• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 on Ebay, any comments from my Board member friends?

17 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-No-1-near-mint-9-4-Kirby-1962_W0QQitemZ130190909393QQihZ003QQcategoryZ32734QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just curious: if you owned this book would you submit it to get the grade then sell it, or would you sell it raw as this seller is doing.

What would you grade this at?

considering the color touch is disclosed, and there is water damage I am having a hard time grading this book ( especially from the scan ). The book does seem to present well, but with all I know I am having a hard time going any higher than a 5.0.

Thoughts?

It does present real well which is exactly what I am looking for in a Hulk 1, but 12K for this seems awfully high...

Artboy99

grading is way out, look at the ff5 9.0 they are selling

would struggle to get past 6.0

blazing bob has a couple of nice looking midgrade blue label hulk #1's in his ebay store which I would buy over this one 100% of the time.

a "NM 9.4" grade quote on a raw book, especially on eBay ( and a few dealers I know ), is the most abused term in our hobby. I would betcha' for every 1,000 raw eBay books sold as 9.4, MAYBE 5 or 6 would actually grade that way at CGC.

This Hulk #1 is part of the other 995.

Steve

With the spine ticks, water stain LLRC, and what looks like impact damage to the other lower corner, it may be a 7.0 at best, IMHO. But, at least the seller has included HUGE scans, so that there shouldn't be any nasty surprises for a buyer.

Just curious: if you owned this book would you submit it to get the grade then sell it, or would you sell it raw as this seller is doing.

If I owned this book and wanted to sell it as a slabbed Apparent 4.5, I'd get it graded. If I wanted to call it a 9.4, well, then I'd have to do exactly what this seller is doing.

Lots of amature CT, water, impact -- it lookss nice but would probably come back no more than a 5.5 PLOD. That staple you can see in the centerfold looks too shinny. And looking at the top staple on the spine picture the holes look too big. Those have been replaced.

Appreciate all the comments, 5.0 is what I graded this at so it sounds like we are all in agreement. I was considering offering the seller my best price, which is a mere fraction of 12,000.00.

I really do think after reading all of your comments I am far better off buying a graded book.

For all I know in addition to the color touch this thing has been trimmed to.

Artboy99

As already mentioned it looks like the staples have been replaced as well.

Looks to me like the seller disclosed the color touch in hopes of drawing potential buyers attention away from other issues this copy has.

To be honest....I'm surprised you would even consider sending money to a seller that calls that book NM.

As already mentioned it looks like the staples have been replaced as well.

Looks to me like the seller disclosed the color touch in hopes of drawing potential buyers attention away from other issues this copy has.

To be honest....I'm surprised you would even consider sending money to a seller that calls that book NM.

Well said.

Why is the 12c price indicator not fully visible? Is that the natural alignment of the book? If it is not, the tale about the colour touch is there only for misdirection. I have no idea why someone with a 9.4, even with a minor colour touch, would not have their book slabbed.

Why is the 12c price indicator not fully visible? Is that the natural alignment of the book? If it is not, the tale about the colour touch is there only for misdirection. I have no idea why someone with a 9.4, even with a minor colour touch, would not have their book slabbed.

Because is isn't a 9.4 (shrug) ...and he's relying on finding a buyer who doesn't know what one looks like either.

I think it's a fair enough assumption based on the raw status, and the pricing, and the overall commentry laid down, this guy knows he's pushing things considerably. It's just a shame that there is a fair likelihood some mendicant and his money will be parted over this 5.0 Hulk #1.

doh!