• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bye Bye Bug

104 posts in this topic

Nah! The HOBBY will be just fine. Maybe the investors will be obliterated, maybe hype will no longer be believed. But if anything, if there is a price dump, the plain old hobbyists will be on cloud9.gif because maybe they can buy what is near and dear to them for cheap, and carry on with their collections and their reading!

Who's with me? shy.gif

There's a fine line to walk there POV, and although I like depressed prices as much as the next guy, I wish these speculative bubbles didn't appear every decade. It does hurt a lot of people, including stores, dealers, collectors, etc.

But the boom/bust cycles seem to be a "force of nature" and like clockwork, we're right on target for the seemingly preordained 2004 meltdown. 893frustrated.gif

I don't want to see it obliterate the hobby in the mid-2000's as well...Who's with me??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah! The HOBBY will be just fine. Maybe the investors will be obliterated, maybe hype will no longer be believed. But if anything, if there is a price dump, the plain old hobbyists will be on cloud9.gif because maybe they can buy what is near and dear to them for cheap, and carry on with their collections and their reading!

Who's with me? shy.gif

Here here! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't want to see it obliterate the hobby in the mid-2000's as well...Who's with me??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who's with me? shy.gif

That's how I amassed my minty fresh Valiant collection!! cloud9.gif

Who's with me? shy.gif

There's a fine line to walk there POV, and although I like depressed prices as much as the next guy, I wish these speculative bubbles didn't appear every decade. It does hurt a lot of people, including stores, dealers, collectors, etc.

But the boom/bust cycles seem to be a "force of nature" and like clockwork, we're right on target for the seemingly preordained 2004 meltdown. 893frustrated.gif

OK - a serious question to you, Joe. Suppose there is a 2004 meltdown - as a precode horror collector, how do you see it impacting me? Or would it?

Speaking of Valiant and meltdowns, I was paging through an old OS Update from 1993-94, right when the Valiant bubble was getting ready to burst and I read a chilling comment in one of the Market Reports:

"Recently a new investor purchased the entire Valiant run from us, at over-guide prices."

Think about the $$$ involved in that prime "investment opportunity". 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

That's how I amassed my minty fresh Valiant collection!!

Smart man! I'm thinking now might be a good time to invest in Valiants as well, those 12-13-14 year old kids back in the early 90's are just about to finish paying off their college debt...which means big moolah available as mad-money over the next few years (at least until they have kids)!!

Smart man! I'm thinking now might be a good time to invest in Valiants as well, those 12-13-14 year old kids back in the early 90's are just about to finish paying off their college debt...which means big moolah available as mad-money over the next few years (at least until they have kids)!!

That's how I amassed my minty fresh Marvels! hi.gif

OK - a serious question to you, Joe. Suppose there is a 2004 meltdown - as a precode horror collector, how do you see it impacting me? Or would it?

Well, for one thing you won't be able to trade Ultimate Spidey #1's for precode horror books straight up anymore... insane.gif

Speaking of Valiant and meltdowns, I was paging through an old OS Update from 1993-94, right when the Valiant bubble was getting ready to burst and I read a chilling comment in one of the Market Reports:

"Recently a new investor purchased the entire Valiant run from us, at over-guide prices."

Think about the $$$ involved in that prime "investment opportunity". 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

About two and a half years ago, when I was just getting back in the hobby, comics4sale on ebay was selling full mint runs starting at 1 cent. I got about half the published titles for under $20. Then I raided every comic shop I could find for the variants, bought as many as I could find, and started to flip those for other variants that I needed. My first sale on ebay was a valiant, and all of my auctions originate from THE LOST LAND...

That's how I amassed my minty fresh Marvels! hi.gif

Yep, me too! Like I've been telling you guys since day one, you gotta buy when they're selling, and sell when they're buying! Tide comes in, tide goes out, books go up, books go down...timing is everything. Except when it comes to high grade Hulks, then I'm always buyin! thumbsup2.gif

Hey, I don't pretend to have all the answers, I only know where the trends are heading.

There WILL be a crash, and it's inevitable. The players all know this, but are unsure of when it will hit or what areas it will hammer the most, so are riding the tiger for as long as possible.

In the mid-80's the collectors knew that Independants would die, but the depth of the "unsellable drek" surprised more than a few. The same for the mid-90's; anyone with a brain knew the hype couldn't last, but some were still shocked to see Valiants go from Wizard covers to 50-cent boxes in very short order.

The depth these crashes hit the overall market also differed. The Independant Fad did affect overall buying, but by the late-80's Silver Marvel and DC comics were starting their upward spike (OS 1997 - ASM 50, 129, FF 48 = $10-$20). The mid-90's meltdown obliterated Valiant values, but left nothing unscathed, and even high-dollar books NM+ (selling for Guide multiples) were sold at Guide or lower because dealers were so hard hit.

So if you ask me if pre-Code horror will be affected, I'll say yes, but the level it gets hit is an open question. When hype fades and the rats leave a sinking ship, it becomes increasingly difficult to sell comics for market rates, no matter if it's Gold or Modern.

This time out, I see HG Bronze as the most open to heavy damage, along with the insanity of the Moderns like Ultimate Spider-man. Anything that has skyrocketed over the past 5 years is ripe for a serious correction. That's the way it's always been.

Yep, me too! Like I've been telling you guys since day one, you gotta buy when they're selling, and sell when they're buying!

Then why do you disagree with my "the people selling during the hype are the investors, and those buying at the sheep." comments?

We all know it's true, and it mirrors your above statement.

To be honest Joe I see a crash coming also...how hard it will be is the question....I think the resent Spidey 129 fans, and many others buying at top CGC prices are in for a shock. If I were PGCmint (MW), honestly... I'd be worried, but hey that's just my two cents.......

Bug's probably squirming with the fact that his "tribute" thread has turned into another "market crash" thread.

popcorn.gif

Good point...Let's get back to bug. His entertainment value will be missed for 30 days(unless you count the shill search). Here in the comic section bug was fairly easy going and funny. His actions in the watercooler weren't any worse than a couple of other guys(but even a staunch Rep. can get tired of the political arguements that never end).

JC no offense man but get a new tune. The first thread that I read here was probably a crash thread by you and your still on the same note. You've made your point.....I get it very clearly...selling prices will drop due to speculation, but I'm buying not selling(so hooray for me and others like me). I'll move along now to a new thread and let this continue to be a love em or hate em bugaboo place.