• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,213 posts in this topic

lines written upon hearing that Red Fury will share WT 5/36...

To think that I may soon behold

This image of the gods of old,

Shapes that mock logic and reveal

Knowledge- a wound that cannot heal-

Of things that won’t let one stay sane:

Already it doth shake my brain!

I vow to look, though my soul shall ache-

This is a thirst that I must slake.

Thanks Todd!

Edited by pcalhoun

Thanks Todd!

Nice Pat! But you need to work the word "gibbering" in there somewhere. :baiting:

special request to BZ or anyone with May 1936 WT- is ish with 'The Faceless God' would love to see Finlay pic HPL wrote on (even if they spelled V's name wrong...)

I found this copy of the illustration on the Internet. It's much nicer than any photo I could take from the issue in my collection.

finlay.jpg

Beautiful copy BZ! :applause:

By "splashing" or mixing the genres, Howard was able to increase the number of markets he could sell a particular story to and in doing so created a number of new hybrid genres: sword and sorcery, weird western, etc. But one hybrid that just didn't catch on was "weird boxing." :P

Howard's original title was "The Spirit of Tom Molyneaux" and the editor made several heavy-handed changes prior to publication, imo messing up the reveal at the end. Howard's original version was recently published in the Del Rey Best Of collection (Xaltotun, were you involved in that one?). I've actually got an article on this story coming out shortly in an REH fanzine.

Thanks Todd!

I love the poem, Pat! :applause: I see BZ has already found a nice, clean version of the image on the web, but I pulled out my copy anyway to compare. So here's that image, plus two other Finlay pieces from the same issue. Enjoy!

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

Howard's original title was "The Spirit of Tom Molyneaux" and the editor made several heavy-handed changes prior to publication, imo messing up the reveal at the end. Howard's original version was recently published in the Del Rey Best Of collection (Xaltotun, were you involved in that one?). I've actually got an article on this story coming out shortly in an REH fanzine.

Actually, it's more complicated than that. There is no way to way to know if the last three pages or so of the story were rewritten by the editors or by Howard himself. I'd tend to think REH himself did the rewrite, exactly in the same fashion he did for several contemporary stories. I'll email you the details later today.

Scan-111204-0002.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun

[

I love the poem, Pat! :applause: I see BZ has already found a nice, clean version of the image on the web, but I pulled out my copy anyway to compare. So here's that image, plus two other Finlay pieces from the same issue. Enjoy!

This is nice! (meaning, creepy!). Now I'm gibbering.

Actually, it's more complicated than that. There is no way to way to know if the last three pages or so of the story were rewritten by the editors or by Howard himself. I'd tend to think REH himself did the rewrite, exactly in the same fashion he did for several contemporary stories. I'll email you the details later today.

Scan-111204-0002.jpg

Interesting, because I think the published version is much weaker by hitting the reader over the head definitively with the id of the apparition. I think the original version works better as it's more subtle and keeps a sense of ambiguity (even though it's still clear who the apparition is). It just seems like the kind of change an editor would suggest to sort of "dumb it down." Look forward to that email. :popcorn:

Also, I see mentioned that it's in the Best Of collection, but I meant to say the Horror Stories collection.

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

Thanks for sharing those Todd. :applause:

We don't get to see enough interior illos in this thread.