• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

Todd, you're not alone in enjoying Shadow of the Vulture. Many people, myself included, think that his crusades stories are some his best work. They are dark, cynical works and written in true blood and thunder style. If you're interested in more I would highly recommend the Del Rey collection Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures:

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Woman-Other-Historical-Adventures/dp/0345505468

Very nice guys!!

Thanks David! :hi:

Todd, you're not alone in enjoying Shadow of the Vulture. Many people, myself included, think that his crusades stories are some his best work. They are dark, cynical works and written in true blood and thunder style. If you're interested in more I would highly recommend the Del Rey collection Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures:

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Woman-Other-Historical-Adventures/dp/0345505468

Lucky me, my brother gave me that book for Christmas! Now I just need to find time to read it. Seems my pile of books to read grows daily.

That's a great group you have. :applause:

I love those covers.

Thanks BZ! Me too.

Love the October issue :cloud9:

Me too. It's got great composition, vibrant colors, and a beautiful girl. A winning combination. (thumbs u

thanks Jeff and Todd- just finished chapter 1 of 'The Shadow of the Vulture' (after warming up with wiki on siege of Vienna) this is good ! bet REH read the Hungarian historical novels of Maurus Jokai. (Have this -1898- but haven't read yet...)

...set in seventeenth century Transylvania. One of Jokai's great historical romances and one of his most popular. Jokai wrote a sequel which ends with the collapse of the Turkish power in Hungary. "Bizarre, gorgeous, and picturesque forms flit before us -- rude feudal magnates and refined Machiavellian intriguers; superb Turkish pashas and ferocious Moorish bandits; noble, high-minded ladies and tigerish odalisks; saturnine Hungarian heydukes; superstitious Wallachian peasants, savage Szeklers, and scarcely human Tartars"...

img950.jpg

Wow wow wow wow wow - what a yarn! Two-Gun, you were really on FIRE that time. Happy Birthday, Sir !!!

Pat

Try "Lord of Samarcand" :gossip:

The Jokai book sounds fascinating and it does sound like it would be right up REH's alley. Harold Lamb and Talbot Mundy were probably his main inspirations on the historical and oriental adventure stories, but he has a voracious reader. BTW, "The Black Stone" also took place in Hungary and mentions Suleiman the Magnificent.

have 'Lord of Samarcand' on deck, but will wait a few days for the smoke to clear and the stench of death to dissipate. 'The Shadow of the Vulture' was indeed a feast of surpassing richness. The 'historical' REH style is more opulent- almost Flaubertian (Salammbo still towers over other romances...) with a grandiose grittiness that I find utterly appealing... (Mahlon Blaine from 1927 Day -mine 1931 Tudor- Salammbo)

reh.JPG

img951.jpg

Less than 20 ft (6.1 m) shorter than Hindenburg, she and her sister—Akron—were among the largest flying objects in the world in terms of length and volume. Although the hydrogen-filled Hindenburg was longer, the two sisters still hold the world record for helium-filled airships. Akron crashed too. Macon went down Feb12 1935 in Monterey Bay CA losing 2 of a crew of 76. seen here over NYC

350px-USSMaconNYC.jpg

What's better than one dirigeable? ... Two dirigeables, esp. if they are used to support a flying nazi base, as seen here from Contact # 5. I'll throw in this Cole illustration from the inside front cover, meaning it's facing the splash from the Golden Eagle story by Palais.

120680.jpg.d90e7081408f93e140fd9c4799ca4f1f.jpg

120681.jpg.13e32d44319e7cdce16bd9308507b53f.jpg

img954.jpg

Pat, regarding another book Mahlon Blaine illustrated - Black Majesty - there are two different covers both listed as "1st editions, 1928" by The Literary Guild of America, and Harper and Brothers. Any further info?

So I have question. Dwight, you may know the answer to this.

Is this the Frank Robinson copy of Zeppelin Stories #3 being auctioned by Heritage or is this another copy? I was under the impression that there was only one or two copies known to exist.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotNo=91661&lotIdNo=119028

GorillaGasbags.jpg