• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TEC 29! -- greatly "devalued" by unnecessary? restoration

104 posts in this topic

I am also thinking about throwing in a bid on the book if the price looks "reasonable" at the end otherwise I am bowing out. My guess at a realistic price is in the $7k to $10k range with $12k the 3 sigma max. For myself, I wouldn't remove the restoration. For someone that would buy a restored copy, this book is very desirable because of the slight notation.

P.S. No intension of getting in a bidding war with Rick. I did that for my Detective 187 and my wallet still cries everytime I pull that book out.

hello all...

if I bid/win, I will leave book as is, and sell my cgc 3.5 blue tec 29...that is my motivation, to "downgrade" but get a book that looks "better"...

now, if George will sell me his under copy 4.0 (er, I mean 5.0) tec 31, and my run is back to all "blue" label, then I will pass...

got a month to decide, but I was thinking $10K was the target price (12K with BP)

rick

You have a blue #28 (worship)

nope, totally forgot...I meant from 29 up...I am still paying for my 27, so I dn't have that in my possession yet, and my 28 is still an ext restored copy...just a natural progression to upgrade, downgrade...I am thinking "downgrade" technically, but visually upgrading here...

rick

Shoot, I guess the cover was blown off on this book. Just when I told myself that this year I would spend way less than I did in 2007, this book popped up on Heritage. I saw book probably a week or so ago before it had all its info. up and been eyeing it ever since. As you know, I plan on upgrading my Tec 29, and this book seems to be the right candidate... I guess let the bidding wars begin.. Besides, I think this would look good side by side with my Tec 31 CGC 7.5(P) :cloud9:

wouldn't you like to buy my 3.5 tec 29 instead :wishluck:

nope, totally forgot...I meant from 29 up...I am still paying for my 27, so I dn't have that in my possession yet, and my 28 is still an ext restored copy...just a natural progression to upgrade, downgrade...I am thinking "downgrade" technically, but visually upgrading here...

rick

I will probably grade my 28 soon....and expect it to be a 3.0 blue.

just chiming in..........

I really don't understand why some people think this type of restoration is a bad thing. This is a book that probably began as a nice-looking 3.0 to 5.0, depending on how detached the cover was (might have just been staple pulls) but otherwise looked great. A bit of (removable) rice paper support has been added to add some structural integrity and allow you to open the book without worrying about causing any further damage. How can this be seen as anything other than an improvement? (shrug)

Should it command as much as a real 7.5? Of course not. But in an ideal world it should be worth about the same as whatever grade it was before the work was done, plus a little premium. The PLOD stigma on books with this type of minor conservation-type resto makes no sense to me.

Good luck to those of you pursuing this one as it looks like a sweet book that would look even better cracked out of that scarlet letter slab. (thumbs u

Jeff

rick

I will probably grade my 28 soon....and expect it to be a 3.0 blue.

just chiming in..........

wow...is it that much better in person?...from the scans he sent me, I figured 1.5 at best?...3.0 blue and you made the deal of the decade?

If what you really want is a VF unrestored copy of this book and you'd never consider a slight restored book, then you should want a return to the old days, when more buyers didn't care about slight restoration and you could get an unrestored for about the same, or a little bit more.

Every person whom you convince that this book has been rendered worthless is one more person who will compete with you when you go after the true unrestored VF you supposedly want. Wouldn't it be more to your advantage to let people feel the work is no big deal, so that when you go for the unrestored book you have less competition and can get it for less of a premium?

Uhhhhh....bluechip.....I'm not looking to "get" anything out of this, like lower its perceived value, etc etc. I simply started a thread about a great book that I think was unfortunately the product of unnecessary resto.

No conspiracy theory needed

Ummmmm. Didn't think I was implying any conspiracy. Hadn't even thought that. Instead I thought what I thought I expressed. That when you telegraph what you want and play up what you want as the most desirable, it usually ends up being more costly to you when you go for it.

Shoot, I guess the cover was blown off on this book. Just when I told myself that this year I would spend way less than I did in 2007, this book popped up on Heritage. I saw book probably a week or so ago before it had all its info. up and been eyeing it ever since. As you know, I plan on upgrading my Tec 29, and this book seems to be the right candidate... I guess let the bidding wars begin.. Besides, I think this would look good side by side with my Tec 31 CGC 7.5(P) :cloud9:

I thought you'd never ask :foryou:. Lemme know which book you would want in your collection (Tec 29 7.5 or 3.5) and I will gladly get the other or try to

I thought you'd never ask :foryou:. Lemme know which book you would want in your collection (Tec 29 7.5 or 3.5) and I will gladly get the other or try to

well, as mentioned, given that my 28 is restored, and my 31 is restored, no reason my 29 can't be!

assuming I "win" the 29 ...who knows outside of these boards, who will be bidding...but, I think Steve is correct that many will view the PLOD negatively, and open the door...my 29 will go!

Books like that, with minor restoration, make sense affordibility wise. Now, my question is....if you had a book that looked that nice, with a detached cover, would you send it to a pro to get reattached, or should the cycle of resto end here and now?

Books like that, with minor restoration, make sense affordibility wise. Now, my question is....if you had a book that looked that nice, with a detached cover, would you send it to a pro to get reattached, or should the cycle of resto end here and now?

Personally if I hada cover like that but detached, I would definitely send it in for reinforcement. No question about that. I really don't see reinforcement as a negative thing to do especially on a book of this magnitude. It only helps the book for years to come. The dreaded PLOD hasn't really affected my buying decisions on pre-robin tecs, or any other hard to find books for that matter. What I wouldn't buy though are books that are common that are restored, even major common key books. I mean these books are getting harder and harder to find as a lot of them are locked in collections and the upcoming Batman movie hype helps as well.

