• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead #50 and #51 - COVER ART!

105 posts in this topic

Thanks Steve (worship)

Looks like it's between 2500-3000 for the #1 1:75 and the 2-7 1:50 variants. That's actually less than I was thinking. Not incredibly rare, but enough to make uber high grade copies semi-scarce.

Exactly! (thumbs u

And the Erik Larsen/Ryan Ottley Variant cover to issue #50???? Interesting.... hm

walkingdead_50b.jpg

What the #@%& is that silliness about? rantrant

To be honest, the craziness of this cover is starting to grow on me. If you take it for what it is (pure fun), I like it. The superhero versions of Rick, Michonne, Tyrese, and the Guv are certainly silly, but I'm starting to really like it.

Like Doc said,it will still be a must have! Will probably have to drive to Lubbock to get a copy :P ,or Ebay.

And the Erik Larsen/Ryan Ottley Variant cover to issue #50???? Interesting.... hm

walkingdead_50b.jpg

What the #@%& is that silliness about? rantrant

To be honest, the craziness of this cover is starting to grow on me. If you take it for what it is (pure fun), I like it. The superhero versions of Rick, Michonne, Tyrese, and the Guv are certainly silly, but I'm starting to really like it.

Like Doc said,it will still be a must have! Will probably have to drive to Lubbock to get a copy :P ,or Ebay.

FYI

24 January, 2008 (Berkeley, CA) - In celebration of THE WALKING DEAD #50, Image Comics announced a limited 1-in-100 superhero variant cover featuring the art of SAVAGE DRAGON's Erik Larsen and INVINCIBLE's Ryan Ottley, but due to the unprecedented level of demand and retailer suggestions the cover will now be 1-in-25.

"My original intention was to make this a super-rare, limited thing, since the cover itself is so misleading as to what the book actually is. I didn't want people to be confused and think I'd changed the book drastically. Although, based off feedback I've decided to make it much more accessible," said Walking Dead writer Robert Kirkman. "I hope those readers and retailers

excited for the cover enjoy it as much as I do."

Since 2003, WALKING DEAD has chronicled the post-apocalyptic journey of Rick Grimes, his family and the other survivors they meet along the

way. Series artist Charlie Adlard has given the title a very distinct, bold sense of horror and adventure, but with this superhero cover Kirkman went with a very different approach by having Image Comics Publisher and SAVAGE DRAGON creator, Erik Larsen, team up with INVINCIBLE's Ryan Ottley to create a WALKING DEAD homage like none other.

Erik Larsen said, "When Robert told me the original idea, I thought it was crazy - which meant I had to be on board! The combination of my pencils with Ryan's inks created an art style far different from what either of us do solo. I'm really hoping we can work together again!"

WALKING DEAD #50 (FEB082109), a black & white comic book for $2.99, will be available on April 23rd, 2008. The Erik Larsen & Ryan Ottley superhero variant will be available as one for every twenty five copies ordered.

So Steve and George, with both of you trying to get the full collection of Walking Dead 9.8 or higher, will you both get the super hero variant?

I'm going for a full run myself (I'm in the tail end of the top 3 sets), but I really don't care about this variant. Yeah, it would be cool to hunt for it, etc...but the jury is out with me. This is too much of a gimmick for my tastes.

So Steve and George, with both of you trying to get the full collection of Walking Dead 9.8 or higher, will you both get the super hero variant?

I'm going for a full run myself (I'm in the tail end of the top 3 sets), but I really don't care about this variant. Yeah, it would be cool to hunt for it, etc...but the jury is out with me. This is too much of a gimmick for my tastes.

I just posted that it's now 25:1, no longer 100:1....

100:1 and 25:1 is HUGE difference... 25:1 is still difficult but nowhere close to 100:1 . IMO, they shouldve kept it 100:1 .. It wouldve been an extremely tough book to get compared to the rest of the series...

100:1 and 25:1 is HUGE difference... 25:1 is still difficult but nowhere close to 100:1 . IMO, they shouldve kept it 100:1 .. It wouldve been an extremely tough book to get compared to the rest of the series...

Yep, I actually wish they left it 1:100 since it's more of a novelty item....

Oh well, at least it will be easier to get in 9.8 with more copies out there (and probably quite a bit cheaper!) :grin:

I think everyone missed what I was trying to say. A bigger difference is my capacity to give a mess about this variant.

I think everyone missed what I was trying to say. A bigger difference is my capacity to give a mess about this variant.

lol I knew what you were trying to say, Sterling :foryou:

i'm glad to hear they are producing more of that erik larsen variant cover. i hate all that insanely rare . walking dead and detective comics are the only titles i buy everything of. 2nd prints, variants, etc. i wasn't gooing to spend $100 on that cover, so it would've been the one hole in my walking dead collection, and now it won't be.