• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with this piece of art????

19 posts in this topic

Okay, I just picked up a fantastic Gil Kane preliminary page from Amazing Spider-man #102. I absolutely love Gil Kane/ John Romita Spider-man art, and would have a hard time justifying the money which a page like this would cost. So here is my problem. Do I talk to John Romita about inking or finishing this piece. I am sure he would do it, if I offer a donation to ACTOR in his name. Am I destroying a piece of history, or would it be something cool to do... Looking for opinions...

a9c7_3.JPG

I would scan it...print a blue line copy onto art board and have him ink the blue line and then frame them side by side.

That way the original is preserved and you have a great original piece with that finished look.

C

I would scan it...print a blue line copy onto art board and have him ink the blue line and then frame them side by side.

That way the original is preserved and you have a great original piece with that finished look.

C

Exactly. You can always try to commission a finished piece lightboxed from a blueline or copy. DO NOT ink over the original prelim -- that's a great piece!!

If you keep the original intact and untouched and have a scan of it finished and inked it can make for an amazing presentation and will look good on the wall.

This was a recent pencil commission I got that I kept intact and had a blue line printed scan inked....

IvanReisComparison.jpg

Agreed. That way you don't lose the original in its original state. This is a great way around it.

If you keep the original intact and untouched and have a scan of it finished and inked it can make for an amazing presentation and will look good on the wall.

This was a recent pencil commission I got that I kept intact and had a blue line printed scan inked....

IvanReisComparison.jpg

When you did this, did you send a hard copy to the inker or just a high quality scan? I have some things I'd consider taking this approach with at some point. It's a great idea. :)

When you did this, did you send a hard copy to the inker or just a high quality scan? I have some things I'd consider taking this approach with at some point. It's a great idea. :)

I just did it in the last 3 weeks.

Depending on how tech savvy the artist you are dealing with is it can be really easy.

All I did was scan the image to 300dpi at 100% size and in grayscale and email it to the inker. He took the scan and changed it to blue lines in photoshop and then printed it onto 11x17 artboard so that it could be inked.

Obviously, this artist has a printer capable of printing onto full sized art board and the ability to work photoshop well enough to take a pencil scan and make it a blue line.

Worst case scenario is having to create your own blue line and mailing it to the artist. But even that is relatively low effort.

Best,

Chris

IvanReisComparison.jpg

I remember that artwork. Love it. Love it. Love it!

Depending on how tech savvy the artist you are dealing with is it can be really easy.

All I did was scan the image to 300dpi at 100% size and in grayscale and email it to the inker. He took the scan and changed it to blue lines in photoshop and then printed it onto 11x17 artboard so that it could be inked.

Obviously, this artist has a printer capable of printing onto full sized art board and the ability to work photoshop well enough to take a pencil scan and make it a blue line.

Worst case scenario is having to create your own blue line and mailing it to the artist. But even that is relatively low effort.

Best,

Chris

Yep. Another way to do that is, once the image is e-mailes to the artist (at at least 300 dpi)

the artist can have Officemax (I hope there is one by you, because these people

are good; at least by me), they can print it out on a 2 ply acid-free paper, that you would supply.

Sooooooooooo do not change or ink over that pre-lim. Do not trim it paste it or staple it to

any kind of surface. And store it between, or in a acid-free paper/container. I love that

page. It is one of my first comic books bought off the stand. :cloud9:

Best,

Chris

Thanks Chris :)

I think it's best to keep that piece intact. Preliminary artwork definitely has a market, especially from a classic period like that. If you want to see it finished, have someone lightbox it or work from a scan or blueline.

I think it's best to keep that piece intact. Preliminary artwork definitely has a market, especially from a classic period like that. If you want to see it finished, have someone lightbox it or work from a scan or blueline.

Agreed (thumbs u