• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why would a dealer do this?

12 posts in this topic

that is the way neat stuff always seems to do it. I almost never see any of their auctions sell. They try to make a deal on the phone and avoid paying feebay.

The auction for the DC books that is over 17k was even more fun to look at.

There are several Neat Stuff auctions that I've placed thrill bids on in the past, even called on one, but they do want a lot of money for them.

They would rather bulk these out because they just have way too much stuff to take the time to sort it all.

Check out the vintage trading card auction they have listed. It's a money maker for the right person who has the right amount of time to invest in selling them piece by piece.

I imagine that they've paid very little for these collections also.

They are basicly volume dealers.

They buy/sell buy the pound/ton.

Put a few good books in with a ton of krap and stick it up on eBay.

They certainly like to turn large collections over quickly, partly 'cause that's always been how Mike works, and also 'cause they just don't have enough staff to handle the volume. However some of the stuff they get in is impressive, and they keep on finding it.

And then there's those occasional million comic auctions they do where the prospective buyer would need a few large warehouses and several trucks to hand. The mind boggles how they keep track of that sort of inventory.....

They are basicly volume dealers.

They buy/sell buy the pound/ton.

Put a few good books in with a ton of krap and stick it up on eBay.

They certainly like to turn large collections over quickly, partly 'cause that's always been how Mike works, and also 'cause they just don't have enough staff to handle the volume. However some of the stuff they get in is impressive, and they keep on finding it.

And then there's those occasional million comic auctions they do where the prospective buyer would need a few large warehouses and several trucks to hand. The mind boggles how they keep track of that sort of inventory.....

Its amazing how they keep coming up with these lots. I wonder if they are cobbled together over time or are from some massive original owner collection...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-Superman-DC-Golden-Age-Comic-Collection-Lot_W0QQitemZ120207790895QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The golden age auction is just crazy...

How do they get away with the blatant "fee avoidance" disclaimer about ending auctions early to sell?

"Want to know my reserve? Call me now"... Yeah, so I can convince you to do an off ebay deal.

He is a power seller though, so maybe ebay just looks the other way. hm

Typical Neatstuff. I'd love to know what they pay for these collections. Amazing how they can have such bulk inventory on such a constant basis.

Not sure I would agree with this statement, at least not as a general assertion: Dealers pay 80% to 95% of guide on VG and above Golden Age just to have it because they know it can be sold for guide or more.

I buy GA books/collections all the time, and I generally won't pay that kind of money and I probably pay more than most dealers (at least full-time ones). Sure, if you are buying a collection of Captain America, Marvel Mystery, etc., I may be willing to do so, but for books like Captain Marvel Adventures, My Little Margie, etc, I don't think so! doh!

I would be more than happy to sell Neatstuff the 700 book GA collection I bought this past Summer, which ranged generally in the VG+ area, of Fawcetts and Dells. I've been selling many of those copies for 50% of guide!!! :gossip:

I wish them all the best with this auction. A very sweet find! (thumbs u

Not quite. I think you could fit a million comics into a 2000 foot space, which is not that large of a warehouse.

Marc