• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do with the books you buy?

49 posts in this topic

Usually I receive my purchases in work, so the first thing I do is show it/them to some who are interested. Then I open it at work and examine for integrity - page count, resto etc. (have a nice loupe and good lighting here.)

When I get it home I examine further and then settle back and read it. After being accepted I add it to my spreadsheet - knocking one or more books off of my pre-code checklist. If it is a grail or a particularly nice one, I scan and post it on the boards. Next it goes into a new mylar with a new buffered backing board, to be taken out on ocassion and re-read.

When I get it home I examine further and then settle back and read it. After being accepted I add it to my spreadsheet - knocking one or more books off of my pre-code checklist. If it is a grail or a particularly nice one, I scan and post it on the boards. Next it goes into a new mylar with a new buffered backing board, to be taken out on ocassion and re-read.

With the exception of posting scans to the boards, this is pretty close to my situation as well, though my purchases are all over the GA/SA map. I do read many of them, often with my daughter (if they're Barks duck books or certain SA Marvel titles that she likes). Part of the satisfaction definitely derives from knocking more books off my want lists - but again, those want lists are more or less inexhaustible, from Uncle Scrooge and Little Lulu to ASM and Daredevil...

Usually I receive my purchases in work, so the first thing I do is show it/them to some who are interested. Then I open it at work and examine for integrity - page count, resto etc. (have a nice loupe and good lighting here.)

I buy a wide range of books, but this is almost exactly what I do with new (old) books.

The weekly new stuff goes in a bag, gets added to a spreadsheet and then read in the next few days.

Pov, I can' tell you how cool it is that your coworkers enjoy seeing your purchases. One of the senior guys in the group that sits next to us had a very impressive basketball card collection and even had a few beer cans that he sold to a dealer. I am trying to get him to come with me to the Heritage April auction in NYC as the Warwick is literally 2 blocks from the office. Other than that people know that I am into it, but don't really care.

One of these days when I get a bigger apartment I am going to get a scanner so I can scan my books in too. Good idea! smile.gif

DAM

Most people at my work think that I'm a nut for being into comics... so it's highly unusual to find someone that thinks that comics are even remotely cool here... I usually have to tell them that comics as a collectible are worth something to pique their interest.

Most people at my work think that I'm a nut for being into comics... so it's highly unusual to find someone that thinks that comics are even remotely cool here... I usually have to tell them that comics as a collectible are worth something to pique their interest.

That's one thing that I have going for me - the senior guy that I work with actually sold his basketball card collection for $40K in 1990. Yup, that's not a typo.

He's a really cool guy who I even got to read Matt Nelson's definitive work on the pedigree! Everyone else respects it to some degree because a lot of them watch smallville and even those who don't all thought that Spider-man was a cool movie not to mention X2 and LXG.

DAM

I have a stack of books on my nightstand the I want to read, about 20 comics and tpb. I have a long box on my side of my bed where I keep most of the new stuff and con and ebay purchases. I read them and them move them into more permanent storage downstairs. I hate to put books I haven't read yet down in the "shelves" because I know the odds are good that I won't end up reading them. When the long box or the stack on my night stand get low I pull up more stuff I want to read for downstairs, but that is rare as I always seem to be behind on what I want to read...plus all the new stuff coming in... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Most people at my work think that I'm a nut for being into comics...

Well, the same happend to me, in the work and with my family, I'm 27 years old and all of them tell me: grow up, stop wasting money in comics or at least buy comic in Spanish that way your little cousins can read them.

That's one thing that I have going for me - the senior guy that I work with actually sold his basketball card collection for $40K in 1990. Yup, that's not a typo.

Man, that musta been one helluva basketball card collection, 'cause for many years they didn't even make hoops cards! I've got a few classic cards of guys like Hot Rod Hundley, Maurice Stokes and Oscar Robertson...pretty cool stuff.

As for co-workers, I've found that the ridicule and abuse is usually outweighed by the few people who know what I'm talking about. At my current job, I was able to purchase a collection of maybe 500 late silver/early bronze MLJ and Harvey books, most in high grade, for a very reasonable price. Another guy who left the company awhile back has a large collection of SA Marvel and DC just sitting in his garage, and keeps promising to sell 'em to me...

I read my moderns each Saturday, and then pass them over to my wife. We read them together in bed, lughing and talking about like like best friends on a sleepover.

All my books, new or old, go into a mylar with a backing board; SA books get a buffered board.

The books are then sorted into plastic magazine upright-storage boxes, and set on wooden shelves in our bedroom. The open face of the shelves is shielded from sunlight by an AF #15 wall scroll hung over the front of the case.

I have only read about 2% of my books (high grade raw/slabbed gold-silver-bronze DCs). 99% of my comic time is spent pursuing another book to add to my collection...The other 1% is looking at the collection (usually only the covers). I know it's weird....but I love the THRILL OF THE PURSUIT! I spend WAY more time seeking out a book than even looking at the book once it's in my collection! Is this true for you all?...Watching dealers inventories/ ebay/ auctions WAY more than noticing your own collection?

Edian: Maybe you should show your family a few of the big $ auctions on eBay... smile.gif

And whatever you do, don't let your cousins learn English, or they'll be tearing through your comic collection like termites!

I did it, and they told me: and how many comic books like that you have and if you have any why don't sell them, then I answer: because I'm waiting for the price go up, and the look me and roll the eyes while say then you never are going to sell them. smile.gif

And you're right when I heard that one of my cousins it's learning English that would be a RED focus, time to say that boy it's no welcome anymore, smile.gif

I used to have some aircrafts models in my room, one day they come and play with all of them, one doesn't have wheels anymore, another one lost his wing, the rest only get scratches, but they try to make fly my F-14 and finish on the garbage (total loss) after that I drop the aircraft modeling and start with the comics.

Whenever I buy comics, I usually look for the highest graded key issues I can find. When they arrive in the mail, I usually tear open the packages with fanatical zeal. Within a couple minutes, I am flipping through the pages, drawing mustaches on the characters I don't like sumo.gif, and drawing hearts around my favorite heroes cloud9.gif.

Whenever I buy comics, I usually look for the highest graded key issues I can find. When they arrive in the mail, I usually tear open the packages with fanatical zeal. Within a couple minutes, I am flipping through the pages, drawing mustaches on the characters I don't like sumo.gif, and drawing hearts around my favorite heroes cloud9.gif.

Oh Jeez!!!,..me too!!,...are you naked when you do it too?

J.D.