• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World LA 2008 any one going?

35 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I wil be attending Wizard World LA on the Saturday of the weekend, and after going to last years WW 2007 and having been to every WW except Texas, I was wondering if anyone feels the same as I do about this year's con.

Does anyone feel that?

1) The guests are lame this year

2) The Hulk Exclusive comic is terrible, because it an old cover from 2 years ago just with a red hulk instead of the green or gray hulk Turner cover.

3) You are getting tired of seeing the same B level loser actors that keep coming to the shows, like Lou Ferigno and The wrestler Virgil.

I am from Philly originally before I moved to San Diego and out of all the WW shows the LA show by far was the least crowded, I mean all the good dealers will be there off course, but the show itself does not seem to have the electric feel to it as WW Chicago or Philly. Just wondering if anyone feels the same?

John

PS Thank god the NY comic con is the month after this show!!

I have no problems with Wizard World LA. I like visiting Los Angeles, and the Wizard shows are usually very busy for me (even the ones with lighter attendance of which Dallas is probably the lowest, attendance-wise), and there's nothing wrong with the guests. Lots of people excited about Joe Mad in particular.

Never quite understood how a show having lighter attendance is a negative for an attendee though... less competition helps make for easier access to what you might want to see and/or do at a show.

I have no problems with Wizard World LA. I like visiting Los Angeles, and the Wizard shows are usually very busy for me (even the ones with lighter attendance of which Dallas is probably the lowest, attendance-wise), and there's nothing wrong with the guests. Lots of people excited about Joe Mad in particular.

Never quite understood how a show having lighter attendance is a negative for an attendee though... less competition helps make for easier access to what you might want to see and/or do at a show.

I just have been to so many WW over the years and I just feel they just have the same guests over and over again.

I'll be there. The on-site grading and the restoration detection seminar sealed the deal for me.

This will be my 3rd year in a row attending WWLA. The guest list is a bit light and does have a Wizard World sameness to it. Hopefully they add more names soon.

However, as Kevin pointed out, the light crowds make for a more enjoyable experience. There is plenty of elbow room and I find myself going through lots of long boxes. I usually get pretty good deals too because business seems to be slow for most of the dealers there.

Forum dinner?

Hey Everyone,

I wil be attending Wizard World LA on the Saturday of the weekend, and after going to last years WW 2007 and having been to every WW except Texas, I was wondering if anyone feels the same as I do about this year's con.

Does anyone feel that?

2) The Hulk Exclusive comic is terrible, because it an old cover from 2 years ago just with a red hulk instead of the green or gray hulk Turner cover.

3) You are getting tired of seeing the same B level loser actors that keep coming to the shows, like Lou Ferigno and The wrestler Virgil.

I am from Philly originally before I moved to San Diego and out of all the WW shows the LA show by far was the least crowded, I mean all the good dealers will be there off course, but the show itself does not seem to have the electric feel to it as WW Chicago or Philly. Just wondering if anyone feels the same?

John

I agree on all 3 points.

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone feel that?

John

I agree on all 3 points.

THANK YOU!!

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone feel that?

John

I agree on all 3 points.

THANK YOU!!

I've been going for around 4 years and thats the way I've felt for a while.

It's always been my favorite LA comic show.

Thats not hard because its really the only big one LA has.

Its an ok show, just out of all the WW shows in my opinion, LA is the worst.

Actually, the Dallas Wizard show is the worst, by far!

And Wizard Philly isn't much better than LA.

I find it a little amusing that anyone would complain about the quality of the LA show. Certainly, it could be better. All of them could be better, even San Diego.

But I got to tell you that just about any show in the country is better than what we have here in Houston. Nothing against Sonofpromotorman, but I have been to garage sales that are better than his Houston shows.

If there ever comes a day where my calendar has a conflict and I have to choose between a Houston comic show and one put on by the Taliban in Afghanistan I will strongly consider making travel arrangements.

I find it a little amusing that anyone would complain about the quality of the LA show. Certainly, it could be better. All of them could be better, even San Diego.

But I got to tell you that just about any show in the country is better than what we have here in Houston. Nothing against Sonofpromotorman, but I have been to garage sales that are better than his Houston shows.

If there ever comes a day where my calendar has a conflict and I have to choose between a Houston comic show and one put on by the Taliban in Afghanistan I will strongly consider making travel arrangements.

I would have to disagree since I have been to both WW Philly and WW LA, I would have to make an observation that WW Philly is twice as packed with people than LA, and has a more electric feeling to it. To me Philly is one of the best shows in the country every year for buying and selling.

WW LA didnt seem to have the drive and audience like the WW shows. Alot of big named dealers that I have talked to say the same thing about the WW LA show.

I think WW Philly also benefits from being obvouisly a big city with a good comic draw to it, but you also have the whole tri-state dealers coming in and buyers as well.

Since I have never been to WW Texas, I guess I will have to take your word for it, and since you are from TX so I am sure you know better than me Mr. Bedrock.

But I also might be a little biased because I am from Philly, lol!!

GOOD DISCUSSION!!!

R u setting up at the con as a dealer?

I would have to disagree since I have been to both WW Philly and WW LA, I would have to make an observation that WW Philly is twice as packed with people than LA, and has a more electric feeling to it. To me Philly is one of the best shows in the country every year for buying and selling.

WW LA didnt seem to have the drive and audience like the WW shows. Alot of big named dealers that I have talked to say the same thing about the WW LA show.

I think WW Philly also benefits from being obvouisly a big city with a good comic draw to it, but you also have the whole tri-state dealers coming in and buyers as well.

Since I have never been to WW Texas, I guess I will have to take your word for it, and since you are from TX so I am sure you know better than me Mr. Bedrock.

GOOD DISCUSSION!!!

I will be setting up in LA, as I have since Wizard started the show (in Long Beach).

I used to set up in Philly as well. Great place to go to a show. And I love the whole "How you doin'?" vibe. But my sales were never very good there.

The first two years I bought a :censored:load of stuff. But that trickled off. The last time I set up there (2004) was very disappointing.

GOOD DISCUSSION!!!

I will be setting up in LA, as I have since Wizard started the show (in Long Beach).

I used to set up in Philly as well. Great place to go to a show. And I love the whole "How you doin'?" vibe. But my sales were never very good there.

The first two years I bought a :censored:load of stuff. But that trickled off. The last time I set up there (2004) was very disappointing.

LBC.

Represent!

:sorry: