide for his family by working in the post office. Despite living with the after-effects of childhood polio, he worked many years on foot as a letter carrier in the post office and retired from it around 1993. Sadly, he never drew any more after his short time in comics—a time in which he was able to work alongside others he admired like Will Eisner and Stan Lee. He illustrated a cover for an early science fiction book by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

When you guys start discussing Astoundings I'll post my images of those

:idea: I think we should start discussing Astoundings.

hm Well, hmmm, yes, I'm willing but to do that too but I'm afraid we will need BZ and Co to post another few dozen covers at least...maybe more...

Bill Benulis (born 1928 in Brooklyn, New York) was an American comic book artist in the 1950s. His style is distinctive, and he signed his work, but he drew only a small number of stories, in a variety of genres. His work appears in war comics, horror comics, and science fiction comics, and was reprinted... in several of the reprints of fifties comic books published under the IW imprint in the sixties.

Benulis had a very distinctive style. Here are a couple of IW's which feature Benulis's work - reprints of late Planet Comics:

IW-SUPER003.jpg

IW-SUPER006.jpg

IW-SUPER005.jpg

IW-SUPER004.jpg

When you guys start discussing Astoundings I'll post my images of those

:idea: I think we should start discussing Astoundings.

Just checked the thread. hm ...Not a bad idea! I see several other have picked up on it for a few posts, so I'll join in.

This is the perfect kick-off for my Astounding collection...

Astounding_single_1_med.jpg