• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TEC 29! -- greatly "devalued" by unnecessary? restoration

104 posts in this topic

I remember when certain dealers would list a book like that with the notation: small piece of tape, cover detached, otherwise fine+. Another creative way I've seen them do it was: Fine+. but small piece of tape and detached cover. I just found another Archie 9 in my closet that if it weren't for the pieces missing, the detached cover, numerous tears, tape and tan pages would also be a fine+

I believe the book has support (rice paper) added at both staples...as ze-man and I were previously/privately discussing, this is what I was told about the book (long before this thread was ever started)...I guess a call monday to cgc should confirm :shrug:

ahhhh...I see....so you are deep into doing your homework on this book, eh? hm

If I had known, I would have just called this thread " so Rick, what's up with the Tec 29 at Heritage? "

yeah, sorry...my tec 29 radar has been on high alert for a week now, and I believe this is the same copy I was offered last year for $10K but passed, since I already had 3 other restored tec 29's at the time :)

now, tell me more about the 28...is it better in person than the scans? inquiring minds want to know!

Since I seem to be out of the loop......what Tec #28 are we talking about? (shrug)

go ahead steve, tell him lol

Yeah tell me Steve :sumo:

and, actually, the slight resto is very easily removed, and with "archival" tape to secure the cover, can be made to likely be in a blue label universal holder with notes of tape, and likely in the 3.0 to 3.5 range due to the cover reattachment...yet will still present GREAT

Archival tape *IS* restoration. Send a book to CGC with archival tape and it comes back in a purple holder with a slight "P" on the label, assuming nothing else was done to the book.

Shoot, I guess the cover was blown off on this book. Just when I told myself that this year I would spend way less than I did in 2007, this book popped up on Heritage. I saw book probably a week or so ago before it had all its info. up and been eyeing it ever since. As you know, I plan on upgrading my Tec 29, and this book seems to be the right candidate... I guess let the bidding wars begin.. Besides, I think this would look good side by side with my Tec 31 CGC 7.5(P) :cloud9:

wouldn't you like to buy my 3.5 tec 29 instead :wishluck:

I would :cool:

Adventure32Raw.jpg

While I really want to touch on several posts made in this thread.. I keep coming back to this book.. or rather this cover.

What a dynamic piece of work this is. From the cresting wave threatening to topple the raft, to the placement of feet seeking an advantage, and the glancing eye which all too well acknowledges the quickly changing environment. Oh, and it has shark fins too. :eek:

It is brilliant imho.

I just found another Archie 9 in my closet that if it weren't for the pieces missing, the detached cover, numerous tears, tape and tan pages would also be a fine+

No, the book you are describing isn't close to a fine +, Socratic's book is.

Try again.

:foryou:

and, actually, the slight resto is very easily removed, and with "archival" tape to secure the cover, can be made to likely be in a blue label universal holder with notes of tape, and likely in the 3.0 to 3.5 range due to the cover reattachment...yet will still present GREAT

Archival tape *IS* restoration. Send a book to CGC with archival tape and it comes back in a purple holder with a slight "P" on the label, assuming nothing else was done to the book.

interesting...every book I have sent to cgc with archival tape comes back blue with notes "piece of tape...."...never had an archival tape copy get a Plod? (shrug)

gator

now, tell me more about the 28...is it better in person than the scans? inquiring minds want to know!

Since I seem to be out of the loop......what Tec #28 are we talking about? (shrug)

go ahead steve, tell him lol

Yeah tell me Steve :sumo:

well....it looks EXACTLY like this copy...................except mine has a spine full of tape, the bottom corner at the spine is clipped off all the way thru the book, the cover has creases and tears, the interior pages have a few pieces of tape and are dark cream at the edges / cream overall.......and the spine has seen better days ( from what can be seen thru the 20 yards of tape, that is ).

Like I said.....practically identical to the one pictured here!

In all seriousness, I have a real dilema with my copy.....the tape has to be removed for both the long term preservation of this very rare book, and the fact that I can't stand books with tape! My ultimate goal for the book is: no tape, blue label with no graders notes.( it is presently raw ). I asked Matt Nelson about tape removal, and he said he has a great proccess but it requires disassembly, and he can't guarantee that CGC won't issue a PLOD for the disassembly....flip side of that is I keep hearing that CGC does not consider disassembly restoration. I have a small hand held, flat tip iron used by conservators for tape removal....but I don't want to do anything myself ( I am against amateur ( me ) book repair...especially on a rarity like the 2nd appearance of Batman! ).

Any advice you guys have is welcome.

Steve

50962-detective28after.jpg.e057b65730d5ec93f7eb7936723696b8.jpg

re: high grade books with detached covers, I have an otherwise fine copy of Action 58 in a slab with a 3.5 grade on it (detached cover), and looking at these other copies, the WW in particular, I have no idea how my book got a 3.5....

I have no problem with slight pro restored books at all, and will happily buy them at discount all day long. I do draw the line at pieces attached, though. That seems like it is taking restoration to another level; adding foreign pieces to the book. But color touch and tear seals I am fine with, provided they are worked into the price.

In the future, all these books will need some kind of work anyway, or they'll fall to dust.

re: high grade books with detached covers, I have an otherwise fine copy of Action 58 in a slab with a 3.5 grade on it (detached cover), and looking at these other copies, the WW in particular, I have no idea how my book got a 3.5....

I have no problem with slight pro restored books at all, and will happily buy them at discount all day long. I do draw the line at pieces attached, though. That seems like it is taking restoration to another level; adding foreign pieces to the book. But color touch and tear seals I am fine with, provided they are worked into the price.

In the future, all these books will need some kind of work anyway, or they'll fall to dust.

that was the basis for my "assumption" that this tec 29 would get a 3.0 or 3.5...I have not seen a detached cover GA book that looked fine or better get higher than a 3.5, so that must be a "grade ceiling" from cgc?

well....it looks EXACTLY like this copy...................except mine has a spine full of tape, the bottom corner at the spine is clipped off all the way thru the book, the cover has creases and tears, the interior pages have a few pieces of tape and are dark cream at the edges / cream overall.......and the spine has seen better days ( from what can be seen thru the 20 yards of tape, that is ).

Like I said.....practically identical to the one pictured here!

In all seriousness, I have a real dilema with my copy.....the tape has to be removed for both the long term preservation of this very rare book, and the fact that I can't stand books with tape! My ultimate goal for the book is: no tape, blue label with no graders notes.( it is presently raw ). I asked Matt Nelson about tape removal, and he said he has a great proccess but it requires disassembly, and he can't guarantee that CGC won't issue a PLOD for the disassembly....flip side of that is I keep hearing that CGC does not consider disassembly restoration. I have a small hand held, flat tip iron used by conservators for tape removal....but I don't want to do anything myself ( I am against amateur ( me ) book repair...especially on a rarity like the 2nd appearance of Batman! ).

Any advice you guys have is welcome.

Steve

Morning Steve, sounds like your book has a ton of tape, (post a scan please :foryou:) To me that infers the cover is badly torn or even completely split in places and somebody taped it to keep it together.(just guessing)

So if the tape was removed you would end up with a book that is basically in pieces, or about to fall apart.(without seeing the book its impossible to say at what level the damage is) Then you would have to decide if you can live with the book in that condition, or if you want to restore the book on some level. There is also the issue of how old the tape is, and what kind of tape stains they would leave behind.(cause if you hate tape, tape stains are the next worse thing) You "might" be able to lift the tape off with a tacking iron, but getting the adhesive residue off is the tricky/nasty part.

So if you are going to have the tape removed I think you should also have the tears sealed, and spine fixed while you are at it. It is an important book and worth fixing. I can appreciate why some people would rather see the book left alone, but imho, I would prefer a book that could at least be picked up and handled without fear of it falling apart in my hand.

Adventure32Raw.jpg

While I really want to touch on several posts made in this thread.. I keep coming back to this book.. or rather this cover.

What a dynamic piece of work this is. From the cresting wave threatening to topple the raft, to the placement of feet seeking an advantage, and the glancing eye which all too well acknowledges the quickly changing environment. Oh, and it has shark fins too. :eek:

It is brilliant imho.

ZE I agree 100%. This has been one of my favorite pre hero covers for some time now. I actually was lucky enough to find two unrestored copies in a matter of months. Both, unfortunately, presented beautifully but had detached covers. I keep this one because the other copy had rusty staples.

You really can't go wrong with a Flessel action cover :cloud9:

I saw this last week, and I plan on bidding "hard" for this book....I was hoping the PLOD would keep folks away, but since this board is also for discussion and education, I will reluctantly put some input in, that will probably raise the "desirability" of the book beyond my means :(

cover reinforcement was generally done because the cover had become detached from the book...so, in this case, it is likely some rice paper added at the staple area to resecure the cover to the interior....there is no mention of spine split seals, etc, so you just have to look at the book and say "wow"...

as steve mentioned, this book looks so nice, I want it!

so, my hopes of a "bargain" probably just went out the door (shrug)

gator

:hi:

I saw this last week, and I plan on bidding "hard" for this book....I was hoping the PLOD would keep folks away, but since this board is also for discussion and education, I will reluctantly put some input in, that will probably raise the "desirability" of the book beyond my means :(

cover reinforcement was generally done because the cover had become detached from the book...so, in this case, it is likely some rice paper added at the staple area to resecure the cover to the interior....there is no mention of spine split seals, etc, so you just have to look at the book and say "wow"...

as steve mentioned, this book looks so nice, I want it!

so, my hopes of a "bargain" probably just went out the door (shrug)

gator

:hi:

stay away big d, stay away, I saw it first lol

Has anyone ever got a plod, for archival tape alone? My next question is....why don't we know the answer to this .

when I asked cgc about tape last year, I was told they consider tape a "defect" not restoration...I assume that is still their position? (shrug)