• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still looking kinda Puny to me...

50 posts in this topic

Why does everyone pick on this guy? He's got just the right body type to play a comic book hero, IMO.

Part of the trouble with comic book movies is that Hollywood tries to adhere to the completely unrealistic body types presented in the books. Superbulkoids are all well and fine on the page, but people just don't look like that. You can't have body builders playing superheros all the time.

Movies that resonate the most with people are movies with characters to whom people can relate. Regular people in extreme circumstances. Frank Castle needs to be a normal guy, not some pumped up musclehead with guns. sign-rantpost.gif

While I wasn't thrilled with Ben Affleck as Daredevil (couldn't get the fun-faced Ben from South Park outta my mind), I thought that the DD and Spidey movies did a pretty good job of using 'average Joes' as superheroes.

The Punisher, on the other hand, is a bit more buff in the comics than either Spidey or DD - not to mention meaner...

*If you've never seen the Australian flick "The Chopper," starring Eric Bana (of Hulk fame), you should check it out... it's wild stuff, and Bana in that movie looks like a deranged Punisher... he could pull of the Punisher role for sure...

Why does everyone pick on this guy? He's got just the right body type to play a comic book hero, IMO.

Part of the trouble with comic book movies is that Hollywood tries to adhere to the completely unrealistic body types presented in the books. Superbulkoids are all well and fine on the page, but people just don't look like that. You can't have body builders playing superheros all the time.

Movies that resonate the most with people are movies with characters to whom people can relate. Regular people in extreme circumstances. Frank Castle needs to be a normal guy, not some pumped up musclehead with guns. sign-rantpost.gif

He dosen't have to be a "pumped up muscle head". This guy's physique is not the only problem. He just dosen't look the part. There are guys who are not necessarily big, or physically intimidating, but still look tough. DeNiro is a prime example(see my avatar). He's got "the look". There's something in his face that says "don't F%$K with me". This guy lacks that inherent quality, so the string bean physique just adds insult to injury.

Plus, if you want to talk about "real life", if a guy wanted to go vigilante on the streets, he would need the physique just to get the job done. Again, not necessarily a roid-head(since those muscles are for show) but a practical amount of muscle that would naturally come from the intense training required. Frank Castle can't be a "normal" guy, because what he's doing would require extraordinary physical ability.

He just dosen't look the part. There are guys who are not necessarily big, or physically intimidating, but still look tough. DeNiro is a prime example(see my avatar). He's got "the look". There's something in his face that says "don't F%$K with me". This guy lacks that inherent quality, so the string bean physique just adds insult to injury.

That's it in a nutshell, the character needs that "toughness" factor. Guys like DeNiro, Pacino, Bronson, etc. (in their prime) weren't big at all, but they could pull off nasty roles due to their inherent toughness and their ability to pull off a character with a mean streak.

This guy couldn't shine Bronson's shoes.

I agree. I hate to get down on something until I see more, but Crispin Glover and Bruno Kirby appear more intimidating... so far. Maybe Trailer #2 will get better?

Why not go a little psycho.. get Benicio Del Torro or Ralphie from the Sopranos to work out and get a black dye job

893whatthe.gif

While I am no Punisher expert (by a long shot - get it? huh? huh? foreheadslap.gif) I confess he looks a bit unintimading. But I have also seen enough pre-production material to know that what we see and what we get are often not gonna be the same thing. Who knows what the upshot will be?

While I am no Punisher expert (by a long shot - get it? huh? huh? foreheadslap.gif) I confess he looks a bit unintimading. But I have also seen enough pre-production material to know that what we see and what we get are often not gonna be the same thing. Who knows what the upshot will be?
confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Exactly! grin.gif

I'll do it! I'll do it! grin.gif

Here's me in a drunken brood:(Yes, that's me for real.)

AK.jpg

Thank you. acclaim.gif

I sometimes practice my technique in public. I'll look people straight in the eyes, and see how many I can get to cross the street to avoid me. grin.gif