• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,145 posts in this topic

I got the last two good ones in I was waiting on.

1st up is a very hard to find issue of Thrilling mystery, and other than the rubbing, is pretty solid condition wise.

Jan, 1939

3868674320_837f2dabeb_o.jpg

Awesome decap cover - never seen that before - makes me want to start looking for Pulps again!

And this one is just such a great cover. The colors are amazing! I am happy to have a decent example from this hard to find series!

May, 1936

3867895371_7c8f20d4d2_o.jpg

I think that is a very impressive series. I wonder how rare they are or are there a lot of pulp collectors that kept these.

1720201718_530fc49187_b.jpg

Part of an original owner collection of a thousand plus 1940's and '50's Detective pulps I bought last week. Science fiction and some adventure also. The thing that struck me most was the nice paper quality. Jack PulpSpines.jpg

Very cool. How did you come across them? I love treasure hunting stories!

A friend of mine is heavily into buying and selling antiques of all kinds. All kinds of stuff. Oriental Rugs, Militaria, oil paintings, etc. You name it, he has had it several times over.

He's been at it for almost forty years now. He has an elaborate network of pickers in several states.

Anyway, I wish it was an exciting story but a friend of his picked them up at an estate sale and flipped them to my buddy.

He has gotten me some great comics for me in the past. The last was an 8.0 double cover Superman 24.

Jack

I was in a row boat with my dog when he called. "I have twenty boxes of pulps," he said. "I'LL BE RIGHT THERE," I replied. It actually took several trips to seal the deal. Mostly indecision on my part. If you can believe that.

Thanks guys! I certainly can't resist a skeleton cover! I have one more good one coming, then I have to take a bit of a break, come back to it in a few weeks & see how I feel. I really do love these, everything about them is exciting to me, the age, the imagery, the stories & the historical importance. I just want to have some perspective before I buy any more pricey ones. I am prone to overindulgence. :) Every one I chose though, I went for because I thought they were the ones that interested me the most that were available in the marketplace at the time.

This a copy of Marvel Tales vol. 1, no. 2, a digest-sized fanzine published in 1934 by William Crawford. It contains the first appearance of "The Garden of Fear" by REH

MarvelTalesfcsm.jpg

Nice pick-up, Jeff. :applause:

This is a 1945 edition of The Garden of Fear. It's also published by Crawford.

gardenoffear.jpg

Thanks guys! I certainly can't resist a skeleton cover! I have one more good one coming, then I have to take a bit of a break, come back to it in a few weeks & see how I feel. I really do love these, everything about them is exciting to me, the age, the imagery, the stories & the historical importance.

I agree.

The letter columns are usually fun to read, too.