• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Grading" By Chuck

82 posts in this topic

He forgot to mention banning people who complain... :insane:

Might be his best "What If" e-mail yet... doh!

My final topic for today is the subject of grading. It may not have occurred to you, but when I make a public appearance at a convention almost every weekend, I make myself a really big target for potential criticism. We ship tens of thousands of orders every year, and it is almost inevitable that not every order will go smoothly. That having been said, our goal (which I personally have set) is to provide the very best grading and customer service in the entire comics industry. We seek first to absolutely minimize grading errors by grading all comics with very expensive high intensity full spectrum lamps that we especially import from Canada for this one critical purpose, and then if we do make an error, we fix it immediately at OUR cost. After all, with the price difference between grades being nearly double in many instances, the poor grading that I see manifested by more than a few on-line comics dealers that I know can result in your being substantially misled as to the actual cost of the comics that you are purchasing. Simply put, I promise you that will never happen at Mile High Comics. Even though I have to reject over half of the comics that I'm offered by other dealers at conventions due to misgrading, I will never lower our standards. While it may take me longer to find books that I can purchase from other dealers due to our meticulous grading standards, that extra effort really pays off for me when I hear repeatedly from our clients about how pleased they are with our grading. I've personally heard not one single murmur of discontent about our grading during the entire past year, which considering how many public appearances I've made during that time, is really rather incredible!

Jim

when Chuck still had his Anaheim store I would go in and check out his crop of comics.I would talk to him often.His prices always seem to be high for the grades the books were.That is he would always over grade and over price his books.I asked him why? His response was" because he has those hard to find books that no one can get anywhere else" I thought well O.K. I understand maybe a hard to find gold or silver age book but why is an Amazing Spider-man #350 $20.00 and not even in near mint,which by the way is a 3.00 comic.Every book is priced 10 times the actual value of the book.I just don't understand how he can get away with it.

I love it. Chuck is importing full spectrum lamps to ensure his peyote crop is healthy 12 months of the year. Best bud is from BC, Canada for his pot collection.

Or using MH as a tax writeoff for his farm... hm

Jim

very expensive high intensity full spectrum lamps that we especially import from Canada

My sides hurt from laughing so hard. Seriously. :roflmao:

Seriously, officer...the lights are for grading comics. :)

And those are collectible water bo**...err...antique pottery. :)

Seriously! :)

So is Canada famous for lamps now?...

I thought it was trees,snow & Greggy hm

Its obvious Chuckie has been reading the Boards of late for him to come out and make a statement like this...after all he has been getting lots of stick about his grading prowess around here in the last few weeks...

Chuckie lol ..you gotta love him..poor deluded, pottery loving hypochondriac that he is :insane:

My final topic for today is the subject of grading. It may not have occurred to you, but when I make a public appearance at a convention almost every weekend, I make myself a really big target for potential criticism. We ship tens of thousands of orders every year, and it is almost inevitable that not every order will go smoothly. That having been said, our goal (which I personally have set) is to provide the very best grading and customer service in the entire comics industry. We seek first to absolutely minimize grading errors by grading all comics with very expensive high intensity full spectrum lamps that we especially import from Canada for this one critical purpose, and then if we do make an error, we fix it immediately at OUR cost. After all, with the price difference between grades being nearly double in many instances, the poor grading that I see manifested by more than a few on-line comics dealers that I know can result in your being substantially misled as to the actual cost of the comics that you are purchasing. Simply put, I promise you that will never happen at Mile High Comics. Even though I have to reject over half of the comics that I'm offered by other dealers at conventions due to misgrading, I will never lower our standards. While it may take me longer to find books that I can purchase from other dealers due to our meticulous grading standards, that extra effort really pays off for me when I hear repeatedly from our clients about how pleased they are with our grading. I've personally heard not one single murmur of discontent about our grading during the entire past year, which considering how many public appearances I've made during that time, is really rather incredible!

Astounding hubris. I just can't believe he wrote that and meant it. Positively Orwellian...

Astounding hubris. I just can't believe he wrote that and meant it. Positively Orwellian...

I'd love to hear who these on-line dealers are that he refers to...

Jim