• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DanCurtis sealed comics packs

10 posts in this topic

I love sealed comic packs and pick them up when I can. I had never seen one of these before and grabbed it. It is from the early 70s I beleive and obviously was packed for halloweeen. Are they tuff to find unopened like this? Any one know? Any help is appreciated!

scan0043.jpg

scan0044-1.jpg

I had never seen them until 7 or 8 years ago, when I began noticing them with regularity on ebay. Don't know if they're a warehouse find, part of the Random House archives or what, but they don't appear rare. Obviously, they're all Gold Key titles

I think these were something special they dished up for Halloween during 1977 which is when these were released. I believe they are abridged stories from the acutal series...these were more like unique "one offs". I snagged a NM/MT copy for my RBION set...and will need one for my GFT and TZ sets eventually. I'm not sure if Western Publishing (publisher of these mini comics) and Gold Key are the same company or not...

I'm not sure if Western Publishing (publisher of these mini comics) and Gold Key are the same company or not...

Yes they were the same company. GK was their label for comics distributed through newsstands (they also published under the Dell banner). When Western started providing their comics directly to retail outlets in the 70s, they were labeled Whitman on the cover. The same comics that went through traditional distributor channels were still labeled as GK. That's why you can find the same issue with either logo in the back issue bins...

Jim

Thanks everyone for their insight!

These were listed by the seller as DAN CURTIS GIVEAWAYS

And I have seen the Dan Durtis Name on Similar mini Comics in the past. Any one know who Dan Curtis is or Was?

The only Dan Curtis connection I can think of is the Dan Curtis who produced Dark Shadows and did some other Gothic horror TV/movie stuff in the 70's. Were there any Dark Shadows mini-comics? If so, the Seller may have looked at the copyright notice (See on the other ones where it says "Cayuga" and "Western") saw © Dan Curtis and used that as the reference. Just a hunch.

--S.