• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will global recession affect comic valuations??

99 posts in this topic

I might buy some GA at half price :thumbsup:

In the spirit of togetherness, I might buy some X-Men. :foryou:

(tsk)
:sumo:
zzz
I bumped a thread in the WC that might interest you :gossip:

you and I know who the winner really is! :cloud9:

There are an awful lot of Boomers coming up on retirement, I expect that a fair number of collections and jus plain accumulations will be hitting the market in the next few years. I predict the bottom will fall out of prices on the fair to very good stuff, and as always the high grade goodies will continue to climb. Even if severe recession hits and folks are selling off to pay the mortgage the high end should maintain its value.

What does this mean for us lunatics?

Keep a pile of cash available and you can score some great deals!

(tsk)
zzz

Alba <3

(tsk)
zzz

Alba <3
:makepoint: biel

I agree with you on the high grade stuff, but only as it applies to GA and early SA material. High grade for post 1965 stuff will come down hard too; it's just not as scarce.

As for the recession, I think we are in for a really rough time. All the excesses from the real estate glut and the smoke and mirrors of an economy based on Joe American spending like a drunken sailor in Bangkok are coming home to roost.

:tonofbricks:

Why do I smell so minty fresh? Is it due to all of the High Grade Goodness which surrounds me? No. It is because I've been taking a bath in the market for about 3 weeks.

I personnally believe we are actually starting to see books getting sold off. I have seen several crash and burns on the boards. Look at PGCMINTs current Batman offering. Many of these were bought by who ever is selling them pretty recently. I am amazed at what is available on the market right now. I couls easily drop some serious money but I am holding cash and picking up selectively. My job is solid and the gross and net pay are pretty decent but you never know ...

Recession? What's a recession?

(I am in the oil and gas business after all)

Half price GA books? BRING 'EM ON! :acclaim:

When it comes to collectibles though, many times they seem to be bullet-proof as we are collectors by nature and collecting makes us feel good even when times are tough.

I am amazed at what is available on the market right now.

I agree. There seems to be lots of good material out there and available. Between the upcoming Comiclink, Heritage, and ComicConnect Auctions, it's a good time to be an active buyer.

I concur

When it comes to collectibles though, many times they seem to be bullet-proof as we are collectors by nature and collecting makes us feel good even when times are tough.

When this recession really takes hold, I don't think anything will be bulletproof. Everything goes down, or at the very least activity slows up.

I am in the camp that things are going to get pretty nasty out there. This global slowdown is going to be worse and last longer than people realize. Lots of global excesses that need to be washed away.

didn’t you guys hear? Bush is going to fix it all by throwing us all tax credits with the tons of money that this country has.

national dept? what national dept?

And best of all, Joe and Jill McDebtor probably won't even use the $$$ to pay off their bills.

Yes indeedy sir, the government will be gracious and give you some of your hard earned money back. Now go spend it on a PS3 or Wii or something else useful so that our economy can get back on track....

I'm personally very excited that we are entering a severe recession in an election year...think of all the wonderful acts of pandering the politicians will commit!

Why, they already want to bail out those fine Americans that can't do simple math or read a real estate contract, and now its tax rebates for everyone! What's next? FREE health insurance and a year of free eats at McDonalds...woo hoo!

:sarcasm off:

didn’t you guys hear? Bush is going to fix it all by throwing us all tax credits with the tons of money that this country has.

national dept? what national dept?

And best of all, Joe and Jill McDebtor probably won't even use the $$$ to pay off their bills.

Yes indeedy sir, the government will be gracious and give you some of your hard earned money back. Now go spend it on a PS3 or Wii or something else useful so that our economy can get back on track....

I'm personally very excited that we are entering a severe recession in an election year...think of all the wonderful acts of pandering the politicians will commit!

Why, they already want to bail out those fine Americans that can't do simple math or read a real estate contract, and now its tax rebates for everyone! What's next? FREE health insurance and a year of free eats at McDonalds...woo hoo!

:sarcasm off:

Where is the "sad but true" emotiocon?

150 B back...Thanks China!

Suddenly both political parties think tax cuts are ok. Isn't that curious.

& thats right, this money will be "wasted" if the people pay their mortgage or credit cards. It is meant for mindless consumerism. Is our entire country built upon consumerism? Production is over....

I heard one clown on tv say that we need this sorta thing each quarter....

This is the most bizarre world we live in. Saudi Arabia makes enough oil $ in 6 days to buy a company the size of GM!!

Why would the Radicals want to destroy us? They own us!! I'm not going to shred my Action 1 just because I prefer Marvel to DC...

BTW, we would never, ever choose a war with China. We can't afford it nor could we manufacture the necessary war machine. We don't have the production capacity. China has little need to spend money on a massive military (though she is ramping-up that now too just because she's gotta spend her cash somewhere!!). She just buys our debt and controls our production. So, rather than spend on guns and spill her own blood, China is a creditor nation and thus ensures survival while cashing-in. Hold a giant Note: now that is a brilliant Defense scheme.

Who here recalls Powell's weak kneeded approach to the capture of our airforce team by China back in Bush's first year in office? We are helpless --- bought and sold.

Unfortunately, this recession is just the type of diversion they need to get everyones mind off of health care reform, which is sorely needed in this country. The loss of good manufacturing jobs in this country and greedy corporations moving their factories overseas to employ children and slave labor, is indicitive of the rot in our country. I've tried to be as self sufficient as possible so as to weather this, but there are a lot of people who will be hurt. I hope I'm wrong. As far as comics being devalued? I hope they are, it cost ridiculous money to put a decent collection together.

The loss of good manufacturing jobs in this country and greedy corporations moving their factories overseas to employ children and slave labor, is indicitive of the rot in our country

The loss of 500K souls in the American Civil War 150 years ago didn't end the USA's love of slavery. We just outsourced it to IndoChina. We remain a slave State to this day. Most favored nation trading status to China was criminal, immoral, unethical, sinful --- you choose the word --- and inevitable.

Why do I smell so minty fresh? Is it due to all of the High Grade Goodness which surrounds me? No. It is because I've been taking a bath in the market for about 3 weeks.

lol Doh, I resemble that comment. :sorry: