• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well Who canceled their ASM

88 posts in this topic

I used to be like "I have to buy it to continue my run" with a lot of different titles. I am currently only that way with Daredevil. Comic companies have it pretty good to know that there they will almost always have a core group of customers who will buy pretty much no matter what happens.

It would take a LOT to make me stop buying DD...

:blahblah: Like a broken with all of you, give it a rest. You act like this is the first time they've taken a literal dump on the character.

This "brand new day" is just an excuse to sell issues and it's working. Soon enough, give it a year at the most it'll return back to the way we know it. Notice how carefully they inform everyone that there's a chance they'll get back together (that would be the escape clause).

Honestly guys, between the Clone Saga, Sins Past, Peter unmasking, pretty much everything post 80's has been nothing of a fiasco and a full out assault on Peter Parker and THIS is what made you decide to drop the issue? Get over it. It's been known for months now they were planning to do this, don't get all in a huff because they decided to continue to ruin what was once the best character in the lineup.

Now, I'm not reading ASM, but Slott is easily one of the best writers working in comics today. I can't speak to what's happening in the book right now, but I would imagine he's got some surprises and interesting twists coming down the road at some point soon...

What's been the problem with the story to this point? (Feel free to spoil it, I won't be picking it up.)

I stopped buying Spidey not long after Bagley took over the book. (I really hate his Spider-Man)... picked up a few just before the clone saga and dropped it less than a year later...

And I dropped it again b/c I just felt like the stories were stupid and very contrived. I'm not angry or anything, but it was *work* to finish reading those issues of Back in Black. Plus I really kind of hate Aunt May, and it annoys me that Peter does all this just to keep the old hag alive.

I gave them two more issues (at $4!!) to get me back, but I just hated the way the characters were acting. It wasn't fun for me to read. Just finally gave up and decided to stop giving them chances. It was many many months for them to finally get to this point. It sucked waiting on the new issue of a book I used to like only to be disappointed time and time again.

So b/t that and now this idea that I'd have to buy THREE copies of it every month... just... no. If it was an awesome book with a meaningful story or something, 3x a month would be pretty cool. As is, I just don't care anymore, and it's not fun.

Besides, if Peter starts going out to bars and getting lots of play I'm going to be jealous. I don't need to be jealous of a comic book... :)

EDIT: It is a shame to miss Slott's stories, and it sucks he's off She-Hulk for this. His take on that character in that book was one of my favorite (at least of the less serious books) put out by Marvel. I did not, however, enjoy the FCBD issue that he wrote, so that helped push me toward dropping it as well.

As for what was wrong with the story... it just seemed like many many many many many pages filled with Peter whining and making stupid decisions all based on a reason I couldn't get behind. I liked a lot of what JMS did, but the swan song was just pathetic in my opinion.

Dropped ASM. That says a lot from a life-long Spidey collector who really likes Slott's writing. My almost-completed Amazing run will end with OMD. My money will be better spent filling in the holes of my collection.

I don't understand comments about how ASM will eventually go back to "the way they were before." What does that mean? Does that include the unmasking, Gwen's kids, organic webshooters, and characters not coming back from the dead? At what point in Peter Parker's history do we start over AGAIN?

The completist in me might be looking for this year's issues in back issue boxes at sometime in the future. But, I am voting with my dollar and Marvel won't be selling me any ASM for a while now.

I picked up ASM occasionally if I liked the look of it on the shelf.

I won't be picking up anymore for a long time.

Dropped ASM. That says a lot from a life-long Spidey collector who really likes Slott's writing. My almost-completed Amazing run will end with OMD. My money will be better spent filling in the holes of my collection.

I don't understand comments about how ASM will eventually go back to "the way they were before." What does that mean? Does that include the unmasking, Gwen's kids, organic webshooters, and characters not coming back from the dead? At what point in Peter Parker's history do we start over AGAIN?

The completist in me might be looking for this year's issues in back issue boxes at sometime in the future. But, I am voting with my dollar and Marvel won't be selling me any ASM for a while now.

You're like me I will be going back and picking this stuff up in the dollar bins so I don't have holes in my collection, I just won't be giving Marvel money directly for this.

Dumped it like a week-old fish during Clone II, haven't missed it. If I want to read some good Spidey I pull out the Ditkos and early Romitas, or the Hobgoblin stuff from the 200's and am content. Lots of good stories that they can't ruin. Now Fantastic Four, on the other hand, I' ve stuck with through some mighty lean times, but somehow they always reinvent and reinvorate. Or maybe I just like teams better than solo heroes, lol

That was an EXCEPTIONAL article.

All common sense points, why the hell isn't he EIC at Marvel????

I agree.

yep, he's got a fantastic view about how comics *should* be... I think he's doing a good job at Image tho. He just doesn't have that universal continuity thing to work with over there like he would at Marvel.

Savage Dragon's getting a bit better lately too... Sometimes I do wish he'd drop some of his other duties and just focus on SD.

But yeah, that was a good article. I've been missing One Fan's Opinion for a long time now. I was stoked to see it back.

Great article, and it gives me a new respect for him. Like myself, he is baffled at why they didn't just divorce Spidey and be done with it....clean, simple, easy, could be well-written and logical, and could allow them to proceed with the storylines they wanted all along. Sigh.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but I was over a newsrama and saw this cover for #549 Looks like a hidden message on Jackpots uniform. Like the face of MJ yelling ("GOD NO!!!! THIS SUCKS!!")

AmazingSpiderMan549VariantCover.jpg