• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question

8 posts in this topic

I received this e-mail today and was wondering what you would do?

I read all the time here that it devalues the artwork to post too many pictures of it, but I already have it posted in my CAF gallery.

It looks like a nice site. Would you let them post the image?

Chris

Thundercats: The Return #1

Email: he-fan@thundercatslair.org

Comments: Hi Chris, I very much hope you don't mind me getting in touch with you. My name is Chris, and together with several friends I'm involved in creating and maintaining one of the newest and largest websites on the Internet devoted to the 1980s property ThunderCats. All of us have pooled our knowledge and talents in the hopes of creating one of the most comprehensive ThunderCats websites around, with information on the cartoon, toyline and, the area I'm in charge of, the comics. The website address is www.thundercatslair.org. :) I notice that you have showcased on www.comicartfans.com a beautiful two-page spread of interior artwork from the mini-series ThunderCats: The Return published by DC/Wildstorm. Just over a year ago at www.thundercatslair.org we launched our ThunderCats Original Comic Art Gallery, which features scans of over 100 pages of ThunderCats original comic art generously donated by original comic art collectors, dealers, and even the artists themselves! The full gallery can be viewed here: www.thundercatslair.org/comics/gallery/gallery_index.html . :) I was wondering whether you would be willing to allow us to host a scan of the page you have as part of our website? Be aware that we are happy to watermark images to prevent image theft (or leave them un-watermarked if you prefer), would always seek to credit the owner of any pieces of artwork that we display, and would also be more than happy to feature a prominant link to your website or gallery page on our site by way of acknowledgement of any contribution you felt able to make. :) In closing, on behalf of myself and everyone at www.thundercatslair.org can I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time and trouble to read this message, and extend my very best wishes to you and wish you the best of luck with your collecting! :) Best wishes, Chris (on behalf of www.thundercatslair.org)

This email has been sent to you from someone visiting www.comicartfans.com. Your email address remains confidential, and is not shown to other Gallery Owners or Site Visitors.

© 2002-2007 ComicArtFans.com, All rights reserved.

I read all the time here that it devalues the artwork to post too many pictures of it, but I already have it posted in my CAF gallery.

It looks like a nice site. Would you let them post the image?

Chris

If you believe that line of thinking.

If the image is on CAF who knows how many times it has been saved to a computer to be used later on somewhere else. He was nice enough to ask when he didn't have to. I'd let him use it. He can put a line of "From the Chris ____ Collection, Here's the link" someplace.

OR

You can take down your CAF and hide your collection away in your closet.

And as Tatterdemalion said, if it is a site I liked (thumbs u

Mike

IMO - posting images doesn't devalue your art. (If anything, the more people who see it - the more potential people who might want it.)

What drives the perceived value down is posting a page for sale (say for $1000) and letting it sit there and sit there and sit there and sit there ... people think that since it's not selling, it's not worth the price.

I say if you like the site, let them post your art and link back to your collection.

Personally, I think it will only increase the value of your art. People who think otherwise and thus hoard their art are lame.

One of the ways the IRS differentiates between an art collector and an art investor is what they do with the art. If someone loans art to muesums and such they are considered investors as they are (in the eyes of the IRS) creating value. The more people who see the art the better. If someone enjoys the art privately they are considered collectors. An investor can deduct certain expenses and unless they are in the business of selling art they will be taxed at the capital gain rate. The collector can't deduct expenses but still enjoys being taxed at the capital gain rate. An art dealer, however, is taxed as ordinary income which is of course much higher.

An interesting side note is that the IRS will let you trade art to avoid /delay paying taxes. For example, if you bought a Picasso 20 years ago for $100 and today it is worth $1 million. Heck, if you sold it imagine the taxes. If there was a painting you wanted to buy that was a million dollars you can trade your Picasso and avoid paying any taxes. However, when you sell your new painting you will be taxed at your original cost ($100) so eventually the IRS gets you.

Bottom line, if the IRS thinks by showing off your art you are creating value then it is safe to assume you will not be devaluing your art by lending out a few pics. Go for it!

I would be flattered if someone asked that for any piece in my collection and I would let them do it. As others have said, it does depend on whether or not you like the site.

Malvin

I agree completely. I'd take this as a huge compliment and just ask that they add the "from the collection of.." disclaimer.