• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do people do when the books they want are in private collections?

80 posts in this topic

lol

Interesting advice from one of the boardies who is holding some "key" books that I am after

:foryou:

:devil: More than you know.

:makepoint: I envision many Mile High books :)

Then you're thinking of someone else. Of the books in your sig line, I've only seen Church copies of the BBs and the Saint. No idea where any of the others are.

Pretty sure I have the right boardie :shy: at least when it comes to pedigree books, if not all Mile High's.

The books that I have in my sig line are the ones I envision have some chance of being for sale now or in the somewhat distant future...

I haven't listed the Mile High BB's in my sig line because I know who owns them (as I am sure you do too), and they are not for sale no matter the price as far as I understand it. I also haven't bothered to list some of your books in my sig line:

Mile High

JoJo11.jpg

Ohio

892039-PhantomLady18.jpg

or

Ghost2.jpg

to name a few :)

Those are pretty nice books. Any of them for sale? :popcorn:

Yes! I have heard a rumor that the owner has grown somewhat tired of the Phantom Lady #18. He wants to keep the Jo-Jo #11 and Ghost #2, at least for now, but because the PL18 is such a shabby old thing, he is looking to sell it for a huge profit

:devil:

I havew missed out on some books I really wanted because someone else wanted them more. For example a few years back Batman 68 8.0 was auction on CLINK. I lost out even though I bid triple guide. Six months later it was in another CLINK auction where I won it for just over guide. SOmetimes things work out for the best!

Glad to hear that things can work out a time or two batman_fan. :acclaim:

:gossip: Didn't knowing that you lost out originally just erk you until you had your good fortune though?

It definitely ate me up inside to miss out on it, especially when I consider what I sold to generate a lot of funds.

I have emailed a bunch of people with OA that I would love to buy and to date, no takers ...

I have emailed a bunch of people with OA that I would love to buy and to date, no takers ...

I can understand a resitance to want to sell OA even more so than a high grade comic. Of course, OA truly is one of a kind. It is a wonder that some of the OA I have seen survived throughout all of these years. Some of the prices I have seen it go far are really eye-opening.

I am wondering what other people do when the issues they are looking for are just not available and/or not for sale.

Breaking & entering works for me. :shy:

lol..

...I have actually been having nightmares of late about someone breaking into my place. They really do seem quite real. Currently looking into a safe deposit box. There was a past thread that I found interesting about deposit boxes.

I am wondering what other people do when the issues they are looking for are just not available and/or not for sale.

Breaking & entering works for me. :shy:

lol..

...I have actually been having nightmares of late about someone breaking into my place. They really do seem quite real. Currently looking into a safe deposit box. There was a past thread that I found interesting about deposit boxes.

Definitely a good idea. I have my top 20 in a safety deposit box, and am seriously considering getting a larger one for $175 a year to store another 60 to 70.

You need to find out who the "private collectors" are and try to strike up a dialogue with them, with one of the topics being that you would sure love to be considered if they should ever decide to sell this and that book. Many so-called permanent collections do move at some point, sometimes sooner than you expect.

I see so many collectors who think the only way to assemble a collection is to passively wait for stuff to come up on the market and then outbid everyone else for them when they do. Obviously you have to do that too, but the networking aspect is really overlooked. You have to network with the dealers and the big collectors, talk to them, cajole them, and most of all, let them know what you're looking for, so you're at the top of the list to be called or emailed when a book comes up.

Incriminating photos never hurt. hm

I've been wondering when to spring them on you. :gossip:

You need to find out who the "private collectors" are and try to strike up a dialogue with them, with one of the topics being that you would sure love to be considered if they should ever decide to sell this and that book. Many so-called permanent collections do move at some point, sometimes sooner than you expect.

I see so many collectors who think the only way to assemble a collection is to passively wait for stuff to come up on the market and then outbid everyone else for them when they do. Obviously you have to do that too, but the networking aspect is really overlooked. You have to network with the dealers and the big collectors, talk to them, cajole them, and most of all, let them know what you're looking for, so you're at the top of the list to be called or emailed when a book comes up.

Good advice! My bag is GGA, and I pretty much know who the owners are of a good portion of the books I want. I have corresponded with several of the private owners (three board members in particular), but in the majority of cases, the books are just not for sale, no matter what the offer. As you say though, networking is a good way to get the word out about what you are after...

Networking has lead to the acquisition of at least 2 high grade books in my collection. Here's hoping for more. :P

Thanks again for the advice!

What I've advised is not something for anyone needing instant gratification. As you say, a lot of these people have no plans to sell immediately, even if you throw huge amounts of cash their way. But, if you can ingratiate yourself with them, and let them know how much you want the book (and the fact that you'll pay crazy money never hurts), if and when they ever decide to sell (we could be talking years or decades), then hopefully you'll be the first one they call.

I've been able to get some very nice books from 3 different collectors who had no intention to sell, no intention to sell, no intention to sell, and then one day, they suddenly decided to sell (for wildly different reasons) and I was the first one they called.

Good advice! My bag is GGA, and I pretty much know who the owners are of a good portion of the books I want. I have corresponded with several of the private owners (three board members in particular), but in the majority of cases, the books are just not for sale, no matter what the offer. As you say though, networking is a good way to get the word out about what you are after...

Networking has lead to the acquisition of at least 2 high grade books in my collection. Here's hoping for more. :P

What I've advised is not something for anyone needing instant gratification. As you say, a lot of these people have no plans to sell immediately, even if you throw huge amounts of cash their way. But, if you can ingratiate yourself with them, and let them know how much you want the book (and the fact that you'll pay crazy money never hurts), if and when they ever decide to sell (we could be talking years or decades), then hopefully you'll be the first one they call.

I've been able to get some very nice books from 3 different collectors who had no intention to sell, no intention to sell, no intention to sell, and then one day, they suddenly decided to sell (for wildly different reasons) and I was the first one they called.

:gossip: It was the photos.

I find myself waiting for books to come up constantly!!! Usually without sucess!!!!

I, at times feel like I don't want to intrude on someone's privacy!!!

So I am probably too patient, and not getting books I want!!!!! :tonofbricks:

There is definitely a fine line between expressing enthusiastic interest and becoming pushy and intrusive. Be too passive and subtle, and the collector will never realize how genuinely interested you were. Be too pushy, and the guy will refuse to sell to you just out of dislike. The best is if you can actually strike up a friendship and talk regularly about different things, particularly any public sales of a book that you're interested in, as that gives you the best opportunity to drop reminders that you're still interested in his particular copy.

Often times I end up contacting people after they post a book I want on the boards. Even if it doesn't lead to a sale, it at least gives me something to "hope" for until usually hearing the inevitable "No".

I should add that it helps if you're good at handling rejection. When I hear "no", I just interpret it as "no, at this moment". No matter how emphatic they are. lol

:gossip: It was the photos.

I thought it was my winning personality. :sorry: