• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help with my Mystic Comics #6 - Crazy Staple?????????

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering if the GA board experts could help me with this one. A while back I bought a Mystic 6 and Mystic 7...love the covers, but that is besides the point. Anyway, both books have CT in the upper left corners...on Mystic #6... there are two tiny touches where there was some kind of wider additional staple that went through the cover and some of the interior pages. It was neatly removed well prior to my buying it and the two "dots" of color touch added to where the two staple holes are. My #7 also has this, but more CT on that book in the top corner (black cover), but in looking at a thread also in the GA section it appears that this extra staple in the top left corner appears to be found from time to time...or is common???

What gives with the staple thing...anyone know why some GA books have this...I posted the book in the Please Grade My.....blah, blah, blah....but I am wondering if I should look at getting the CT removed or should I just leave it on a book like this. I assume this would get me a dreaded purple label. No rush, no plans to sell it...but just wondering and I was planning on getting it slabbed at some point... any comments would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

scan10011ss4.jpg

With your book, it appears to be one of those that that had something stapled to the cover (like a note, ledger page, etc.). I have another Timely (Marvel Mystery 16) just like that, and thank goodness it is unrestored (I picked it up from MrBedrock :banana: )

I've seen maybe a dozen other books with similar extra staple holes through the cover and a few pages, so it does happen.

Just curious, did you purchase both books as restored? (yes, you're talking purple label).

There are a large number of Timelys with the large industrial size staple holes in the upper left. John Verzyl told me that these were some type of file or reference copies and that a receipt with issue information was attached. I have never seen one of the receipts but I have bought many of the books over the years, some restored and some not. I have no idea who did the work. The first I ever saw was a Marvel 34 that I bought out of one of Gerber's CBG auctions in 1983. It was restored, but man what a beauty. I also bought a non-restored Young Allies 3 at San Diego around the same time.

Not sure about other GA books, but Marvel Mystery #5 commonly has 3 staples---including my personal copy. The staples were definitely put in on purpose by the manufacturer.
Many of mine only have 1 in the center.

Not sure about other GA books, but Marvel Mystery #5 commonly has 3 staples---including my personal copy. The staples were definitely put in on purpose by the manufacturer.
Many of mine only have 1 in the center.

That was typical after America entered WWII (post Pearl Harbor, 12-07-41), as in an effort to cut supplies here and use precious metals towards the war efforts---comics went from two staples (or three in some cases) to the single staple.

The staple that Earthbornpig is asking about is definitely an aftermarket addition. It went through the book from front to back at the top left along the spine. I would guess that when the collection was found someone (the buyer?) went through and removed that added staple and whatever it was attaching. Someone has or knows of the receipts that were stapled on.