• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 55 vs FF 57

37 posts in this topic

Why does FF 57 get no respect as compared to FF 55? They both have Stan Lee -script. Pencils by Jack Kirby. Inks by Joe Sinnott. Kirby/Sinnott cover. Silver Surfer cover appearance. There are way more FF 55 in the CGC Census. A CGC 9.2 copy of each issue is up for auction on ebay now. I have no connection to the auctions.

Fantastic Four 55 CGC 9.2 OW/W Item number: 180208260095 bid $589.99

Fantastic Four 57 CGC 9.2 OW Item number: 330206229279 bid $182.50

Although they are both great looking covers, the 55 just stands out more. Hero vs. hero covers are very iconic and collectors have always had a preferance for them.

That and the 55 simply put just kicks azz over the 57 :shy:

I believe FF57 is the greatest Silver Age book ever :cloud9:

And it has the best splash page ever as well, Doom standing over Surfer after stealing the Power Cosmic all in Kirby goodness (worship)

It's a slabbed issue...it has everything to do with the better cover... doh!

Debating the merits of story, writer, etc are rarely relevant when comparing why a slabbed issue sells for more than another. Hell, I bet even some buyers couldn't tell you why other than "it's a cool cover"...

Jim

Be interesting to see the final sale price.

Both are great books but 55 just seems more popular. Not sure on the census of the book, maybe there is less #55 's at this grade? I really like both but 55 was one of the first FF books I ever bought, I started collecting SS shortly after.

FF #55 was the first SA book I ever bought as a kid. It's appeal is the deep purple background, as well as the splash page type cover. #57 is a sweet cover a well but a little more "busy " so to speak. Both are sweet and are mini grails for me at this time

FF 55 total blue label 9.2-96 = 73

blue qual, sig, restored, total

Near Mint + 9.6 11 0 0 0 11

Near Mint 9.4 23 0 0 4 27

Near Mint - 9.2 39 0 0 3 42

FF 57 total blue label 9.2-9.6 = 53

Near Mint + 9.6 13 0 0 0 13

Near Mint 9.4 20 0 0 0 20

Near Mint - 9.2 20 1 0 2 23

only one book, higher than 9.6 for both titles, the much discussed 55 9.9

so that's the scarcity argument lost.

Debating the merits of story, writer, etc are rarely relevant when comparing why a slabbed issue sells for more than another. Hell, I bet even some buyers couldn't tell you why other than "it's a cool cover"...

Jim

(thumbs u

Guess the collectors like it more.

FF 55 total blue label 9.2-96 = 73

blue qual, sig, restored, total

Near Mint + 9.6 11 0 0 0 11

Near Mint 9.4 23 0 0 4 27

Near Mint - 9.2 39 0 0 3 42

FF 57 total blue label 9.2-9.6 = 53

Near Mint + 9.6 13 0 0 0 13

Near Mint 9.4 20 0 0 0 20

Near Mint - 9.2 20 1 0 2 23

only one book, higher than 9.6 for both titles, the much discussed 55 9.9

so that's the scarcity argument lost.

Jim

Yep. This is pretty much the definitive argument. If comics could be displayed much like stamps and coins, one could provide write ups and associated photocopies to display the rationale behind one's collection. This would provide a greater knowledge of the book. (Though, writing this does trigger a memory of Scrooges 'A Month in the Life' Project. where he annotated for us the significance of comic books from March 1952.)