• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

75 cent Marvel Canadian Price Variants

70 posts in this topic

This will probably go unresponded to and may even end the thread, it being a PSA (Pov Serious Answer).

I am not sure how these would qualify as "variants". I see them along the line of the English pence copies: different price for a foreign country.

Note the US price slug states, for example, 60 cents - 75 cents in Canada. So those 75 cent books have always gone for 75 cents in Canada, be they a 60/75 cover price or a straight 75 cover price. There is no variant in the amount charged, unlike the 25/30, 30/35 type variants where different prices where used in the same market.

Are they cool? Sure. But so are pence copies. And they carry an un-premium.

I am not a GA collector, but don't the Canadian editions of GA books carry a premium?

Actually that varies. Some are more. Some seen as the same. Some less. Really depends on the particular book as far as GA goes.

My take is based on the term "Price Variant". I just don't see these as true price variants.

With regards to GA Canadian editions. I recently came into possession of a Captain America Comics 69 Canadian edition and so went on over to the GA forum to find out more about it. The general consensus (and this seems to be born out by GPA analysis) is that Canadian editions overall garner about 65% of the equivalent U.S edition. There are exeptions, of course. For example there are Canadian editions that have content that is distinct from any U.S. counterpart. Again with reference to Captain America, there is a Canadian edition cited in Overstreet of a 132 page unnumbered B&W issue that has the complete contents of Marvel Mystery 33 and Captain America18 and the cover of Captain America 22 which was only printed in Canada and is considered desirable, rare and therefore valuable.

This is old but this is not the case anymore in fact Canadian cover price variants go for about 50-200% more at this moment, form what i have seen.

I own a ton of these books, but the real scarce and rare ones are the 95 centers. people are noticing.

Older Overstreet Guides used to break down the differences between the American Newsstand, Foreign Newsstand and direct copies.They had nice close up graphics of the differences between the boxes. My old guides are thousands of miles away at my folks house so I can't provide a scan. Doug Sulipa has a lot of Canadian Variants. In Canada the versions with only the 75/89/95/1.25/1.35 covers were only available at newsstands. The three price ones were only sold in comic shops. All comics publishers had Canadian newsstand variants. On a personal note; I love to find those over the direct versions; as they are way rarer than the direct versions and they were what I bought off the newsstands as a kid. The tougher ones are the 95 cent cover Marvels; the 75 cent Whitmans and Charlton books. Archies are a little easier as they sold well in Canada. Have a complete set of the Whitman ones after years of searching high and low. Here are some examples.

140524.jpg.6d8c95cefb4762208bd2359821bd8c33.jpg

140525.jpg.76d3220a8b7fd4cc7b17f8597a51e1bb.jpg

140526.jpg.3c3a9197cc585c80756ea52070d61107.jpg

140535.jpg.f8e97162bed36645b4e9de310a89518e.jpg

140536.jpg.71dac4cbd9f3d3cef8859354b4b6a4ef.jpg

Older Overstreet Guides used to break down the differences between the American Newsstand, Foreign Newsstand and direct copies.They had nice close up graphics of the differences between the boxes. My old guides are thousands of miles away at my folks house so I can't provide a scan. Doug Sulipa has a lot of Canadian Variants. In Canada the versions with only the 75/89/95/1.25/1.35 covers were only available at newsstands. The three price ones were only sold in comic shops. All comics publishers had Canadian newsstand variants. On a personal note; I love to find those over the direct versions; as they are way rarer than the direct versions and they were what I bought off the newsstands as a kid. The tougher ones are the 95 cent cover Marvels; the 75 cent Whitmans and Charlton books. Archies are a little easier as they sold well in Canada. Have a complete set of the Whitman ones after years of searching high and low. Here are some examples.

Star comics :cloud9:

I own a few of these:

T2eC16VHJGkE9no8hZzzBQ4d1CcPUQ60_3.jpg

T%2335075Cvariant_zpsb625592b.jpg

T2eC16JykE9s7twCSeBQKnyRG2uQ60_3.jpg

KGrHqVpcFH57VsEyBQKr46g60_57.jpg

T2eC16hzEE9s3Z4OBQKnwVew60_3.jpg

You know those scans that look like a sub-crease and were scanned with a half-lit bulb?

Those are unfriendly's scans. Just thought it was hilarious because you posted about your experiences with him awhile ago. lol