• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

China eyes French comic book festival as springboard to Europe

15 posts in this topic

It's a good read.

I've never heard of the Angouleme comic book festival, nor have I seen a Chinese comic book. Maybe some of our boardies living abroad can shed some light on these events.

Angouleme comic book festival is the world's largest (and some say most prestigious) comic book con. It's more of a festival as the entire town participates, every store/street/bus is decked out in comic paraphernalia. I think per square foot the SD comic con convention is larger than the Angouleme "main building" but Angouleme is still 90% pure comics and not media or Sci-Fi like SD.

It is however mainly aimed at Belgo-French Bande Dessinées with a smattering of US comics. Manga seems to be very well represented as well.

Lots of US comic stars have been guests at Angouleme over the years, but sadly I have yet to go :(

It's a good read.

I've never heard of the Angouleme comic book festival, nor have I seen a Chinese comic book. Maybe some of our boardies living abroad can shed some light on these events.

I was in China and the "autonomous region of Tibet" in 1992. I looked everywhere for Chinese comics and drove interpreters nuts with requests.

The only "comics" I found were in Tibet in an hotel - weird place but that's another story.

They were, I am sure, pirated reprints of old Warrens or Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant - not Vampirella, but stuff like 1984 - that had had Chinese replacing the original language, be it French, English whatever.

They weren't for sale, just lying around as one might find in a waiting room or dentist/doctor's premises.

Appalling production values and I sort of wondered why they bothered.

I think I "souvenired" an issue and I'll try to find it. May take a while.

It's a good read.

Angouleme comic book festival is the world's largest (and some say most prestigious) comic book con. It's more of a festival as the entire town participates, every store/street/bus is decked out in comic paraphernalia. I think per square foot the SD comic con convention is larger than the Angouleme "main building" but Angouleme is still 90% pure comics and not media or Sci-Fi like SD.

It is however mainly aimed at Belgo-French Bande Dessinées with a smattering of US comics. Manga seems to be very well represented as well.

Lots of US comic stars have been guests at Angouleme over the years, but sadly I have yet to go :(

Thanks for the info. 90% comics sounds great, I love pop culture but not when I'm looking for books on my want list.

It's a good read.

Thanks for the info. 90% comics sounds great, I love pop culture but not when I'm looking for books on my want list.

i've never been to Angouleme, but i know guys here who sell US comics and go every years since 90's at that con', some years ago they met and have a drink with Will EISNER :o , it's not easy to met a US artist when you live overseas but EISNER was :cloud9: for them

I'd love to go. The scale of it and the first class status comics have there would be a treat to see.

It's a good read.

I was in China and the "autonomous region of Tibet" in 1992. I looked everywhere for Chinese comics and drove interpreters nuts with requests.

I don't know what the landscape is like now and if there are any mainland comics being produced in numbers (I guess i could read the article), but at that point I'm thinking "chinese comics" would have exclusively meant manhua from Hong Kong.

Ma Wing Shing is the only artist I really know, although I did read the other Jademan imports back in the day.

411px-Chinese_Hero_Issue_2-01.jpg

I don't know about Chinese comics but recently in France a graphic album came out documenting the life of an artist employed as an assistant in one of the Manwha shops in South Korea. Here's an article about it.

Also, the same (French obviously) mag has started a monthly series called: World Comics Tour, documenting the current landscape of comics across the globe. Already in the series Spain, Finland, Argentina, Italy and South Africa have been covered but not China yet (maybe in February, and if so, I'll post about it). Here's the entry for South Africa from the January issue as well below the Manwha article -

51561-Manwha-Slaves.jpg.ac8280c249b66db46dee5243c476bfb2.jpg

51562-WT-SA-1.jpg.75f86140a13cfd2759eae0008c888919.jpg

51563-WT-SA-2.jpg.2723dab48176bd1d4e8a2774c4281f42.jpg

I don't know about Chinese comics but recently in France a graphic album came out documenting the life of an artist employed as an assistant in one of the Manwha shops in South Korea. Here's an article about it.

