• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will global recession affect comic valuations??

99 posts in this topic

well, from the recent turn, I have discovered that I need to get a lawn person, a pool person, and a housekeeper (taint got none of them)...I guess us poor old florida boys can't keep with the Cal folks :baiting:

well, from the recent turn, I have discovered that I need to get a lawn person, a pool person, and a housekeeper (taint got none of them)...I guess us poor old florida boys can't keep with the Cal folks :baiting:

Its poor old Florida crackers!! You should know better, from one Florida boy to another (tsk)lol

Its poor old Florida crackers!! You should know better, from one Florida boy to another (tsk)lol

some refer to us as Rednecks, too

I prefer banjo picking hillbillies

:jokealert:

The one thing I would say is these upcoming auctions are going to be good measures of the overall health of the comic book market. There is a lot of high quality and high dollar books going on the market in a short span. In addition, there is a lot of other items also available right now. As an example:

CLINK - nice runs of Action, 2 copies of Batman 1, pre-Batman Detectives plus some great Batman Detectives. Don't forget the OA, Several Ditko Spider-Man pages.

ComicConnect - Superman 1 Blue 4.5 among others

Hakes - not so much comics, but look at the movie posters, especially the Disney and Felix plus a ton of great comic related items

Heritage - Early Actions, Detective comics, I need to look at the art offering again.

Do collectors have the cash available to absorb all of this material right now? I know my bidding will be limited and very focused on specific books. I am certain the OA will be too high for me. I plan to watch a lot and if prices are on the low side grad some extras but I don't want to over extend

Do collectors have the cash available to absorb all of this material right now?

This is what will make prices drop -- a couple of bad auctions where good material goes untouched (reserve) or for a song (no reserve).

This is what will make prices drop -- a couple of bad auctions where good material goes untouched (reserve) or for a song (no reserve).

:wishluck:

(worship)

I prefer banjo picking hillbillies

:jokealert:

:roflmao:

You ain't lyin'...some of us 'po folks need some scraps from the BSD table too! :wishluck: :wishluck:

(worship)

Hey Bill! Didja see the mess I started here??!? :tonofbricks:doh!

(worship)

Hey Bill! Didja see the mess I started here??!? :tonofbricks:doh!

Sadly, yes. I was wondering what in the devil was Philly thinking? He doesn't post for a long time in the Gold thread, then comes in with this doozy. The irony is you love comics regardless of what they are worth. So global recession be damned.

Flooding the market with product does more harm than the economy to comic prices. I would be glad to see the big auction houses slow down, or at least have fewer mega sales. Makes things more challenging, more fun, and better investments (if that is your thing).

In answer to the original question, the people buying the mega books are not going to be afftected, hopefully some of the speculators will thin out a bit and the people who really love comics will be able to stick with it. In the overall scheme of things, how the comic book market is affected is small potatoes compared to someone losing their home, their job, their health care or their pension if the economy takes a serious downturn. Dealers might have to tighten their belts a bit, but the collectors who really love the books will stick around....I hope. I lot of the support business that have fed off the collector may have to tighten their belts a bit too.

What I was thinking is exactly what has occured in the global financial markets the last 2 days. The **** is hitting the fan, and everyone should have seen this coming...(in my humble opinion). On the bright side, maybe some of us poor slobs that don't have unlimited funds to buy any book we want will be able to snag some neat stuff on the cheap?!? :wishluck:

I think we will see some graded Moderns and Bronze books first from over-colateralized collectors on credit cards. Most people buying the expensive stuff (SA and GA) are using discretionary funds. But - - As the Curly so sagely stated: "we shall see...we shall se"

I think we will see some graded Moderns and Bronze books first from over-colateralized collectors on credit cards. Most people buying the expensive stuff (SA and GA) are using discretionary funds. But - - As the Curly so sagely stated: "we shall see...we shall se"

:banana: I can start adding more books to my bronze graded Batman collection.