• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well Who canceled their ASM

88 posts in this topic

Great article, and it gives me a new respect for him. Like myself, he is baffled at why they didn't just divorce Spidey and be done with it....clean, simple, easy, could be well-written and logical, and could allow them to proceed with the storylines they wanted all along. Sigh.

Agreed. Joe Q said he didn't want the mainstream media to do stories about a Spidey divorce..

So now the mainstream media (who aren't trying to make sense of a very convulted story) are doing stories about a MJ/Peter split AND a deal with the devil. Even Worse!

My only counterpoint to Eric Larsen is the status quo behind the marriage of Peter Parker and MJ. Maybe everyone in their 50's remembers a marriage free Peter but I've always read a storyline where he was married. I'm well over a quarter century old (30) and since my comic reading in 1989, I was invested into a Spidey marriage. The marriage never felt like a clutch to me because I never new him before the marriage.

Furthermore, why not cause other interesting tension like guys tempting MJ and hotties tempting Peter? When Eric said others tried I haven't really seen any serious attempt. Let's be honest here - the marriage was always background. If they want to bring it to the foreground they could of went a hundred different ways.

So I suppose were now trying to either save nostaglia for the 40 somethings or relate to the current non-buying teenagers? (shrug)

Well, I just picked up my comics from the LCS for the first time in like 2 months. So I got the last issue of OMD and the first three of BND.

It's a disaster. There are some hints in Pt4 of OMD that Spidey might not stay on this course longterm (ie more than a year or so.) But I certainly won't be reading as long as this garbage is being shoved down my throat.

I was REALLY going to give it a try but...

**spoiler**

When Harry Osborne shows up, I knew I couldn't. My favorite Spidey story, maybe all time is Spectacular 200 where Harry dies. It was perfect in just about every way (right down to the art.) So Harry's back (ugh), Pete and MJ obviously have problems (also ugh)....

And then I opened the first page of BND pt 2 and Peter is making out with some random girl (ugh)...

They ought to call it "The NY" or "Falcon York" or "Spider-Man 90210".

It's unreadable. I didn't even read the 3rd installment.

Sorry for the long rant but I've hesitated to comment because I didn't read any of the issues. But as impossible as I thought it would be-- this is more unreadable than the clone saga (which drove me out of comics entirely for about 5 years I guess? I've been collecting for about 2 again...)

I just can't believe what I'm reading. Trash. And that's not knee-jerk. It's just not the kind of story I'm looking for in a comic.

So my list of moderns I'm actively buying is down to:

On the bright side, more money for my GA pursuits, I guess. Hopefully they retcon this within a year or two. Otherwise I really won't be buying Spider-Man again. I held to it last time and I'll hold to it this time. Fix it or I won't buy it. Heck, I just started buying Spidey again after JMS came aboard. (So I can't blame him because he got me back into comics.)

I got back into AMS, after about an 8 year break when JMS starting writing the title.

I like, for the most part, his run. OMD was lame and a disappointing finale for him

(no thanks to Joe Q I'm sure). BND look promising and I am enjoying it so far.

DAN

I quit the series before this one with all the Back in Black stuff.

I am not one of those collectors that refuse to break their run no matter how dumb or pathetic the title gets. BTW Marvel loves you guys. So it wasnt hard for me to let go.

While Spidey isnt my favorite and I understand Marvel's decision to go forward with Spider-man it just isnt my cup of tea. Its just hard to swallow 20 years of continuity wiped out in any title for that matter. The new issue read okay. Nothing outstanding, yet nothing too controversially which is what Marvel wanted.

Even though they say its sold out nationally there are at least 40 copies sitting on my local comic shops shelves. They are not flying out here locally. I hope Marvel is expecting a rush of new collectors to the title. We need to chart the circulation numbers before and after OMD to see how it pans out.

I am not one of those collectors that refuse to break their run no matter how dumb or pathetic the title gets. BTW Marvel loves you guys.

Yep...I bet they're laughing their asses off. They can do whatever they want with the character with the knowledge the hardcore collectors, oh so fearful of gaps in their beloved runs, will follow along in lockstep through the *spoon*...

Jim

I stopped buying ASM at 546. The past few months have completely turned me off the character. I've actually stopped filling in my ASM run. This will be the first time in many many years that I'm not actively collecting ASM. Honestly, I don't know when, or if, I'll come back to it.

I can sympathize with the "gotta keep the run up" crowd. I was the same way with my FF run. Had an unbroken run from #39 to the present. But after JMS was announced for the book, and my great distain on his Gwen/Osborne storyline in ASM, I had to make the choice on whether to continue with the title or stop. After some thought, I realized FF hasn't been good, aside from the occasional story arc, for years and the only reason I was buying it was out of habit. I quit then and there and haven't looked back. And to be honest, I haven't missed the title at all since...

Jim

Lets face it "One More Day" was a big big piece of !

However.............I do believe JQs hit it on the head where he said Peter Parker can not be married to have the character grow and be fresh all the time. Since they got married the stories have been revolving way to much around MJ and to be honest if I wanted to have stories about boy/girl dating issues I can call my loser ex girlfriends. :censored:

To me besides the 9-11 issue the Romita and JMs run was ok, but nothing special.

Yes the whole Gwen Stacy clone was out there, and so was Spidy revealing himself as Peter Parker in Civil War.

I bought the the first two issues of "Brand New Day" and to be honest I really thought it was some of the best drawn and written issues I have seen from ASM in years. :golfclap:

I know people are annoyed because Marvel has just fixed the issues of bringing Harry Osborn back and saying that people remember Spidy unmasking but not remembering that is was PP.

I miss the old villians like Scorpion, Doc Ock, and a bad green goblin, so if this is what it takes for the old school foundations of this character to come back, well then so be it. rantrant

Give it a chance! and if not then by all mines go to DC where the most confusing stories ever written are published weekly! (ie Infinity)

I love reading where there are like 5 different superman's, green lantern's, and flashes on 100 different worlds fighting each other, what !!! Oh yea DC continuity is very profound indeed. doh!

I guess you are ranting because i did`nt say anything about switching to DC.

I think i and others here have given ASM plenty of chances,i gave it a chance during the gwen stacy twins, i gave it a chance during the unmasking and a few other bad ideas,chances over.

ASM =animal-smiley-4960.gif

I think i and others here have given ASM plenty of chances,i gave it a chance during the gwen stacy twins, i gave it a chance during the unmasking and a few other bad ideas,chances over.

Was not talking to you per say, just in general!

Well I am enjoying BND and I am with everyone saying that the Goblins Twins and OMD was a big piece of , but BND is actually really good.

Everyone who I have talked to that read BND actually liked it, so everyone who has canceled their ASM before actually reading the first BND I encourage you to go and read the first issue and then make your Decision.

John

Was not talking to you per say, just in general!

Well I am enjoying BND and I am with everyone saying that the Goblins Twins and OMD was a big piece of , but BND is actually really good.

Everyone who I have talked to that read BND actually liked it, so everyone who has canceled their ASM before actually reading the first BND I encourage you to go and read the first issue and then make your Decision.

John

I'm going to disagree here. I hate BND. I didn't stop reading this until after BND. So now you know one person.