• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man 128 Classic Boozing cover/ with movie out soon HOT book!

81 posts in this topic

Just wondering what the boaries are thinking on this book. I had the oppertunity to pick up a dozen or so copies lately and have been able to sell them very quickly at pretty good prices about 30.00 for a VF copy. I see this book hitting some multiples of guide and becoming extreamly hot in the next couple of months. What do you guys think? In the mean time I am holding the copies I have left in specutlation of a boom for this book and most Iron Man books shortly.

Paul

I agree that it has a lot of potential. Current guide value seems underpriced. This is probably the second best known cover of Iron Man's entire run (after #1), and has sufficient status and recognizability that it was rendered in 3D model form:

41o2DNVNjML._AA280_.jpg

(I think these statues are really cool by the way and I want one)

In addition, I've shown this comic to people who have ZERO interest in comics, and as soon as I say "this is the classic issue where Iron Man faces his alcoholism" they actually take an interest! The idea of a drunk superhero is so iconoclastic, it completely swats aside their usual reaction of "oh a child's comic about superheroes, gosh... zzz "

I agree that it has a lot of potential. Current guide value seems underpriced. This is probably the second best known cover of Iron Man's entire run (after #1),

Not too sure about the long-term potential for this book though as I believe there are probably a lot of this issue floating around out there.

When this issue first hit the newsstands, it was already very popular due to the story line and hoarded by most collectors at the time. I find it rather surprising that it would be difficult to locate a copy of this very common book in high grade. hm

I agree that it has a lot of potential. Current guide value seems underpriced. This is probably the second best known cover of Iron Man's entire run (after #1),

Not too sure about the long-term potential for this book though as I believe there are probably a lot of this issue floating around out there.

When this issue first hit the newsstands, it was already very popular due to the story line and hoarded by most collectors at the time. I find it rather surprising that it would be difficult to locate a copy of this very common book in high grade. hm

While I don't think they should be too difficult to find in high grade, I also don't think this book was hoarded to a large degree. I don't doubt that some people loaded up on it, but not to the degree of a Nova #1 or Eternals #1 (which I consider prime examples of hoarded books). I was buying multiples of most noteworthy books at the time (to the point of having extras of the Iron-Man/Sub-Mariner x-over a few issues before & the Iron-Man/Hulk battle a few issues after). It could still be found in the bargain bins as little as 5 years ago.

While I don't think they should be too difficult to find in high grade, I also don't think this book was hoarded to a large degree. I don't doubt that some people loaded up on it, but not to the degree of a Nova #1 or Eternals #1 (which I consider prime examples of hoarded books). I was buying multiples of most noteworthy books at the time (to the point of having extras of the Iron-Man/Sub-Mariner x-over a few issues before & the Iron-Man/Hulk battle a few issues after). It could still be found in the bargain bins as little as 5 years ago.

Interestingly enough, according to the census, there are only 46 copies slabbed, with 1 9.8, 11 9.6s, and 15 9.4s. I just got a 9.4 back, which probably isn't in the census, but that's not very many copies of a classic cover. :shrug:

(thumbs u

So, on the upswing, certainly outpacing the guide.

I just think the low guide price probably accounts for fewer submissions. If I had a 9.4 IM 128, I doubt I'd submit it myself....especially if there's a chance CGC would call it a 9.2 and I'd basically break even after fees, shipping etc. (Obviously, this is purely monetary reasoning, as I realize there are other reasons to submit & collect slabs.)

(thumbs u

So, on the upswing, certainly outpacing the guide.

I just think the low guide price probably accounts for fewer submissions. If I had a 9.4 IM 128, I doubt I'd submit it myself....especially if there's a chance CGC would call it a 9.2 and I'd basically break even after fees, shipping etc. (Obviously, this is purely monetary reasoning, as I realize there are other reasons to submit & collect slabs.)

But for purely monetary reasoning, it'll depend what you paid for the raw book. Let's say you bought it for $10...with slabbing fee and shipping, you're probably into the book now for $30-35. At that cost basis, I think you break even on a 9.0, and make money on anything higher. Note this is only if you intend to sell, and sell in a fairly short timeframe from now.

The days of this book being under a hundred bucks in 9.4 are over. In a few months it will be 150 and 9,6's will be very pricey. I don't think it's as plentiful as everyone thinks. Common, sure, just like every other krappy copper book, but hoarded by the thousands ala first issues or any X-men book.....I don't think so.

I can't wait to grade my copies and bend you guys over when I sell them.
I've already got many. Been scarfing them up the past 10 months.