• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,155 posts in this topic

Dwight, your collection is just amazing!

I was going through the Frank Robinson color book last night and it was blowing my mind. But I noticed there was a glaring hole in the collection as there were hardly any high grade Shadow pulps. I wonder what happened to them all. hm

I was going through the Frank Robinson color book last night and it was blowing my mind. But I noticed there was a glaring hole in the collection as there were hardly any high grade Shadow pulps. I wonder what happened to them all. hm

I was at Frank's house a few times and he did have 7 Shadows from the "Strasser" collection that I traded for. Surprisingly, The Creeping Death that he had graded a F-VF, I passed on, hands down. The Green color on the front cover almost looked in person like it was brownish (maybe sun faded or a poor color strike) and the book had a warped appearace to it, just something I cannot put a finger on.

I have 4 copies of The Creeping Death, but do not have a high grade one, even though I have high grade copies of about 99% of all the Shadows in the run...Hmm...have the original painting, but not a killer copy...a high grade one is certainly in my gunsights, as is a high grade #1 (mine is a VG- w. ow/w paper.)

Other than that, Frank really did not have alot of Shadows because he did not collect them (as a run anyway).

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

I was at Frank's house a few times and he did have 7 Shadows from the "Strasser" collection that I traded for. Surprisingly, The Creeping Death that he had graded a F-VF, I passed on, hands down. The Green color on the front cover almost looked in person like it was brownish (maybe sun faded or a poor color strike) and the book had a warped appearace to it, just something I cannot put a finger on.

I have 4 copies of The Creeping Death, but do not have a high grade one, even though I have high grade copies of about 99% of all the Shadows in the run...Hmm...have the original painting, but not a killer copy...a high grade one is certainly in my gunsights, as is a high grade #1 (mine is a VG- w. ow/w paper.)

Other than that, Frank really did not have alot of Shadows because he did not collect them (as a run anyway).

Dwight

I was partialy joking, as I remember you mentioned earlier that you had gotten some from him, but I am surprised it was only seven. I figured you had cleaned him out and that's why there were so few.

I noticed in looking for some of the lesser known REH books in titles like Spicy Adventure, Sport Story, Top Notch, etc. that they were often missing even though he had the surrounding issues. I'm wondering if it's coincidence or if one of the Howard collectors got to cherry pick them.

[font:Arial][font:Arial Black][font:Arial]Did you see that someone with clearly more money than knowledge (re: pulp pricing that is), has bid through the roof on about 6 Doc Savages, 2 Amazing Stories bedsheets, and for a Spider pulp.

I mean he put some bids on Doc Savages' and Spiders' that are 3X what a NM copy has sold for.

I think he got sucked in by John putting an astonomical high end estimate on some of it, he probably has a ton of cash, is not up on the prices, and just bid the high end or 10% over the high end.

ie) 1935 Spider in VF (should be $300-$500..even for a file NM file copy).

John's estimate was 300-$1000, the guy bid 1250.00??? The same with

the Doc Savages. I should find out the guys name and sell him my Spider

file copy that I bought from Frank a few years back[/font].[/font][/font]

Edited by detective35DF

That's crazy. Maybe he thought he was bidding on the run. lol

And he's the only bidder. Why does it show his max bid? That's weird.

It is not like ebay where an item could be at $400.00, and you put a $2000.00 max. bid in on it, knowing that it will not sell that high but wanting to make sure that you win the item. Then maybe a couple other bidders bid, and you end up getting it for $500.00 etc.

In this auction, once you put your max bid in, that is your bid, and it will show $2000.00 on the site.

It is completely different than ebay.

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

Another Fight Stories with a Steve Costigan story bu Robert E. Howard.

FightStories-1931-12.jpg

Nice! When Finn and I were at the PCA conference last year he was telling about how much Circus Fists was his favorite Costigan story. While we were there I won a low grade copy on ebay really cheap. So when I saw him next at Howard Days I had a surprise for him:

rehdays021.jpg

That's crazy. Maybe he thought he was bidding on the run. lol

And he's the only bidder. Why does it show his max bid? That's weird.

It is not like ebay where an item could be at $400.00, and you put a $2000.00 max. bid in on it, knowing that it will not sell that high but wanting to make sure that you win the item. Then maybe a couple other bidders bid, and you end up getting it for $500.00 etc.

In this auction, once you put your max bid in, that is your bid, and it will show $2000.00 on the site, and you are locked in at that bid, unless you call John ahead of time and tell him that you did not realize that this is what is happening.

I talked with a couple of strong bidders and they had no idea that this is how the bidding was being done.

It is completely different than ebay.

Dwight

That seems like a super-odd system. So you can only bid once, your maximum bid, and the whole world can see it?? Or am I misunderstanding something? (shrug) I've never seen an auction where all bidders can see your maximum bid.