• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Marks?

17 posts in this topic

This may not be the right place to post this and may be available somewhere but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I know many pedigree books have distinctive marks on the covers, e.g., some of the Crippen books are marked with a "D" (hence D copies). Some of the Okijama books have Okijama and a date on the cover. What are some of the other distinctive marks outside of condition?

I found the list of Pedigrees that CGC recognizes on their site but nothing about recognition marks:

* Allentown

* Aurora

* Bethlehem

* Big Apple

* Boston

* Bowling Green

* Carson City

* Central Valley

* Chicago

* Cosmic Aeroplane

* Crowley

* Curator

* Davis Crippen “D” Copy

* Denver

* Don Rosa Collection

* Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

* Edgar Church (Mile High)

* Gaines File Copy

* Green River

* Hawkeye

* Kansas City

* Larson

* Lost Valley

* Mass. Copy

* Mohawk Valley

* Northford

* Northland

* Nova Scotia

* Oakland

* Ohio

* Okajima

* Pacific Coast

* Palo Alto

* Pennsylvania

* Recil Macon

* River City

* Rockford

* Salida

* San Francisco

* Spokane

* Twilight

* Vancouver

* Western Penn

* White Mountain

* Windy City

* Winnipeg

Green River books have date stamps on most covers.

Okajima books have the ladies name written on the top of the font cover.

Early Winnipegs have the owners name on the cover.

Pay copies have writing all over the place.

Very good article. Thanks. The Mile High distinction is interesting. I have two Mile High copies. Catman #13 and Thrilling Comics #76. Neither have any marks - shown below. I remember when I sent the Catman in to CGC, they called me because they thought it to be the Church copy. I bought in 1982 or so and was told it was the Mile High. But I assume CGC found the condition very nice and that book is relatively scarce so maybe an easier ID.

I have several Crippen copies with sporadic "D"s and some Big Apple copies that have no marks whatsoever. Without marks or authentication, I am curious how CGC certifies pedigrees. For instance, I have a copy of America's Best #17 which the seller said was the Big Apple copy. I bought it a while back but am curious if it can be verified.

2113904740102488065S600x600Q85.jpg

2585060430102488065S600x600Q85.jpg

Crippens have a code on the first page:

Mar021941.jpg

Here's a Mile High from the '50's with a stamp on the cover:

Spook221MileHigh.jpg

Bethlehem (date stamp):

ForSaleJIM61VF-.jpg

Ohio (writing on cover):

Bullseye7Ohio6.jpg

White Mountain (year on cover [sorry Jim, it's the only WM I ever had]):

TTA499-1.jpg

Cape Cod ("ND" written on cover):

Headline_30_Cape_Cod.jpg

Rockford (date stamp on cover):

Headline_27_Rockford.jpg

This may not be the right place to post this and may be available somewhere but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I know many pedigree books have distinctive marks on the covers, e.g., some of the Crippen books are marked with a "D" (hence D copies). Some of the Okijama books have Okijama and a date on the cover. What are some of the other distinctive marks outside of condition?

I found the list of Pedigrees that CGC recognizes on their site but nothing about recognition marks:

* Allentown

* Aurora

* Bethlehem

* Big Apple

* Boston

* Bowling Green

* Carson City

* Central Valley

* Chicago

* Cosmic Aeroplane

* Crowley

* Curator

* Davis Crippen “D” Copy

* Denver

* Don Rosa Collection

* Gaines File Copy

* Green River

* Hawkeye

* Kansas City

* Larson

* Lost Valley

* Mass. Copy

* Mohawk Valley

* Northford

* Northland

* Nova Scotia

* Oakland

* Ohio

* Okajima

* Pacific Coast

* Palo Alto

* Pennsylvania

* Recil Macon

* River City

* Rockford

* Salida

* San Francisco

* Spokane

* Twilight

* Vancouver

* Western Penn

* White Mountain

* Windy City

* Winnipeg

they must have rescinded one, as i have a book with a "Toledo" label.

Angelo's answer was pretty definitive but I'll add a bit. White Mountains are mostly pen dated on 60's and 70's books but not so much on the 50's books. Inside is also the actual date including day/month/year the book was purchased.

Ohio's are mostly in a grease type pencil. Bowling Greens are date stamped very similar to Green Rivers.

Jim

Very good article. Thanks. The Mile High distinction is interesting. I have two Mile High copies. Catman #13 and Thrilling Comics #76. Neither have any marks - shown below. I remember when I sent the Catman in to CGC, they called me because they thought it to be the Church copy. I bought in 1982 or so and was told it was the Mile High. But I assume CGC found the condition very nice and that book is relatively scarce so maybe an easier ID.

2113904740102488065S600x600Q85.jpg

Church books have a distinctive smell as well which makes many of them identifiable regardless of whether there are markings. A lot of Church books don't have the "code" on their covers.

By the way that Catman is amazing! (worship)

* Allentown

* Aurora

* Bethlehem

* Big Apple

* Boston

* Bowling Green

* Carson City

* Central Valley

* Chicago

* Cosmic Aeroplane

* Crowley

* Curator

* Davis Crippen “D” Copy

* Denver

* Don Rosa Collection

* Gaines File Copy

* Green River

* Hawkeye

* Kansas City

* Larson

* Lost Valley

* Mass. Copy

* Mohawk Valley

* Northford

* Northland

* Nova Scotia

* Oakland

* Ohio

* Okajima

* Pacific Coast

* Palo Alto

* Pennsylvania

* Recil Macon

* River City

* Rockford

* Salida

* San Francisco

* Spokane

* Twilight

* Vancouver

* Western Penn

* White Mountain

* Windy City

* Winnipeg

they must have rescinded one, as i have a book with a "Toledo" label.

There are lots of slabs out there with Circle 8 on the label. (shrug)

Mike

I've got a list of all of the pedigrees with their marks printed out that I keep taped to the inside back cover of my OS guide so I can always use it for reference when digging through boxes...and hopefully find an unidentified pedigree.

Here are a few more examples of cover markings:

Cosmic Aeroplane with check marks on cover and interior

Can you point out where the checkmarks on the cover are?

From where I am sitting, they do not appear very evident/clear or is it usually like this with the Cosmic Aeroplane books?

From where I am sitting, they do not appear very evident/clear or is it usually like this with the Cosmic Aeroplane books?

Sorry, it's a crappy scan :( The cover check mark is just below the "m" in "comics" Several of the interior panels also have check marks next to them.

Sorry, it's a crappy scan :( The cover check mark is just below the "m" in "comics" Several of the interior panels also have check marks next to them.

Thanks for your answer! (thumbs u

I did noticed that slash line under the "m", but thought it was just one of those random lines that are seen so often on GA books and normally viewed as a defect or flaw.

Are the interior markings similar to these "lines" or more in the shape of an actual checkmark?

If it was a decent scan, you could see there is a bit of a downstroke on the cover checkmark. As to the interiors, it varies, but the ones I've seen usually tend to have a much larger upstroke than downstroke.