• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,266 posts in this topic

100_0998.jpg

You have a beauty there, Steve. :applause:

That cover is one of my all time favorites.

I always thought Alonzo Vincent's work on the strip Calling 2-R was very appealing. I liked it a lot.

Not the best examples, but all I have handy.

2R-1.jpg

2R-2.jpg

2R-3.jpg

2R-4.jpg

2R-5.jpg

2R-6.jpg

2R-7.jpg

2R-8.jpg

So, who gets the No-Prize, BZ or Sacentaur?

At any rate, the covers aren't as close as I thought they were but enough that there has to be some echoing going on.

I wonder where the Paul original is. Science Fiction at that time period was sending FOR FREE the cover to the writer who wrote the best letter about that month's issue. This cover was being offered for the lucky winner!!

On another contest, First Prize to Fourth Prize won $$ (Sam Moskowitz himself won $15 placing second or third). Fifth & Sixth place each got an original Paul painting. Betcha they didn't complain not finishing higher up. One painting went to Illinois and IIRC the other stayed on the East Coast.

I wonder where the Paul original is. Science Fiction at that time period was sending FOR FREE the cover to the writer who wrote the best letter about that month's issue. This cover was being offered for the lucky winner!!

On another contest, First Prize to Fourth Prize won $$ (Sam Moskowitz himself won $15 placing second or third). Fifth & Sixth place each got an original Paul painting. Betcha they didn't complain not finishing higher up. One painting went to Illinois and IIRC the other stayed on the East Coast.

Robert Lesser is the current owner of the painting.

Shocker! ;)

Edited by *paull*

2407597494_1b0e65262a_b.jpg

Paul's work was available for a pretty cheap price back in the day. I wonder where all of those recreations are?

Mark,

according to the Bookery Guide (come on, Tim, can't you answer the man directly :baiting: ) -

Federal Agent (Dell) is listed as Uncommon and the last 4 issues are scarcer than first 4 [Last four are May through November 1937] You show 2 of the scarcer ones.

Feds, The (S & S) is listed as Uncommon to Scarce

and Thrilling Spy Stories (Standard) are Somewhat Common (which I would have guessed being later books).

DSCN2677.jpg

DSCN2678.jpg

Great group of pulps, Mark. :applause:

Did you know that Public Enemy was the original title of the Federal Agent series?

publicenemy031936.jpgpublicenemy051936.jpg

(March and May 1936 issues)

In what seems to me to be a strange bit of marketing, the publisher reused the cover paintings of two Public Enemy (pictured above) exactly one year later on the March and May 1937 Federal Agent issues you own.

Meanwhile, some one requested by PM that I scan my issues of The Park Avenue Hunt Club from DFW. I might as well show them here as well all in one place.

These issues range from 1938 to 1940.

I like the covers. :applause:

I don't believe I've ever read a Judson Philips story. Do you recommend his work?

Shocker! ;)

Here it is:

1082_c.jpg

Dwight

I believe I the answer is "no" to this question, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

Was there a pulp that had a cover referencing the Hindenburg disaster explicitly? I know there were a number of zeppelin-covered books, but I don't think I've seen one with a Hindenburg or Hindenburg disaster cover.