Also, the same (French obviously) mag has started a monthly series called: World Comics Tour, documenting the current landscape of comics across the globe. Already in the series Spain, Finland, Argentina, Italy and South Africa have been covered but not China yet (maybe in February, and if so, I'll post about it). Here's the entry for South Africa from the January issue as well below the Manwha article -

Tous ces mots ! Je dois le lire plus .

If I could go to any comics con, it would be Angouleme. I doubt that I'd find any books on my want list though!

I got a huge stack of manwha in a lot buy a while back. Overall great production values and artwork, but since I couldn't read a word of it and don't know the conventions, it didn't make much sense to me.

Jack

What in blazes was the word that got *spooned*? (shrug)

Here's a quick and dirty translation of the second and third paragraphs about manhwa:

"Q: What is the typical career path for a local (read, South-Korean) comic-book penciller?

A: The goal is to get published in the specialized weeklies and to do whatever is necessary to have a long-lasting series. As soon as the first pages are published, the pressure's on. The pressure comes straight from the readers! Readers are invited every week to fill in questionnaires to express what needs to be changed in a strip (e.g., better utilize a secondary cast character, lenghthen fight sequences, ...). It's like TV on Demand! If the readers aren't satisfied any more, that's it, the series is pulled. On the other hand, if the series gets traction then one must pick up the speed.

Q: What is the schedule?

A: Between 15 to 20 pages a week. To that end publishers subdisize to arrange for the authors to hire assistants - this is the case for Kim (Scrooge Note: see article pictures) - who finish off the work. Everything's done in a studio. Generally the studio is nothing more than an apartment sometimes rented by the publisher, furnished with drawing tables, a sleeping corner, a coffee machine, a computer for reference research, a Nintendo for entertainment. It's really a close-loop life. Everyone works between 12 to 16 hours a day, 4- to 5-day a week. Sleepless nights are common because the common goal is to get ahead to afford for a longer weekend to relax even though after such a grueling schedule, authors end up sleeping through that weekend."

Soooo, nothing glorious here. Kinda sounds like comic shops in the 40's in the US in fact!

"late" in French.

[Typical wise-acre post from me -- exactly what I replied to your Henry info but in French. There's a word for amusing oneself like that, but it would probably turn into *spoon*.]

I was about to write the same final comment that you made! The description could have come straight out of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

Jack

Here's a quick and dirty translation of the second and third paragraphs about manhwa:

"Q: What is the typical career path for a local (read, South-Korean) comic-book penciller?

A: The goal is to get published in the specialized weeklies and to do whatever is necessary to have a long-lasting series. As soon as the first pages are published, the pressure's on. The pressure comes straight from the readers! Readers are invited every week to fill in questionnaires to express what needs to be changed in a strip (e.g., better utilize a secondary cast character, lenghthen fight sequences, ...). It's like TV on Demand! If the readers aren't satisfied any more, that's it, the series is pulled. On the other hand, if the series gets traction then one must pick up the speed.

Q: What is the schedule?

A: Between 15 to 20 pages a week. To that end publishers subdisize to arrange for the authors to hire assistants - this is the case for Kim (Scrooge Note: see article pictures) - who finish off the work. Everything's done in a studio. Generally the studio is nothing more than an apartment sometimes rented by the publisher, furnished with drawing tables, a sleeping corner, a coffee machine, a computer for reference research, a Nintendo for entertainment. It's really a close-loop life. Everyone works between 12 to 16 hours a day, 4- to 5-day a week. Sleepless nights are common because the common goal is to get ahead to afford for a longer weekend to relax even though after such a grueling schedule, authors end up sleeping through that weekend."

Soooo, nothing glorious here. Kinda sounds like comic shops in the 40's in the US in fact!

"late" in French.

[Typical wise-acre post from me -- exactly what I replied to your Henry info but in French. There's a word for amusing oneself like that, but it would probably turn into *spoon*.

Gotcha ;)