Personally if I hada cover like that but detached, I would definitely send it in for reinforcement. No question about that.

...one reason I started this thread ( aside from driving up the price of the book on Rick ;) ), was because I do not believe the cover on this VF- was detached......we are all "assuming" that to be the case, to justify the reinforcement...I am in another camp. I am in the "this book was fine, and someone still messed with it" camp. We will never really know unless we find out who the person is who owned the book prior to work done, obviosuly.

If I'm right ( and I usually am :grin: ), this VF- 's cover was attached, as is the case on most high grade books, and someone had work done to it because they couldn't just accept it for what it is....one of the nicest copies of this rarity to exist. I mean think about it....how many books have you seen in your lives that were VF- with a detached cover????.....probably about zero

I believe the book has support (rice paper) added at both staples...as ze-man and I were previously/privately discussing, this is what I was told about the book (long before this thread was ever started)...I guess a call monday to cgc should confirm :shrug:

here is my otherwise vf- GA book with detached cover (sorry steve, I could post at least 3 other examples of vf- or better books with detached covers, so it happens at least semi frequently)...if I added some reinforcement, I think it would get a 7.5 PLOD, but I choose to leave as a 3.0 blue, because the "value" of the book is less than the cost of the reinforcement...but, on a tec 29, I think the value of the book justifies, versus having damage occur to a loose or detached cover, that could happen from simply handling?

ww33.jpg

I believe the book has support (rice paper) added at both staples...as ze-man and I were previously/privately discussing, this is what I was told about the book (long before this thread was ever started)...I guess a call monday to cgc should confirm :shrug:

ahhhh...I see....so you are deep into doing your homework on this book, eh? hm

If I had known, I would have just called this thread " so Rick, what's up with the Tec 29 at Heritage? "

The dreaded PLOD hasn't really affected my buying decisions on pre-robin tecs, or any other hard to find books for that matter. What I wouldn't buy though are books that are common that are restored, even major common key books.

Yes, I would definitely agree with you here as even I am starting to have a cahnge of heart with respect to SP PLOD books.

I have always attempted to avoid restored books in the past, but for the past year or so, I have been picking up the odd PLOD book here and there. Certainly can't argue with picking up a nice looking early Fox #1 or early HTF Centaur books with SP work at a big discount to guide.

Especially when you almost always end up with a much nicer looking book relative to grade as CGC seems to go out of their way to severely downgrade the restored books relative to the unrestored books. A lot of nice looking SP PLOD books out there compared to some ugly looking higher graded blue label books. (shrug)

Like many have already stated before, the smart investors were picking up these books back about 5 years ago when nobody dared to touch a PLOD book. doh!

If I had known, I would have just called this thread " so Rick, what's up with the Tec 29 at Heritage? "

yeah, sorry...my tec 29 radar has been on high alert for a week now, and I believe this is the same copy I was offered last year for $10K but passed, since I already had 3 other restored tec 29's at the time :)

now, tell me more about the 28...is it better in person than the scans? inquiring minds want to know!

The dreaded PLOD hasn't really affected my buying decisions on pre-robin tecs, or any other hard to find books for that matter. What I wouldn't buy though are books that are common that are restored, even major common key books.

Yes, I would definitely agree with you here as even I am starting to have a cahnge of heart with respect to SP PLOD books.

I have always attempted to avoid restored books in the past, but for the past year or so, I have been picking up the odd PLOD book here and there. Certainly can't argue with picking up a nice looking early Fox #1 or early HTF Centaur books with SP work at a big discount to guide.

Especially when you almost always end up with a much nicer looking book relative to grade as CGC seems to go out of their way to severely downgrade the restored books relative to the unrestored books. A lot of nice looking SP PLOD books out there compared to some ugly looking higher graded blue label books. (shrug)

Like many have already stated before, the smart investors were picking up these books back about 5 years ago when nobody dared to touch a PLOD book. doh!

:applause:

yeah, sorry...my tec 29 radar has been on high alert for a week now, and I believe this is the same copy I was offered last year for $10K but passed, since I already had 3 other restored tec 29's at the time :)

now, tell me more about the 28...is it better in person than the scans? inquiring minds want to know!

Since I seem to be out of the loop......what Tec #28 are we talking about? (shrug)

Since I seem to be out of the loop......what Tec #28 are we talking about? (shrug)

go ahead steve, tell him lol

Personally if I hada cover like that but detached, I would definitely send it in for reinforcement. No question about that.

...one reason I started this thread ( aside from driving up the price of the book on Rick ;) ), was because I do not believe the cover on this VF- was detached......we are all "assuming" that to be the case, to justify the reinforcement...I am in another camp. I am in the "this book was fine, and someone still messed with it" camp. We will never really know unless we find out who the person is who owned the book prior to work done, obviosuly.

If I'm right ( and I usually am :grin: ), this VF- 's cover was attached, as is the case on most high grade books, and someone had work done to it because they couldn't just accept it for what it is....one of the nicest copies of this rarity to exist. I mean think about it....how many books have you seen in your lives that were VF- with a detached cover????.....probably about zero

here is my otherwise vf- GA book with detached cover (sorry steve, I could post at least 3 other examples of vf- or better books with detached covers, so it happens at least semi frequently)...if I added some reinforcement, I think it would get a 7.5 PLOD, but I choose to leave as a 3.0 blue, because the "value" of the book is less than the cost of the reinforcement...but, on a tec 29, I think the value of the book justifies, versus having damage occur to a loose or detached cover, that could happen from simply handling?

ww33.jpg

This is another example of a book that without the one piece of tape and a detached cover, would be at least a Fine +

Adventure32Raw.jpg