• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why doesn't CGC employ an authentication service?

58 posts in this topic

I'm also a sports card collector, and the major grading companies employ authentication services for autographed cards.

Why doesn't CGC do this?

I understand that the company stance might be that they can only be sure that an autograph is legitimate if they are in person to view the autograph being taken place.

My question would be, are comic collectors and card collectors so different in how they would view a third party authentication service? Card collectors for the most part will pay high prices for cards that have been authenticated, and the verificiation process is for the most part considered fair and reliable.

The reason I think this authentication service for comics would be so useful, is because of all the signed limited editions that have to have qualifiers because no authentication service is employed.

I don't see how it would have a negative impact on CGC, because it wouldn't change their signature series line... if anything, it would be more profitable for CGC because I know, myself as a comic collector, I'm hesitant to submit a book that is signed because I don't want a qualifier label.

Why run the risk of encapsulating forgeries? (shrug)

That's like saying why run the risk of encapsulating restored books as unrestored. Actually I think the poster has a legitmate question.

It's not like saying that at all.

CGC needs to do a resto check to stay in business.

CGC doesn't need to verify signatures.

BTW - I never implied it wasn't a legit question. (shrug)

I'm only saying that the risk is there regardless...and shouldn't be the reason why CGC chooses to perform (or not perform) said service. I think of all of the signatures obtained before CGC and think it's a shame that they can't be included in on the SS stuff.

BTW, I personally think there's too much risk vs reward for CGC to consider this, but I think the question is a good one to ask.

i have a hand-full of books signed back in the 80's when i was a 15 year old "comic nerd" that i would love to get cgc graded...hulk 181..asm 129..ect....all nm+++..but would be GLOD...eck!!!...a signiture verification service like cards have would open the market up for books like mine...that sit in hells tomb in a white box afraid to see the light of day.....

i have a hand-full of books signed back in the 80's when i was a 15 year old "comic nerd" that i would love to get cgc graded...hulk 181..asm 129..ect....all nm+++..but would be GLOD...eck!!!...a signiture verification service like cards have would open the market up for books like mine...that sit in hells tomb in a white box afraid to see the light of day.....

If they are signed on the interior.....they wouldn't get a GLOD. If they are signed on the cover...you can choose to have them downgraded for the writing on the cover.

If they are signed on the interior.....they wouldn't get a GLOD. If they are signed on the cover...you can choose to have them downgraded for the writing on the cover.

Which is the problem right there - a legit signature on the cover should be a bonus, not a negative. I'd love to see CGC do the signature verification service like the original poster talks about - I, for one, thinks it's insane that items like a signed & sealed DF variant with a numbered COA end up with a GLOD.

thanks..but ive had the conversation with cgc as i send many books a month to them..i know the gig...i'm not going to down grade a 9.8 hulk 181 or asm 129 to a 8.5 cause i got it signed 20 years ago....some are cover signed..some are interior...either way...a defect.....so a 9.8 becomes a 9.0/9.2 with interior sig...8.5/8.0 with cover......i'll wait till cgc figures it out or i do first.....till then..they can sit in a dark closet....

really???then what does a 9.8 become with "wriiting on the first page"...? i have cgc books down graded because of this already..before i knew better.....i may be new to your boards..but i've been dealing with cgc for 5 years+

Then why not ask them what the deduction is? There are plenty of 9.8 blue label books with "name written on 1st page" notations.

i understand your point...i cant recall ever seeing a 9.8 with that notation....just from my perspective...if so..maybe it was a 9.9 before....fair question?if not..maybe cgc has changed their stand on the issue since the days i first sent books back when they got the old label that told of every piece of tape on the inside...hell...i send books in now with tape and stamps on the inside..and they dont even get noted on the label..i send books in for re-holder that the old labels say "3 pieces tape inside cover"...and i get a new holder and label with no word of tape anywhere...whats up with that????maybe i should have had them graded back in the "old label" days..and resub them now......

nice looking 9.8...looks to me like a 10....so....maybe 2 grades lower???remember..a 9.8 is 2 grades lower than a 10..as a 9.4 is 2 grades lower than a 9.8..cant forget the 9.9.....the .2 rule doesnt count inthe 9.8-10 range...big difference in price per .1.....see what i was saying..my 9.8 may be a 9.4 if sent in.....in hulk 181 thats like $4000 difference or more.....

i have a hand-full of books signed back in the 80's when i was a 15 year old "comic nerd" that i would love to get cgc graded...hulk 181..asm 129..ect....all nm+++..

Don't know that I've ever seen a "NM+++" book! lol Any chance of seeing scans? Maybe in the grading thread? :wishluck: